How long does it take to get a Wyoming nonresident elk tag?

Are some percentage of the tags in WY for a given high demand unit random or is it pure points?

There are a small number of "random" draw tags in most units. Some units with very low tag quotas will not give out a random draw tag though.

Lets face it. Hunting elk in WY is popular, heck hunting elk period is popular. The only way you can go elk hunting and not see a single soul is to have either a super hard draw tag or be WAY back in the wilderness. But don't get me wrong, you can still have a great hunt on a general tag and be outside the wilderness areas. I highly doubt anyone on a public forum will give away their honey hole, but there are plenty of honey holes out there for you to find. Units 12, 13, 15, 110 all have vast chunks of national forest outside the wilderness areas. There are plenty of ATV and 4wd trails that will be chuck full of hunters during opening weekend. If you want to minimize your chances of hunting shoulder to shoulder, go the 2nd week of the season and don't hunt the weekends at all. Do a bunch of map work prior to season and find spots on the map without roads. Go to the Wyo State Trails web site and download the ATV trail map and cross reference that with your topo map and find areas away from those trails. Of course there might be the few dirtbags that don't follow the laws and will ride ATV's anywhere they please, but they are far and few between. If you come up to he NW part of the state there again is plenty of ground that isn't wilderness. You will have to deal with Griz and the pressure they put on you to get your meat out of the woods and in your truck, but it's not nearly as bad as people would make you think. Call the Game and Fish office and ask for help if you need.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to enlighten myself and others that have the same interest.

Nope, according to the 2015 demand report the NR special GEN tag was not drawn by anyone as a 2nd choice as there were more 1st choice applicants than tags (1221 for 551 tags, or 45%). The random part of the draw was the same way (669 for 397 tags) so not everyone drew it as a 1st choice either. It was a sure thing 2 years ago, not anymore and I'm guessing it will only get worse. That's why WY needs to have bow and gun specific tags.

The mistake most make is to look at the demand report. It's not accurate for Gen tags nor doe/fawn tags.

Special gen was and has been, 100% for every app that has applied for it as a 1st choice, regardless of points.

2015 was the first year that a Special gen was not 100% as a 2nd choice, with odds being just a tick over 50%.

2016 will see addl 1st choice apps and the result will be a drop of 2nd choice odds. Based on past years app trends, those odds may be close to 0.0%

Last edited:
The mistake most make is to look at the demand report. It's not accurate for Gen tags nor doe/fawn tags.

Special gen was and has been, 100% for every app that has applied for it as a 1st choice, regardless of points.

2015 was the first year that a Special gen was not 100% as a 2nd choice, with odds being just a tick over 50%.

2016 will see addl 1st choice apps and the result will be a drop of 2nd choice odds. Based on past years app trends, those odds may be close to 0.0%
So where do you find the correct draw odds for gen and doe/fawn tags?

You calculate the odds for the gen draws after you get additional information from the dept. with public info requests.
You can't get accurate odds for doe/fawn because you can draw two tags in the initial draw and the demand report lists available quota and total applicants, not the number of successful applicants.

The GEN tag is and works just like any other tag, the odds are the odds no different than a unit specific tag. The number of 1st choice applicants are those who put GEN as a 1st choice. Not sure where you came up with the idea that they are not, please explain. This isn't the AZ draw, it's pretty simple for tags that exceed demand.

The GEN tag is and works just like any other tag, the odds are the odds no different than a unit specific tag. The number of 1st choice applicants are those who put GEN as a 1st choice. Not sure where you came up with the idea that they are not, please explain. This isn't the AZ draw, it's pretty simple for tags that exceed demand.

He's explained it before on other threads. But basically the state of Wyoming is supposed to give out X amount of non resident elk tags. The quota they put on the draw odds report is not accurate. He gets his information from calling the game and fish himself. I'm sure Wapitibob can explain it better.

I'm well versed on the the Wyoming and Arizona draw processes.
Like I said, you're looking at the demand report and assuming it's for the complete draw. A mistake made by most who look at it.

The demand report shows total nonresident quota before they get broken down into landowner draw with points, landowner draw random, special draw with points, special draw random, regular with points, then regular random. Simple right?

I think a WY Gen tag is a pretty good tag for being able draw it every 2-3 yrs consistently. I shot my first bull on a Gen tag this fall and our whole group of 8 tagged out on all bulls, most 5pts or better. Where 3 of us went in for the first week out we were looking at quite a few decent bulls and one massive bull we just couldn't get a shot on, I'll take that any day.

The demand report shows total nonresident quota before they get broken down into landowner draw with points, landowner draw random, special draw with points, special draw random, regular with points, then regular random. Simple right?

This is incorrect.
The demand reports correctly show the quotas up to the end of the 2nd phase of the nr draw. What it doesn't show is the quota balance required to meet the nr allocation of full priced tags as determined by the legislature. That quota is independent of the quota set by the game dept.

Last edited:
This is incorrect.
The demand reports correctly show the quotas up to the end of the 2nd phase of the nr draw. What it doesn't show is the quota balance required to meet the nr allocation of full priced tags as determined by the legislature. That quota is independent of the quota set by the game dept.
The legislature doesn't not set quotas or allocations of quotas. The Game and Fish Commission does. I quoted the draw split flow chart. I'm not in the office and can't quote it off memory. I did leave a message with the person in charge to see if I can post the draw split flow chart. It will help dispell the rumors and misinformation.

The legislature has set nr full price elk tags at 7,250 irrespective of what the commission sets.

The elk draw flow chart, created for the outfitter association, has nothing to do with the point in time when the demand report is created. The Antelope draw report was created for me.

If you would like to learn the nr draw process and how it relates to the demand reports I suggest you ask questions and take notes.

The legislature has set nr full price elk tags at 7,250 irrespective of what the commission sets.

The elk draw flow chart, created for the outfitter association, has nothing to do with the point in time when the demand report is created. The Antelope draw report was created for me.

If you would like to learn the nr draw process and how it relates to the demand reports I suggest you ask questions and take notes.

Don't get your skirt all hiked up Bob. I'm obviously not as well versed on the subject of WY license draws as you are even though I'm quoting direct from the source.

I would gladly take you up on your offer to listen and learn, but since I work for the WY Game and Fish Department I will ask the people that actually know what they are talking about.

Sorry to the OP, but I'm done trying to help out folks that want to hunt in my home state when internet wannabes come in and try to push their weight around. Hilarious!

I suggest you have a discussion with Jean Cole and ask her for the Elk quota balance report so you have the needed information in hand to understand the process and at what point in the process the demand report is created.

I suggest you have a discussion with Jean Cole and ask her for the Elk quota balance report so you have the needed information in hand to understand the process and at what point in the process the demand report is created.
Gee thanks for the tip. Hilarious!

Actually it's sad that as an employee you are unaware of the legislated quota as well as the quota balance report and pass yourself off as knowing the process.

Back