First Rifle for Western Hunting- what would you do?

Rich M

WKR
Ive got a mid 1980s stainless mod 70 in 3006, its a controlled feed. Shoots better than i can. Recoil is on the heavy side.

Id be looking for a 7-08 or 6.5 cm or something without much snap when it goes off.

I shoot 350 Legend, 243, and 357 mag from rifle before i pick up that 3006.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ive got a mid 1980s stainless mod 70 in 3006, its a controlled feed. Shoots better than i can. Recoil is on the heavy side.
CRF was either Pre 1964 or post mid 90’s. 80’s vintage was all push feed. Still great guns.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
Coming from someone who was in the exact same spot as you. All my hunting was in shotgun zones for whitetail prior to booking western trips.

Another vote for a Tikka 300 WSM.

I could make a strong case for the 300 WSM being the best do all western rifle caliber. My first western rifle hunt was with a CA Ridgeline 300 WSM. It led me down the road of building my own custom 7 SAUM.

Tikkas are legit. Be careful going down the “what scope is best” rabbit hole on this forum. Doesn’t matter if it’s a $300 scope or a $3k scope. Some people on here will think it’s junk. The Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 served me well (2 for 2 @ 325yds and 425yds). It’s a great lightweight package and fits your budget. I have since moved onto a Mark 5 HD. Haven’t hunted with it yet though.

roperking

FNG
Personally, I would go with a tikka T3x and spend the rest on a good scope! In the future, you can upgrade it but that is going to get you most of what you want!
For the money this is the best option. Tikkas are great rifles!

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider

Id be looking for a 7-08 or 6.5 cm or something without much snap when it goes off.

I shoot 350 Legend, 243, and 357 mag from rifle before i pick up that 3006.
CRF wasn't brought back to the Mod 70 until 1992 with the Classics.

Here is my favorite rifle of all time when it comes to what people consider prototypical “western” hunting. Its an M700 mountain rifle in 280 (22 inch light contour barrel) that I restocked with a McMillan KS stock. It wears a Leupold 6x36. Yep, a fixed 6x. Its handy, light, and can hit vitals out to the farthest ranges that I have any business shooting at game (around 400 yards with a good rest).

8BADE288-EA43-4CF2-8E2F-2A6C7123A4FF.jpeg

xsn10s

WKR
My pushfeed M70 30-06 FWT came in a factory McMillan stock. I got it cheap a decade ago because it has a pitted barrel. I mounted a Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8x32 Mildot ret and it shoots just fine with 180 Partitions. Made a target load with 168 SMK's and hit steel out to 800 yards. Nice handy package and my go to out to 400-500 yards. I'll try some 200 plus grain bullets to see if I can stretch out the range. But for such a light rig I'd feel better staying in 400 yards.

Rich M

WKR
CRF wasn't brought back to the Mod 70 until 1992 with the Classics.
Dad bought it before 92 - I graduated college that year, so have something to date it with. Stainless, plastic stock, bolt grabs and holds the round straight.

That's all i know about it.

Assuming we’re talking about post 64 Classics, not push feeds, and if given the choice, I prefer the earlier New Haven, Conn versions. But I’d probably take a recent BACO model over a SC build version. Like anything else mass produced, none were perfect, but none were outright bad either. I like the older style open trigger, but the newer boxed trigger is workable too. I still think they are the best commonly found mass produced rifle available today.
Yup you got it that’s what I was asking thanks.

I’ve been a western hunter, living in western states, my whole life. There isn’t much you can’t do with a rifle chambered in a standard cartridge between 25 and 33 caliber, and a variable scope maxing out at 8x to 12x. An awful lot if “western” rifle lore is BS.
Yeah, I've shot a lot of "western" game with a .257 roberts and a 2 3/4x redfield scope.... No elk with that rig, but mulies and pronghorns for sure. That said I have upped my game with a Seekins PH2 in 300wm and a vortex razor LH but is about a grand over your budget (buy once, cry once) Comes in at just over eight and a half lbs. The only thing I don't like about the OP's current rig is the single shot pc. Can't argue with everyones suggestions though.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Dad bought it before 92 - I graduated college that year, so have something to date it with. Stainless, plastic stock, bolt grabs and holds the round straight.

That's all i know about it.
Does it have a big claw extractor that runs the length of the bolt?

What’s funny is I had to think about when I went to college to get the dates right too. I bought my first Classic M70 my Sophomore year in 96. I remember that was not long after they were re-released and it took me a few years of savings to buy one. In 30-06. Still slays today.

Last edited:

xsn10s

WKR
I like claw extractor type rifles. I have Mausers so I'm a fan. I'm a fan of the pushfeeds too. Their beauty lies in the barrel not needing a extractor cut out. I have one and when the barrel needs replacing I'll order a short chambered barrel and finish ream it myself. When it comes to Winchesters it's pretty esoteric. I try to stick with New Haven when I can.

I have a 30-06 in a Browning with the BOSS. Not flashy, just kills stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
My understanding the "Classic" was introduced in 1992.
You're right. It was 92. Good history here. I still think if memory serves me right, they were only released in limited runs for the first couple years prior to 94, but those were my college years and I drank a lot of beer!