Headlamps

BD Storm. My current one buzzes like crazy. I think someone mentioned that on this thread, or another one, and they were sent a replacement.

I reached out to BD customer service last week. It was a great experience. Absolutely seamless process and a new one is on the way. I can't complain about their customer service.

Do these zebra light require their battery or can you run them off what appears to be a normal AA battery?
Yes, you can run a regular alkaline AA if you want. I would recommend some eneloops or lithium though. Regular alkalines have a tendency to leak and ruin anything you out them in.

Most of you guys keep recommending the Made in China 🇨🇳 lights.

Why not recommend and support a great American company that make their lights here?

Princeton Tec for one, they make a great product right here in the USA 🇺🇸
3805A117-A573-4E19-8A83-5A3C7E10A3A7.jpeg

Most of you guys keep recommending the Made in China lights.

Why not recommend and support a great American company that make their lights here?

Princeton Tec for one, they make a great product right here in the USA
View attachment 177057

Probably because of things like this. Cool they’re made in the US and all... but along side one of my aluminum bodied Fenix... no comparison.

Tod osier

WKR
Most of you guys keep recommending the Made in China 🇨🇳 lights.

Princeton Tec for one, they make a great product right here in the USA 🇺🇸
View attachment 177057

because I own multiple princeton tech headlamps. I’ve had mine turn on Accidentally multiple times in my pack on backcountry hunts. The Princeton tech lenses are plastic vs glass and a 18650 battery headlamp is superior for my use (longer life and way brighter if needed). The Princeton tech are great lights lights, but the zebralights are superior, even vastly superior.

Last edited:

eknick23

FNG
My favorite is the BlackDiamond Icon ($100). I did own a Surefire and it was really nice and half the weight and bulk ... but expensive, batteries were expensive and not as easy to acquire as a AA battery ... and sucked when I lost it. The Icon is not the lightest, but I have been pleased with it. My .02 is just make sure that it has the strap that runs over the top of your head to keep it from falling down.
Can't go wrong with a BlackDiamond or Surefire. If you have the extra money, Surefire is your best bet!

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
What's your method for a longer trip when you might exceed your burn time? Battery pack?

correct, I bring the lightest weight portable solar panel/power bank I could fine. I have been out for 7 days with charging my phone, garmin inreach, garmin fenix 5 watch and headlamps with no issues at all.

also, running the headlamps at the lowest lumens possible really stretches the battery life ten fold.

also, running the headlamps at the lowest lumens possible really stretches the battery life ten fold.
I am in complete agreement... until I need to get out a knife and begin to break down an animal. I've burned up a fair bit of battery on max power when it comes to that stage in the game. That's when I get a little nervous about rechargeable. I'm using rechargeable 123a's right now and have had excellent results. I carry 2-3 in a Thyrm and feel much better about it.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in complete agreement... until I need to get out a knife and begin to break down an animal. I've burned up a fair bit of battery on max power when it comes to that stage in the game. That's when I get a little nervous about rechargeable. I'm using rechargeable 123a's right now and have had excellent results. I carry 2-3 in a Thyrm and feel much better about it.

absolutely. Two is one and one is none
I take at least 2 head lamps and 1 emergency.

good luck this season brother!

Aubs8

FNG
Thanks for the information. I ended-up purchasing 4 Coast FL84's for $52 and free shipping. The deal is located here.

COAST FL84 575 Lumen Dual Color Focusing LED Headlamp, 2-Pack – COAST Products

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I get lost when looking at the zebralight website! I’m thinking that I want this one!?07238484-4378-4136-A42A-EFD42D1C221C.png

macabra11

FNG
I have been trying to find a new headlamp that is rechargeable (bonus points if it can also use alkaline batteries too), has a good flood light option, and has high lumen output red LED. Most that I keep finding have 1 or 2 lumens for their red output. I'd really like to have something that could push the red LEDs more for walking into my hunting spots in the dark. Nitecore has a couple that are around 9-13 lumens, but I am having trouble finding other options.

jrnd

Lil-Rokslider
Really like my Black Diamon storm. Big upgrade from all the cheaper options.