Fixed Blade Knife Recommendation

NDGuy

WKR

Really like mine.
Too expensive for what they are IMO

Benchmade Steep Country or Bark River would be great for way under that price.

Randle

WKR
He asked for a recommendation on a fixed blade . So weight is a concern.
OP I will gladly carry my White river backpacker pro at 3.2 0zs for a fixed blade for camp and animal work

Fatcamp

WKR
Outdoor Edge Swingblade. Wife got it for me and it seemed kind of gimmicky, but darn if that thing doesn't hold an edge and just work.

Mojave

WKR
I have about 20 custom knives. I use a Havalon for normal deer, antelope type break downs and most of the bigger unzipping on elk and bigger.

My knife smith is Tim Olt. Because even though I have the skill to make knives the way he does and I have many times. I no longer have the time.

I have several of his skinners and his Bob Loveless hunters and short bullys.

I don't know what the rate is today, but mine were about $240 each. Come with a decent sheath.

I have several Bob Loveless "Nessmuk style knives" and Loveless hunters from several people. In my mind these and the Puukko type Finish knives are the best for hunting. 3-6 inch blade, good sized handle.

A real Loveless has hips on it as the handles is shaped. Olt doesn't do that. So if that is your thing you need to get after them with the grinding belt. I do all mine that way, as that is what Loveless did and that is what feels best to me.

As Loveless says "a knife ought to feel like your pecker in your hand when you are 16 years old".

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/9551003352 His business card is in the pages.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Broke down an entire bull elk with a folding havalon and two blades last year. Why carry the extra weight?
Broken blades. Seems to be par for the course with those. If you broke down a whole animal with one and didn't break a blade, you're a surgeon. I passed mine along to my wife. They are also wicked sharp and easy to nick yourself with the skinny blade. They work beautifully until you nick yourself or bone.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Edge Swingblade. Wife got it for me and it seemed kind of gimmicky, but darn if that thing doesn't hold an edge and just work.
I was on a guided hunt last year and the guide flew through animals with one of these. I got home and ordered the gut hook alone version, which is different steel and way cheaper, but I'd say based on what I saw, these knives are way better than you'd think. That said, I think they are made in China and if that's important to you, consider that. Lots of HIGH quality American made blades available now. Golden age of steel may be now.

This Buck Vanguard is a great Knife, This Rubber handle one won't slip in the hand when it is coated in blood either. Holds an edge well but sharpens back up quickly. Skinned, gutted, and quartered up three Axis deer all with tenderloins, back strap and neck meat with it and never once had to touch up the blade. However, I make my own sheaths out of rawhide. The sheath that comes with it is pretty poor. I want to add that I have used this knife since the early 80’s and had to buy a new one because someone stole my old one in a truck break in.I have lots of knives, however this is my go to knife when I have to process a kill. Not a Bush knife but a good hunting knife for sure.

1659121448941.png

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
@ODB

It depends.

Advances in steelmaking such as powder metallurgy mean that extremely-stainless steels now exist that significantly outperform older carbon steels, even ones like D2 that were near the top of the heap a generation ago.

Steels have come a long way; you can now get great toughness, edge retention and corrosion resistance in the same alloy. You can also max out on one of the properties with steels such as 3V (toughness), Maxamet (edge retention) and LC200N (corrosion resistance).

I get it.

I will say though that the vast majority of complaints I see are “can’t get my xxx-blade sharp”.

Broken blades. Seems to be par for the course with those. If you broke down a whole animal with one and didn't break a blade, you're a surgeon. I passed mine along to my wife. They are also wicked sharp and easy to nick yourself with the skinny blade. They work beautifully until you nick yourself or bone.

I did my half of a moose with two blades last year. No broken/lost blades. The guy doing the other half did both, broke and lost - and also stabbed himself. The difference was he thought we were in a race.

Fatcamp

WKR
I was on a guided hunt last year and the guide flew through animals with one of these. I got home and ordered the gut hook alone version, which is different steel and way cheaper, but I'd say based on what I saw, these knives are way better than you'd think. That said, I think they are made in China and if that's important to you, consider that. Lots of HIGH quality American made blades available now. Golden age of steel may be now.

Can't turn your nose up at a gift from your wife, Chinese or not. LOL

I just bought her a Bugout. Maybe she learned domething. Either way, surprised the knife works as well as it does.

Budget?

You can't beat an ESSE Izula for the money.

My most used is a Benchmade Hidden Canyon.

I have a Bob Dozier made (actually by Bob) Loveless skinner, it's my favorite, just a little big.

Never broke a blade in 2 elk, a mule deer and a pronghorn. What are you doing that breaks blades? Slow down and take your time... Even taking the head off the bull last year didn't break the blade. On elk I swap blades for sharpness.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Budget?

You can't beat an ESSE Izula for the money.

My most used is a Benchmade Hidden Canyon.

I have a Bob Dozier made (actually by Bob) Loveless skinner, it's my favorite, just a little big.
Do you ever feel like the Hidden Canyon is too small? I've been debating between that and a Steep Country but man I get the feeling that Hidden Canyon would leave me wanting a little more blade. Opinions?

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Never broke a blade in 2 elk, a mule deer and a pronghorn. What are you doing that breaks blades? Slow down and take your time... Even taking the head off the bull last year didn't break the blade. On elk I swap blades for sharpness.
Probably glancing bone. Doesn't take much to snap the disposables. I haven't used mine in awhile, but you're a better swordsman than I. I got a Kestrel Mountain Caper that I replaced my Havalon with and it's great. S90V. Great steel and ultra light. That's good for me. So many fantastic options today.

Do you ever feel like the Hidden Canyon is too small? I've been debating between that and a Steep Country but man I get the feeling that Hidden Canyon would leave me wanting a little more blade. Opinions?
I've never done anything bigger than a big whitetail... And really no plans to.

But for that size, it's never been too small. Or really made me wish for bigger.

My love for it is really because of the size.

OP
JMo25

JMo25

FNG
So much great insight. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
So many options from which to choose.
Production or custom?
Large or small?
Edge retention or ease of re-sharpening
Are you hunting out of a camp where weight and space are not a concern.
Simple hide removal or caping (no holes in skin).
Boner or Nessmuck or Hunter or Semi-Skinner blade.
One do it all or a combo pack?

tclaaf0.png

Quien Sabe,

GWB