Good news for Ebiker users on public land.

Thank goodness they are coming around. It's absurd that they are not allowed. They have no more impact on trails or wildlife than a regular mountain bike so they should be allowed wherever mountain bikes are.

Not all motors are created equally so the above statements are just pearl clutching.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I agree. I did just call forest service today about them. They said that nothing will be passed this year here in wyoming.

stevevan

WKR
I rode a $15,000 pedal assisted Specialized recently. Not far, but apparently you can bluetooth connect to it and plug in a destination and the battery will provide you with as much assist to return back with 5% charge left or something like that. The technology in them is insane. It was so easy to ride too, just flew uphill.

Hunted timber company land on my regular mtn bike this fall. Had to walk it up most of the uphill roads but boy was it nice to hunt until the end of shooting light and be out before it got dark enough to need a lamp. 4+ miles in no time. The pack does throw off your balance quite a bit. I can't imagine trying to ride with an elk quarter on your back...

I'd be happy with them keeping e-bikes classified as motorized.
I'll bet most of the fellas on this thread who have a problem with ebikes are young and in good shape. Wait 'til your hair is turning grey and your attitude will change.

CorbLand

WKR
I'll bet most of the fellas on this thread who have a problem with ebikes are young and in good shape. Wait 'til your hair is turning grey and your attitude will change.
I really hope I don't have the attitude of "I got to enjoy everything while I was young and now deserve special treatment because I am getting older."

I would be interested to know because earlier in this thread it was the millennials that just wanted the easy button...now we have someone saying that its the older generation that wants it to be easier for them...

CoStick

WKR
50 in 2 weeks, back surgery and 2 shoulder surgeries. Not young and have some issues but doesn’t keep me from staying active and in shape. There will come a time when I need to alter my ways, just how things go.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So if someone uses a horse to get into the back country they are "out of shape"? Its about working smarter not harder.
I've seen plenty of guys in the backcountry on horses that would have never made it there without them. So, yes, quite a few of those guys are "out of shape".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why did this become a horses vs. E-bikes debate? Horse travel regulations aren't going to change regardless of what happens with e-bikes. Government entities and land managers seem to embrace the heritage aspect of primitive horse travel. E-bikes are an emerging technology whose regulations across various public lands are still evolving, thus the discussion.

WKR
Confined space. Put as many ebikes in that small pen as you do horses, let them go round and round every day, and see how long it takes for it look like that. Lol
Are you familiar with bikes? They're pretty good at sitting motionless and causing zero damage when not in active use.

WKR
Why did this become a horses vs. E-bikes debate? Horse travel regulations aren't going to change regardless of what happens with e-bikes. Government entities and land managers seem to embrace the heritage aspect of primitive horse travel. E-bikes are an emerging technology whose regulations across various public lands are still evolving, thus the discussion.
Discussion RE trail impact is where horses entered the conversation. The other component is that they, horses, are a non human powered way for people to access backcountry. Both components are relevant to the discussion of e bikes.

RMM

WKR
Off the top of my head. 1,000 watts is a little over 1.3 horsepower. 1 horse is about 1 horsepower. That’s over a 30% increase. That increase is then applied to a smaller contact patch that can spin out. E-bikes can also go much faster than horses can. We should just call them “electric motorcycles”. That’s what they are.
Horses can carry a hell of a lot more weight than e-bikes can. I also don't think you'll be seeing strings of e-bikes led by one person

Rich M

WKR
Can't say I'm too surprised the anti-old person attitude has come out. It seems that it is more of an anti-anybody attitude.

Might as well climb to the top and scream - "It's MY Mountain!"

tdhanses

WKR
Confined space. Put as many ebikes in that small pen as you do horses, let them go round and round every day, and see how long it takes for it look like that. Lol
Haha, that would be kind of funny to watch actually.

tdhanses

WKR
Can't say I'm too surprised the anti-old person attitude has come out. It seems that it is more of an anti-anybody attitude.

Might as well climb to the top and scream - "It's MY Mountain!"
It’s the old public is for all to enjoy as long as you do it the way I want to see it done. It’s kinda funny when you think about it,

Feels like some just want to keep public as complex as it can be to enjoy, I don’t mind hiking but I’m all for anyone getting out in a responsible manner even if it’s on an ebike and I’ve never ridden one.

Last edited:

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the old public is for all to enjoy as long as you do it the way I want to see it done. It’s kinda funny when you think about it,

Feels like some just want to keep public as complex as it can be to enjoy, I don’t mind hiking but I’m all for anyone getting out in a responsible manner even if it’s on an ebike and I’ve never ridden one.

Careful, the HOA presidents will tell you that you are a vile human being because you might leave a tire rut on a road.

Many people don't see public land as only public when it's used their way. They can't comprehend that things like road closures and regulations effectively deny much of the land as it lays beyond walking distance, even for physically fit hunters.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

I don't see it like that. I think some areas should allow E-bikes, and some shouldn't. Just like I think there should be motorized trails and nonmotorized trails. Seems simple to keep E-bikes on motorized trails only but I could also see allowing them on other trails on a case-by-case basis.

My hair is turning grey (what’s left of it). My attitude has not changed. Just because an activity gets more difficult for us as we age doesn’t give us the right to change the nature of the activity.

RMM

WKR
Careful, the HOA presidents will tell you that you are a vile human being because you might leave a tire rut on a road.

Many people don't see public land as only public when it's used their way. They can't comprehend that things like road closures and regulations effectively deny much of the land as it lays beyond walking distance, even for physically fit hunters.
1649105342500.png