Help me with coffee fellas...

Drenalin

WKR
I hated the Starbucks Via packets, and am currently working my way through a couple boxes of the Black Rifle instant coffee. It's better than the Via, but it's not like there's a huge difference. I normally hate Folgers coffee, but I like their instant packets better than either the Starbucks or Black Rifle. And they are dirt cheap.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Which Starbucks via’s are you using? I definitely prefer the Italian roast to the other varieties.
At home I have a French press, aero press, pour over, and an espresso maker. I like good coffee and can’t find anything wrong with the Starbucks via Italian roast.
The Italian Roast Via is pretty good for instant coffee.

Steelhead

FNG
step one is admitting you have a problem.
Step 2 is accepting it and moving on...and start by buying a burr grinder and finding the beans and roast you like best, measuring and grinding out your daily planned allotment of ground beans shortly before you leave.
Step 3 is hauling out an AeroPress (or a GSI Outdoors Java Drip thing) if backpacking, or an old school perkolator if car-camping.
You will have more control of the quality of your coffee this way. I keep toying with the instant to cut down on weight and the amount of crap I'm packing in but at the end of the day I always end up stuffing the AeroPress and a bag of fresh ground in my pack and am happier for it when I'm out there enjoying a kick-ass cup instead of choking down instant.
...Step 4 is getting a roaster of some sort...I started with a Jiffy Pop and recently moved to an air roaster...
Again, the first step is admitting you have a problem :cool:

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bodum double wall stainless french presh that would work well for camp use. They usually have glass carafes that lose heat quickly and break fairly easily. This double wall stainless one will keep it hot a while if you rotate the lid to the closed position.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
This stuff is the only instant that I’ve found that is actually palatable. Haven’t tried the BRCC instant yet but I can get this on amazon and have found it at my local grocery store in bulk.

0445313977103ef810f915c88327246d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many here, I use a pres at home and when truck camping. But when backpacking in it is Trader Joes instant. However, it comes with creamer and sugar already mixed in. I have no complaints about it.

Vaultman

WKR
For backpack hunting the MSR with the French Press. But then again: French Press = French Press Mess. Yeah the cleanup is a downside. Thinking about pour-over next time.

For hunting from the wall tent / camper I use a percolator.

No I thi
Am I the only one on here who has never drank coffee? I've never tried a sip, my wife hasn't either!

No I think there are other LDS hunters on here 😉 just kidding.

I grew up drinking coffee with my grandpa since I was probably about 6. My dad has NEVER drank coffee.

My step kids are still Mormon, going to church with their dad and I don't think I'll be able to get them to try it. They're unshakable. But at least they now know the truth that coffee is NOT bad for you haha

For those of you that are backpack hunting with an aeropress, what do you do with the grounds when you're done?

No I thi

No I think there are other LDS hunters on here 😉 just kidding.

I grew up drinking coffee with my grandpa since I was probably about 6. My dad has NEVER drank coffee.

My step kids are still Mormon, going to church with their dad and I don't think I'll be able to get them to try it. They're unshakable. But at least they now know the truth that coffee is NOT bad for you haha
What is LDS? No offense taken, I've just never heard of it.

jspradley

WKR
For those of you that are backpack hunting with an aeropress, what do you do with the grounds when you're done?

They are just plant material, I toss them on the ground (away from camp) or if I was going to be there a while dig a small hole to bury them in just so there's not a big pile of grounds laying around being ugly.

I have a Sea to Summit coffee dripper that works pretty well, I'm a pourover junkie, I do use one of those Melita paper filters with it though, I prefer the taste of a paper filter vs a metal filter but it works just fine with the metal filter than comes with it.

I do have a Hario manual grinder for when I'm car camping that I will use because whole beans are the way to go if you can spare the extra weight and space.

As far as the coffee itself I roast my own because I'm a hipster like that but I also do like to buy from small roasters. Three Keys Coffee out of Houston has an incredible Ethiopian coffee. Even if you don't buy hipster coffee any whole bean coffee ground right before brewing is a whole 'nother game from preground!