Has paypal ever screwed you over???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I recently sold an item on another forum, when the money was deposited in my paypal account it wouldnt let me transfer the $$$ to my bank for some reason so I refunded it to the seller in agreement he would send me a check, Today, I get a notice that the refunded money was taken out of my checking account even though I never got the paypal money into my account.

What the heck is going on???

Also, paypal says I can't dispute this type of transaction....

KHNC

WKR
Paypal will send you a big fat wiener when they can. Ebay is just their co-conspirator too.

Kindo

WKR
I sold a pair of high end Binos a few years ago. Sold them on eBay via PayPal. Guy received them, confirms with pictures of binos and serial number that he was happy and all was good. 2-3 weeks later he filed a chargeback and says item was not as described (they were new in package), PayPal instantly took money out of my checking and refunds the buyer. I sent them all the proof and screen shots of our conversations and they still sided with him.
About 5 months later, I finally get my binos returned, no thanks to PayPal or Ebay. Basically, I ended up tracking this guy down and figured out his real name and had to threaten legal consequences if they were not returned.
I found that PayPal G&S really only protects the purchaser.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I sold a pair of high end Binos a few years ago. Sold them on eBay via PayPal. Guy received them, confirms with pictures of binos and serial number that he was happy and all was good. 2-3 weeks later he filed a chargeback and says item was not as described (they were new in package), PayPal instantly took money out of my checking and refunds the buyer. I sent them all the proof and screen shots of our conversations and they still sided with him.
About 5 months later, I finally get my binos returned, no thanks to PayPal or Ebay. Basically, I ended up tracking this guy down and figured out his real name and had to threaten legal consequences if they were not returned.

That sucks, Luckily for me this isn't an issue with the buyer.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Did me wrong years ago through eBay. I was the buyer, I paid, no item shipped, no response from seller. I filed a claim and about 6 weeks later they refunded about 30% of my money. I try my hardest to never use them from that point on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Did me wrong years ago through eBay. I was the buyer, I paid, no item shipped, no response from seller. I filed a claim and about 6 weeks later they refunded about 30% of my money. I try my hardest to never use them from that point on.

Im going to close my paypal account as soon as I get to the bottom of this

Is there a better alternative to PayPal? I haven’t had any issues yet but if there’s a better way I’m all ears.

Vandy321

WKR
Closed my PayPal years ago, after they sat on my funds for 6 weeks...refused to let it clear to my checking.

Vandy321

WKR
Zelle is better. But not everyone has it...believe its only Wells Fargo and USAA. Venmo is simple too, but a subsidiary of PayPal, venmo seems less troublesome though.

When all else fails...USPS money order.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
I found them unsupportive as a buyer. I took the bait on a fake Facebook add for Keen boots clearance, got fake USPS delivery notifications from the seller, emailed seller with no response. When I entered a dispute with Paypal, the seller sent me different fake USPS info, and Paypal closed the case. Their final recommendation to me was report the theft of my delivered product to local police. Credit card company came through so I wasn't taken.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Zelle is better. But not everyone has it...believe its only Wells Fargo and USAA. Venmo is simple too, but a subsidiary of PayPal, venmo seems less troublesome though.

+1 for Zelle

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Got burned pretty bad by them twice - once when the guy I sold an item to changed his mind becasue his daughter wasn't happy with it (wasn't the color she wanted or something to that effect) and another time when I bought an item but what I was sent didn't even come close to resembling what was described and pictured. Took several weeks to get both situations resolved and they held on to everyones money in the interim. I used to think they really only sided with the buyer until I got burned as the buyer - now I think "they'll send you a big fat weiner whenever they can" like KHNC said.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider

Ebay and Paypal are terrible about this. Had an issue this summer when I sold an ignition coil on ebay. It was clear it was for a single coil, yet the buyer complained because he didn't receive four like new (MSD coils) for $20. Ebay automatically sided with the buyer inspite of all the evidence and proof I had. Eventually ebay forced me to accept a return and pay for the return shipping. Thankfully the buyer never ended up returning the part and everything expired. My guess is that it was normal behavior for the buyer and he knew how to manipulate the system. Really changed my perspective on how to list items on ebay (what little I do list on there).

Is there a better alternative to PayPal? I haven’t had any issues yet but if there’s a better way I’m all ears.

As mentioned, Zelle. However, Zelle is like handing cash to a person on the street. Once sent it's gone, so be sure who you send it to. I like that it's nearly instant and free.

All the major banks have it, and from what I understand many of the credit unions too. Bank of America definitely has it.

Venmo is owned by Paypal and has just as crappy service and rules. I try to use both as little as possible.