Hot Sauce Recommendation?

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Texas Pete's. I grabbed a bottle at the dollar store on a whim (was in there supervising my wife! I swear...). Also found it at Discount Bargain Market. Had never heard of it before.

More so, I think the question asked by @robtattoo is important. Otherwise it's just random recommendations by people on the Internet.

OP
Longleaf

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Great recommendations, should keep me busy for a while.
Have you tried Texas Pete?
Id barley consider Texas Pete a hot sauce, I do use it in butter for oysters.
I can't believe nobody else has asked this:
What flavor profile are you looking for?
Mexican? Asian? Louisiana style? Sweet & fruity? Garlic heavy? A little of everything?
What is your primary use?
To me that's as, if not more important than the heat level?
Not looking for any profiles in particular, sometimes I put a Caribbean sauce on my breakfast. Right now I'm using a apple peach cinnamon on everything, usually put an asian sauce on my wings.

For spice level it sees people have missed the mark. Id consider 5/5 to send me to the ER. Texas Pete a 1, tobasco maybe a 2.

feanor

WKR
"We" (meaning mostly you) should organize a Rokslide crowd source hot sauce shootout for CO metro folks.
Now we’re talkin… but that could take months to comprehensively review all the sauces. It would dwarf the .223 thread.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Texas Pete was awarded a Navy Achievement Medal on my submarine for making the food so much better. Never get underway without Texas Pete onboard.
I'd suggest Lousiana brand hot sauce. It's like Franks or Tabasco but not as much vinegar.

For prior military funsies - I used to bring my own larger bottle of hot sauce. Pick one up before we got underway from Sam's Club or wherever. Worth it's weight in gold a couple of months in when the ship ran out of everything.

Between the hot sauce and the case of Charmin Ultra, the couple of rolls of Kodiak dip and cartons of Marlboro lights for trades and a few other items. There really wasn't anything that you couldn't get in trade back.

fishslap

WKR
I'd suggest Lousiana brand hot sauce. It's like Franks or Tabasco but not as much vinegar.

For prior military funsies - I used to bring my own larger bottle of hot sauce. Pick one up before we got underway from Sam's Club or wherever. Worth it's weight in gold a couple of months in when the ship ran out of everything.

Between the hot sauce and the case of Charmin Ultra, the couple of rolls of Kodiak dip and cartons of Marlboro lights for trades and a few other items. There really wasn't anything that you couldn't get in trade back.
Wish I would have thought about the charmin. I’m a toilet paper snob now. The only thing I brought was a few pounds of licorice.

My two current favorites are green cholula and yellowbird siracha. The yellowbird siracha doesn't really taste like traditional siracha, but it is fantastic on just about everything.

Boulder hot sauce: smoky seranno is really tasty without being too hot. Horsetooth hot sauce Ft Collins, CO has Reuben's red.. both of which I love without getting too hot. Yellowbird is great: a little hotter with the habenero. Lots of good sauce out there

Laramie

WKR
Lot of good ones mentioned.

I am on a low sodium diet so most of the store bought ones are pretty high for me. I started making my own about a year ago. Jalapenos are cheap so it really doesn't cost much to make a good green sauce similar to green Cholula. My current recipe uses jalapenos, serranoes, and poblano peppers. You can look up techniques but basically just puree the peppers with white vinegar, and whatever seasonings you like. I use garlic, a little sugar, and the above for a simple but tasty hot sauce that keeps for about a month in the fridge.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of good ones mentioned.

I am on a low sodium diet so most of the store bought ones are pretty high for me. I started making my own about a year ago. Jalapenos are cheap so it really doesn't cost much to make a good green sauce similar to green Cholula. My current recipe uses jalapenos, serranoes, and poblano peppers. You can look up techniques but basically just puree the peppers with white vinegar, and whatever seasonings you like. I use garlic, a little sugar, and the above for a simple but tasty hot sauce that keeps for about a month in the fridge.
Sounds good to me, we make our own too. I'd suggest for a red sauce to try guajillo peppers too. It's mild but a lot of good flavors.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I can't believe nobody else has asked this:
What flavor profile are you looking for?
Mexican? Asian? Louisiana style? Sweet & fruity? Garlic heavy? A little of everything?
What is your primary use?
To me that's as, if not more important than the heat level?

If you ever want to try growing your own, hit me up & I'll send you some seeds. I've been growing my own & making my own Datil sauces for a few years. I'm obsessed with the little orange devils. They're difficult to grow north of zone 9, but not impossible with a little help.

I always pegged you as a 7 pot fan. disappointed.

robtattoo

WKR
I always pegged you as a 7 pot fan. disappointed.
Used to be. A couple of years ago i had 7-pot Primos lemon & red growing, along with my Datils & a bunch of Bhut Jolokia, Aleppos & Aji Margaritenos.
Since I started making better sauces though, I'm more interested in flavor over heat.
This year I've got 3 strains of jalapeños, Datils & red & brown Longhorns. 134 plants in total.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I like Tiger Sauce. It is good stuff. It's not very hot and a little sweet.