Help!!!! ISO Best Ultralight Solo Bckpacking Tent for hunting

dog812

WKR
I've had the s.o. lbo, the lunar solo, a few big Agnes and a few tap tents... My latest shelter I am really looking is the dan durston xmid. Double wall, inner 2# check it out.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
OP Seems like if you are in the desert then the REI single wall or say the Nemo first lite single wall would do you good, but you'd be limited with condensation issues taking it elsewhere.

OP Seems like if you are in the desert then the REI single wall or say the Nemo first lite single wall would do you good, but you'd be limited with condensation issues taking it elsewhere.

It's interesting to me how the folks who spend hundreds of days a year in their tents don't worry about condensation. Almost every through hiker video where they use a single wall tent, they say condensation wasn't a big deal. Then I get a few drops inside my Hillleberg and go crazy. 😂

rywin918

FNG
I run the Nemo hornet 2. Im new to the backpacking world but i took it on my first western hunt last year and I loved it. easy to set up and pack away. Comes in at 2.6 OZ with everything. REI also has it on sale for 277 right now. footprint not included but I carry tyvex sheets with me for footprints or meat care.

Attachments

• GOPR0034.JPG
    GOPR0034.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 39

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Nemo hornet 2. Im new to the backpacking world but i took it on my first western hunt last year and I loved it. easy to set up and pack away. Comes in at 2.6 OZ with everything. REI also has it on sale for 277 right now. footprint not included but I carry tyvex sheets with me for footprints or meat care.
Yep for a double wall the Nemo Hornet seems great, for a little less $$ but a few more ounces Outdoor Vitals has the footprint included. REI Quarter Dome SL series seems nice also, little cheaper, a little heavier but has a nicer outdoor color vs the Nemo. REI is nice cause of their guarantee and you can bring stuff back to their stores if it ever breaks.

Fly creek is an awesome tent, but for 8 oz more I chose the dual vestibules of the Copper Spur UL2 for main camp. Spike camp is my PocketTarp with screen/bathtub.

Okhotnik

WKR
Yep for a double wall the Nemo Hornet seems great, for a little less $$ but a few more ounces Outdoor Vitals has the footprint included. REI Quarter Dome SL series seems nice also, little cheaper, a little heavier but has a nicer outdoor color vs the Nemo. REI is nice cause of their guarantee and you can bring stuff back to their stores if it ever breaks.

I think the REI warranty is reduced to a year now from date of purchase. Makes their gear a bit less desirable.

ctmillwo

FNG
I went with the Ultamid 4 from HMG, they sent me the nest not the actual tent. Customer service responded within 1 business hour of my complaint with prepaid postage. I will say build quality seems excellent upon initial inspection and customer service was as kind and expedient as possible. Can’t wait to get my tent in and take it out. Having never seen or handled it before, DCF is an interesting material. It is hard to believe that it is as tough and strong as it is. And deceptively light. I am on the north eastern coast of North Carolina, I’m not worried about condensation. All I’ve seen mentioned is that a small shammy is all you need, and that’s only if the tent isn’t appropriately set up with ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you run it in any bad weather?

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Cant beat the Dan Durston X Mid. Available in a 1 man and 2 man option. Extremely small when packed and under 2 pounds for the one man. too many features to list here. I searched for a long time before I decided it was the one for me. It did not disappoint me. I am 6 foot 2 and weigh 225 I found the one man plenty roomy for me.

ndbuck09

WKR
Those look like nice tents. Unfortunately don’t think my pad will fit in there. I’m 6’1” and have the longer 78” pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the long version of the thermarest neoair and my pad and me fit great in the Tarptent notch li which is their DCF version of the notch tent. It's a two trekking pole tent. weighs around 20oz and is dual wall. In my opinion, you can't do any better at 20oz. When pitched correctly it is super solid when you push on it, which can't be said for a lot of the tents you're getting recommended. Plus the thing has two vestibules which is really really nice. To echo what's said above about fly creek tents, I've been in one during a massive storm and we barely held the poles down and everything go soaked except the very middle from the walls leaning in from the wind.

"5X the waterproof rating and 5X tear strength of 30D ripstop. It will hold up to whatever you throw at it. But maybe you know something that I don't. Dyneema is the strongest fiber in the world."

DCF/dyneema does have an extremely high tear strength and is extremely waterproof (when new), but those attributes don't translate to a "bombproof" nor super waterproof tent. DCF has quite a few "achilles heels" which prevent that. These include:
1) It's non-woven so it has low puncture resistance. Decent hail can go right through 0.5oz DCF, as do sharp sticks etc. So it certainly won't "hold up to whatever you can throw at it". It's usually fine but nowhere near as puncture resistant as a 20-30D woven.
2) It has low abrasion resistance because the outer layers are just super light mylar (plastic, basically space blanket stuff) which is easily damaged even though the inner layers are fine. Some companies are using the 0.5 or 0.7oz DCF as floor material, but it's not in the same ballpark for lifespan as a 20-30D woven nylon/poly. Not an issue for the fly unless you end up pitching it rubbing on bushes. The heavier 1 - 1.2oz DCF still doesn't last as long as a 30D nylon floor despite weighing about the same and costing 5x as much.
3) DCF stretches on the diagonal (relative to the dyneema strands), where high loading permanently warps the material. That results in a wrinkly pitch thereafter, like this.
4) As a result of #3, along with torsion from packing it up and strain from general use/winds etc, the outer mylar layers form micro-pinholes/micro-cracks and start to bubble/delaminate over time. So even though the material is highly waterproof when new, it degrades much faster than a woven. A good 30D woven might start out out at 3000mm HH and still tests at 1500 mm a few years later, while DCF might start at 8000mm but can easily test at 200 mm a few years later and leak readily. HH specs for new fabrics are almost always near useless - it's far more about how well it handles wear, which few companies test.

Because of #1 - 4, DCF is very strong but does not make for a tent that is more bombproof/durable/waterproof than a good woven. Companies that make tents in both will normally tell you their woven versions last much longer (e.g. MLD). I like DCF - it's a really cool material - but it should be seen as a compromise between durability and weight, and not as both lighter and tougher, as it is unfortunately marketed. You should only be buying it because you value the weight savings heavily. Otherwise there's not a strong case for it. Compared to a 30D woven, a DCF shelter will be bulkier to pack, shorter lifespan, more prone to puncture/abrasion damage, less waterproof over time, translucent, get spark holes a lot easier, and much more expensive.

Last edited:

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
"5X the waterproof rating and 5X tear strength of 30D ripstop. It will hold up to whatever you throw at it. But maybe you know something that I don't. Dyneema is the strongest fiber in the world."

DCF/dyneema does have an extremely high tear strength and is extremely waterproof (when new), but those attributes don't translate to "bombproof" nor super waterproof tent. DCF has quite a few "achilles heels" which prevent that. These include:
1) It's non-woven so it has low puncture resistance. Decent hail can go right through 0.5oz DCF, as do sharp sticks etc. It's nowhere near as puncture resistant as a 20-30D woven.
2) It has low abrasion resistance because the outer layers are just super light mylar (plastic, basically space blanket stuff). Some companies are using the 0.5 or 0.7oz DCF as floor material, but it's not in the same ballpark for lifespan as a 20-30D woven nylon/poly. Not an issue for the fly unless you end up pitching it rubbing on bushes. The heavier 1 - 1.2oz DCF still doesn't last as long as a 30D nylon floor despite weighing about the same and costing 5x as much.
3) DCF stretches on the diagonal (relative to the dyneema strands), where high loading permanently warps the material. That results in a wrinkly pitch thereafter, like this.
4) As a result of #3, along with torsion from packing it up and strain from general use/winds etc, the outer mylar layers form micro-pinholes/micro-cracks and start to bubble/delaminate over time. So even though the material is highly waterproof when new, it degrades much faster than a woven. A good 30D woven might start out out at 3000mm HH and still tests at 1500 mm a few years later, while DCF might start at 8000mm but can easily test at 200 mm a few years later and leak readily.

Because of #1 - 4, DCF is very strong but does not make for a tent that is more bombproof/durable/waterproof than a good woven. Companies that make tents in both will normally tell you their woven versions last much longer (e.g. MLD). I like DCF - it's a really cool material - but it should be seen as a compromise between durability and weight, and not as a way of getting a shelter that is both lighter and tougher. You should only be buying it because you value the weight savings heavily. Otherwise there's not a strong case for it. Compared to a 30D woven, a DCF shelter will be bulkier to pack, shorter lifespan, more prone to puncture/abrasion damage, less waterproof over time, translucent, get spark holes a lot easier, and much more expensive.
Great details - thanks.
Would . 75 dcf tarp with 70d silnylon bathtub floor then be best of both worlds?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk