Fixed Blade Knife Recommendation

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to Helle knives, have a fixed blade I bought about 40 years ago. It's a laminated blade and holds an edge very well. I've also have one of their folders and it is also holds an edge very well.

Any Mora and a light weight sharpener will take on almost any task. Also victorinox. For something sentimental to pass on you can go with a custom.

ChrisA

WKR
So many options from which to choose.
Production or custom?
Large or small?
Edge retention or ease of re-sharpening
Are you hunting out of a camp where weight and space are not a concern.
Simple hide removal or caping (no holes in skin).
Boner or Nessmuck or Hunter or Semi-Skinner blade.
One do it all or a combo pack?

tclaaf0.png

Quien Sabe,

GWB
GWB,

What's the fourth in from the right with what looks like curly maple handle? That one caught my eye.

Thanks,

Chris

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan of the benchmade saddle mountain skinner. I whitetail hunt mainly and most of my cleaning work is in a skinning shed. I opted for the s90v non gut hook knife as I have a dedicated gut hook/zipper for opening them up. I think I cleaned 8-9 deer with it last year and was still razor sharp.

for the money, a Buck 113 with s30v (they have a custom shop that's very affordable too) it will be better than a similar benchmade and quite a bit cheaper

if budget isn't a concern, i would start shopping custom knife makers and find one that speaks to you, there are some seriously beautiful field knives out there, that also function well.

i have a pile of knives, from customs to benchmades, and if i was shopping for a no frills hunting knife right now that i didn't have to wait on, it would be that buck 113 with s30v.

i have a BM altitude, and really don't care for s90v for a hunting knife, i still can't get through an elk with one without touching up, and if you let them get dull in the field, you better have a substantial sharpening setup with you.... i wouldn't carry it as my only knife personally.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
GWB,

What's the fourth in from the right with what looks like curly maple handle? That one caught my eye.

Thanks,

Chris
If I am correct this is the one in question......

I5aFy3p.png

M94mf8Y.png

KEnbsoj.png

iF3sgJM.png

That knife is by Tim Olt. The scales are Musk Ox horn. I have a number of his knives and at present his creations are my favorite.

FWIW, Tim is very reasonable when it comes to price vs. the quality of his knives.

Here are the specs......

gPthbt3.png

ya!

GWB

I have two SpeedGoats from Montana Knife Co. Very sharp and have used them on several breakdowns without resharpening. Very light weight and the paracord wrap is easy to replace when it gets bloodied. As others mentioned, they sell out fast when they drop. They are probably at TAC Big Sky right now and should have inventory if you order quick.

Another vote here for MKC. Got a new Blackfoot about three weeks ago and I’ very pleased with it.

FlyGuy

WKR
Benchmade hidden canyon for me

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

sndmn11

WKR

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
That is a beautiful collection! I’ve never used a nessmuk style blade on game, what is you opinion on their utility for skinning and removing quarters? Out of the blade profiles you have laid out, which do you prefer for skinning and breaking down game?

Let me first issue a disclaimer. I am in Texas and I hunt out of a camp. Typically, I do not field dress, rather bring back the animal, whole, hang and go to work. I do not have the occasion to skin elk, bear, moose, etc. I skin more hogs than anything else. So, the following thoughts may not be relevant to your situation. Next, my taste in knifes has evolved over the last ten years or so. I have been fortunate to be able to try quite a few different types and styles of knives, both production and custom. Finally, asking a knife-slut which style he prefers' is kinda like opening a Pandora's box, but.......

A Nessmuk style knife works great in a skinning knife, but IMHO it does have minor limitations.
I like a knife with what I call “belly”. I do not push with a knife when skinning. Rather I pull or flex my wrist in a downward motion. If you think about it, there can be incremental differences between a semi-skinner and a Nessmuk style blade.

a4cKBrz.png

Here are four that I collaborated with the maker during what I call my “nessmuk” period. The knife on the left is L6 steel, the other three are “Etched” A2 steel and do not show discoloration and staining like a polished blade of A2.

This may be drawing to fine a distinction, but to me the limitations of a Nessmuck style blade come when caping, taking out the backstraps and separating the ball joint socket on the hinds. I prefer the Semi-Skinner blade profile.........

fhvy72J.png

p9f4vlW.png

My idea of perfection in a Semi-Skinner", Etched A2 Steel

or a Loveless drop point hunter style when including those two tasks, over the Semi-Skinner or Nessmuk.

LPnaIjv.png

D7f7otH.png

5eE9opO.png

Finally, I usually reserve "Boners" for the task of separating muscle meat from bone.

hJXOA21.png

Any will work when it comes down to it, and YMMV.

ya!

GWB