Ford-150 Tremor Feedback

OP
Mule3006Elk
I found the opposite. I have always been an F-150 guy, but after looking at all options, I recently bought another brand and have no regrets leaving ford. I loved the 3.5 ecoboost engine, but I was sick of constant warrant work and dealing with ford's service dept. Ford quality has also become nearly as bad as GM. In fact, Consumer Reports listed the F150 as a "do not buy" and the powerboost hybrid as the #1 least reliable vehicle of any car or truck. I would look at other trucks, and IMO, the Tremor package is more about graphics. You would get a better off-road truck by looking at an xlt or lariat and adding Elka or Dobinsons suspension and better tires.
Concerning review regarding service issues.
Which brand if you don't mind me asking?

OP
Mule3006Elk
For how much they cost with any options, you might as well jump up to a base raptor IMO over a decently optioned tremor.

That’s the predicament I’m currently in. I’m probably going to end up in a 2020 raptor and get a long extended warranty from flood ford.
The raptor is too wide for my needs but it is a great looking truck

lak2004

WKR
All great feed back.

Thoughts on Ford reliability long-term? 10-15 years down the road. I keep my trucks a long
time. I was impressed with the features on the Tremor but reliability trumps all. I can't find a lot of information on Tremor reliability/recalls ect.

TBO, never owned a Ford. My 2010 Tundra, besides a cv boot seal issue (this year), has been extremely reliable. My son is getting my Tundra and this is the only reason I'm in the market for a new truck.

Anyone else think the 10 speed transmission is a POS? I test drove the Tremor today and it seemed very smooth. Cruising speed up to 83 mph.
Which motor is the one you're looking at? My 2013 3.5 Ecoboost has leaking exhaust manifolds that cost about $3k to fix, not sure if this issue was resolved on the newer years or not but it's a common issue for higher mileage Ecoboosts of the 1st gen motors.

Reactions: Duh

Super tag

WKR
There’s good info online, do some research and see what works for you, there are some interesting videos on YouTube as well, you can get a bad one with any brand.We have a 2 year old Powerboost, no Issues, the onboard 7kw generator is used everyday. Pretty cool truck.

Braaap

WKR
Please educate me re benefit. For my needs forest roads, BLM roads, camping, etc., is this necessary? My SR5 has standard 4WD and seems fine.
It’s basically a limited slip (rather than having an open diff) so it will send torque from the wheel thats getting poor traction to the one that has good traction. It can make a big difference in slippery conditions and for $500 is a no brained in my opinion on an off-road oriented truck.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
With any brand of truck you’ll find somebody who had a bad experience with one and swears off the whole brand. Most of them are good. Figure out what kind of engine you prefer (are you a turbo V6 or a V8 kinda guy?) and what looks/features/etc you want and go for it.

One person’s bad experience with a brand doesn’t guarantee you a bad experience. Nor does someone else’s great experience guarantee you such. I love my Ecoboost, wouldn’t trade it for anything. And I’ve got friends and relatives that feel the same about Silverados and Tundras.

Edit to add: The Tremor looks sweet.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
If you intend to keep your next new truck for 10-15 years, I would buy a Toyota. The new gen 3 tundras have had issues (mostly on the early 2022's), but so did the gen 2 tundras when they were introduced back in 2007. Toyota was quick to resolve those problems and I trust toyota will do the same with the new gen 3 model.

The new tundras are also the safest full size truck, they have the best resale value, and tend to be less expensive when compared to other brands with similar options. Plus, if you shop around you can also buy an 8-year $0 deductible platinum Toyota extended warranty for $900, or a 10-year for $1,545. A similar warranty with Ford, GM or Ram would cost much more, if that says anything.

If you like the Tremor, I would test drive a TRD PRO. The powertrain is incredible.

All great feed back.

Thoughts on Ford reliability long-term? 10-15 years down the road. I keep my trucks a long
time. I was impressed with the features on the Tremor but reliability trumps all. I can't find a lot of information on Tremor reliability/recalls ect.

TBO, never owned a Ford. My 2010 Tundra, besides a cv boot seal issue (this year), has been extremely reliable. My son is getting my Tundra and this is the only reason I'm in the market for a new truck.

Anyone else think the 10 speed transmission is a POS? I test drove the Tremor today and it seemed very smooth. Cruising speed up to 83 mph.
Your best bet for reliability is to go find a 20 or 21 tundra with low miles.

The only reasons to get a Tremor over a regular F150 are the factory installed lift, skid plates, and front locking differential. In my opinion the only REAL reason to get one is the front locking diff. If you don’t need these things or if they aren’t your top priority then you’re much better off getting another trim. You can always add these items later, but they won’t be warrantied. If you're more familiar with the Toyota trims I equate the Tremor trim to the TRD Off Road trim, and the Raptor to the TRD Pro. If you're good with the SR5 features I'd recommend going with an XLT or lariat if you want fancier interior options. The Tremors look sweet but personally I can't justify the additional cost for just appearance upgrades.

FWIW I upgraded the shocks on my XLT with fox coilovers and upper control arms for about $1400.00. This also leveled my front end. You can certainly do this to any truck and probably get a better suspension system than the factory Tremor shocks.

Last edited:
2017 F150 has 101,000 miles on it and has had both wheel bearings replaced and still has something not quite right with the front end after the second one was replaced. The tranny sticks once in awhile as well.

Not sure it will be great long term. I like to drive vehicles a long time as well but not sure i’ll get 10+ out of mine as i do get rid of them once i have to start dropping a $1000-2000 a year into them at the repair shop. Brand new i loved it.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Which motor is the one you're looking at? My 2013 3.5 Ecoboost has leaking exhaust manifolds that cost about $3k to fix, not sure if this issue was resolved on the newer years or not but it's a common issue for higher mileage Ecoboosts of the 1st gen motors.
10 speed V6 is the only option on the lot. Dealer said they rarely get the V8.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Input here has been great. As expected from RS.

Due to comments, I researched the transmission issue which was unknown to me. Being a Toyota guy and coming from a Toyota family I know nothing about the Ford brand. From what I've gathered Ford had/has an issue with their transmissions. Slipping issues. Clanking issues. The issue has not been resolved. For some clients the issue is resolved with a program update for others it doesn't help. For some as the program learns, in the 1st 1000 miles, it may go away for others it doesn't. A lot of customers said Ford tells them it's normal and does nothing maybe b/c they don't have a fix? To boot, a Tremor owner (150) has had his truck in the shop for multiple issues totaling almost 3 weeks of shop time.

I'm not here to bag on Ford. Just to make that clear. Just trying to sort out if my money is better put elsewhere. I've saved for 3.5 years to make this purchase, in anticipation of my son taking over my Tundra when he starts driving, so I don't take the decision lightly especially considering the NEW price of new trucks.

Last edited:
Input here has been great. As expected from RS.

Due to comments, I researched the transmission issue which was unknown to me. Being a Toyota guy and coming from a Toyota family I know nothing about the Ford brand. From what I've gathered Ford had/has an issue with their transmissions. Slipping issues. Clanking issues. The issue has not been resolved. For some clients the issue is resolved with a program update for others it doesn't help. For some as the program learns, in the 1st 1000 miles, it may go away for others it doesn't. A lot of customers said Ford tells them it's normal and does nothing maybe b/c they don't have a fix? To boot, a Tremor owner (150) is has had his truck in the shop for multiple issues totaling almost 3 weeks of shop time.

I'm not here to bag on Ford. Just to make that clear. Just trying to sort out if my money is better put elsewhere. I've saved for 3.5 years to make this purchase, in anticipation of my son taking over my Tundra when he starts driving, so I don't take the decision lightly especially considering the NEW price of new trucks.
All good things to keep in mind and research.

I was talking to a family friend over the weekend, he works in the auto parts manufacturing industry, supplies various components to most of the major brands including Toyota. The market was disrupted during the pandemic and still hasn't recovered. They are seeing component failures across the board for all auto brands, so it makes it hard to say which brand is the most reliable these days. It only makes your decision harder I guess, but it does make an extended factory warranty more attractive.

For how much they cost with any options, you might as well jump up to a base raptor IMO over a decently optioned tremor.

That’s the predicament I’m currently in. I’m probably going to end up in a 2020 raptor and get a long extended warranty from flood ford.
I don't think Ford produces a base Raptor.
They may list it on their website but you used to never see them roll off the assembly line in base trim...802A trim and $20k dealer markup was the norm, at least it was a few years ago.

Kenn

WKR

I love the Raptors but try to buy at MSRP, whereas I bought my Tremor at 3% below INVOICE. Also it’s a PITA to park because of the width, the turning circle is wider, and it is definitely a gas hog.

TNLC100

FNG
I looked at both Tremor and Tundra, ended up with 3rd gen Tundra and enjoying it, just made a 1600 mi trip and truck rode great. Have some nitpicky issues with it, but seems that is the way of all new vehicles these days. I did for the first time ever, opt for an extended Toyota warranty because I was nervous about buying a first year new generation truck. I think they are both great trucks honestly. If I was interested in a Tremor I would seriously consider buying an XLT and upgrading the suspension with Fox or Icon. The OEM suspension on the Tremor is not worth the added price IMO.

Jacack

WKR
i have a 22 tremor that has been great so far. i did level the front with new coil overs. i had a raptor before it and while i do miss the 6.2 raptor a bit the tremor has been good so far, the 3.5 has plenty of power and tows fine just gives up the mpg towing. I have around 13k on mine now and no problems. averages about 17.8 mpg on the highway doing 75+ with the stock 33s they come with.

Kenn

WKR
i have a 22 tremor that has been great so far. i did level the front with new coil overs. i had a raptor before it and while i do miss the 6.2 raptor a bit the tremor has been good so far, the 3.5 has plenty of power and tows fine just gives up the mpg towing. I have around 13k on mine now and no problems. averages about 17.8 mpg on the highway doing 75+ with the stock 33s they come with.
That’s almost exactly what I’m getting.