Go Deep Boys. Go Deep

I'd rather go deep and shoot a spike than a 6er close to the road!

Growing up hunting in the Midwest, we'd always see the biggest bucks jump up out of the nasty thick brush near the road or near our clubhouse. I never hunted those spots though haha. I'd either sit in the farthest corner of our property down in the bottoms near the giant sycamores or on my uncle's wheat field. I never killed a very big buck in either location, just a couple of decent ones. I just sat those places because I liked them.

I get what you mean though. I shot my first bull, a 4x5, 1/4 mile or less from a road.

go_deep

WKR
Elk are where you find them, one old timer told me. I've killed cows within a few hundred yards of the road, and other times I've ended up miles from the road before I run into them.
Sometimes you get lucky and get an easy elk, and sometimes you got to earn one.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I was chasing elk going deep before it was 'cool' and Mtn Ops was a 'thang'.
Then it was about 2009 I noticed that it was becoming over-populated, so I decided to switch tactics.

Im closer to 60 than I am to 50.
If Im lucky, I figure I have maybe 15 more elk hunts left.
Knowing, that, Ive been researching for places I can possibly continue elk hunting before Ol Man Time decides to take over. And if hunting closer to the truck is the tactic, so be it.

FYI, there are way more roads that are void of elk than there is of good spots, so you just cant jump out of your truck and expect to see an elk.

But there are definitely elk close to some roads - YMMV

The first Archery Elk hunt I ever tagged along on really blew my mind as far as Elk hunting goes. A friend took me to an area that was literally sandwiched between two major highways and we could look down at both from the ridge we were on. Both highways were maybe a mile away as we drove along the top of this ridge. He called in 2 bulls that evening and the biggest one stepped out of the trees 60 yards from where we parked the truck. Not quite the Colorado Wilderness Elk hunting experience everyone pictures. Prior to that I never would have attempted to hunt Elk there, it's an OTC unit and I remember thinking to myself that all we were going to see were Mule Deer. My buddy knew better and schooled me on some Elk 101 that day.