Getting into annealing...

Remhunter

FNG
I've been finally thinking about getting into annealing for better neck tension and brass life. There are a lot of different methods and different price points of tools to purchase for it. For those of you that have been doing it a long time, do you have any recommendations on which annealing machines and tools are a must have and which aren't? Any tips on anything?

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Just snag a bench source. It's expensive but does everything you need. Some guys like amp, but allot of us found it to be a waste of time and money to do one piece at a time. You can fabricate a mount and run a Dillon case feeder on them too to fully automate the process for the price of an amp. Annealeez works too, but single flame is just alright cuz you get momentary cooling/heating intensity as it rotates

OP
R

Remhunter

FNG
Just snag a bench source. It's expensive but does everything you need. Some guys like amp, but allot of us found it to be a waste of time and money to do one piece at a time. You can fabricate a mount and run a Dillon case feeder on them too to fully automate the process for the price of an amp. Annealeez works too, but single flame is just alright cuz you get momentary cooling/heating intensity as it rotates
Thanks for the tips! I will look into that

Chanimal

FNG
Time/cost thing for me. Depends on shooting volume. I use a standard soldering torch and a oversized socket in a drill. But if you want to save time and are intrigued by the consistency of specific tools. Spend the money.

I’m a go big big or go home person though. If I was to purchase and Annealer I would go with the amp induction unit. Feel free to ignore my opinion as I don’t have direct experience with annealing tools.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I've been contemplating building one of the annealing machines with a torch, but if I was to get/make an annealer, like above, go big or go home, and I'd get an induction unit.

But I've been pleased with my current method.

Propane torch, deep socket that fits the brass relativity tight, and a drill to socket adapter. 750f tempilaq and a metronome help me get a consistent time and make sure there annealed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
So just to be explicitly clear-

You and others have gone from AMP to bench source and are happy with that decision?

Have you actually observed any detrimental effects in the actual outcome?

I don't currently anneal, but want to get setup.
You might be saving me some $$$

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
So just to be explicitly clear-

You and others have gone from AMP to bench source and are happy with that decision?

Have you actually observed any detrimental effects in the actual outcome?

I don't currently anneal, but want to get setup.
You might be saving me some $$$
Myself and allot of the guys on LRO run the bench source, and have not seen any noticeable difference from members that use the AMP. My coworker let me try his last spring, and honestly it's coolish but not worth the extra time. IMO the only benefit it has over bench source is it's plugged in instead of running propane.

If I was stuck in some non ventilated dungeon I may go with the amp, but as long as windows and garages exist I'll just run gas

You can build your own induction annealer for cheap. I think anyone into reloading would enjoy making their own unit.

Here's a good video showing how to set up a handheld one, which I can attest works really well.

Here's another with the same timing controller but with a setup to control the case positioning.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just did what you are, and ended up with an amp. Regardless of the price or if people think it’s worth it or not, it’s a nice machine that takes all the guesswork and setup time out of it.

I have seen improvements in velocity deviation and can feel the difference when seating on an arbor press. Plus no more dinking with bushings or die adjustments, the brass is being reset after each firing, makes for consistent loads across firings.

I have an EP Integrations annealer. I know it’s not the best out there, but it’s simple in design, can do many different cartridges, and is inexpensive (relatively vs AMP) at $268.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought a Bench Source couple weeks ago, I set it up with 2 torches and it works great. Never annealed before so I can’t compare it with other units but I’m happy.

BWB

FNG
I've been running a BenchSource for a couple years now with a single "bulb tip" torch without any issue. Neck tension is always consistent.

Coors Man 264

Lil-Rokslider
Time/cost thing for me. Depends on shooting volume. I use a standard soldering torch and a oversized socket in a drill. But if you want to save time and are intrigued by the consistency of specific tools. Spend the money.

I’m a go big big or go home person though. If I was to purchase and Annealer I would go with the amp induction unit. Feel free to ignore my opinion as I don’t have direct experience with annealing tools.
Sorry for the questions after so much time, but, do you drop the brass in water directly after? Thx

Harvey_NW

WKR
Haven't annealed with it yet but I will say the case prep station works awesome, and the CS is great. I bought the Gen 1 before they had the aluminum wheels in all sizes but they said they were included in the original cost and would be sent once they were manufactured, got an email and they showed up same day right on ETA. Pretty awesome package for the price.

I have been using propane and a drill to do mine for years and all the cases look the same after with the color change going down exactly the same amount on each case. Outside of maybe a time savings advantage, has anyone who has used both the drill method and one of these cheaper machines seen that big of a difference on consistency to fork over the money?

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using propane and a drill to do mine for years and all the cases look the same after with the color change going down exactly the same amount on each case. Outside of maybe a time savings advantage, has anyone who has used both the drill method and one of these cheaper machines seen that big of a difference on consistency to fork over the money?
I just add the drill and torch as another 4-5 second step in the reloading process. Batch anneal, and put in the "Ready to Size bin". I don't do things that I find don't work after I test it. This method works and all the hand wringing over exact temperatures is wasted air. One would have to try to destroy a case to mess it up. I've tried different placement in the flame and time durations. Middle of flame, with a slow 2 rotation per second speed, and stop when the anneal just forms under the shoulder. The neck will flame off an orange color as well. Stop the instant you those indicators. Drop in a cookie sheet to avoid burning a bench.

thumbnail_image0.png