How many arrows do you lose/break per year? Target shooting.

OutdoorAg

WKR
After breaking 2 this Am, and realizing I need to order more, I’m curious what your average arrow loss per year looks like. On targets.

I think im at 8 for this year. $18/arrow…ouch.

NEPkaspot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll bet I lose or break at least 4 per year! I use Iron Will components so salvage inserts and collars when possible. Ouch is right!

Beendare

WKR
I shoot my recurve a lot in the woods at stumps, dirt mounds, etc to stay sharp when hunting…multiple arrows a day.

I lose about 1 1/2 doz.

Accmos shafts with inexpensive 2 blades have been as good as any arrow I have shot in four decades and they’re not that expensive.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Between 4-6. Need to train my dogs to sniff them out
Yeah I tend to find the ones I lose, but they are broken.

Part of this is shooting in rock country and if you hit the ground…it’s tough on arrows. Even with good components (collars, etc).

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I’ll bet I lose or break at least 4 per year! I use Iron Will components so salvage inserts and collars when possible. Ouch is right!

Shooting at big block targets? Smaller blocks? 3D?

I think part of my arrow loss number is shooting smaller targets at longer distances. But I feel like it makes me a better shot. Maybe? Ha. Maybe not if I’m losing 8-10 a year.

After breaking 2 this Am, and realizing I need to order more, I’m curious what your average arrow loss per year looks like. On targets.

I think im at 8 for this year. $18/arrow…ouch.
So this will display my ocd. I keep three bows for hunting. I typically replace two of them each year.

Each has its own arrow setup. I build each bow three dozen arrows over the winter and get them all dialed to their arrow setup.

Typically I reach hunting season with each bow still having about two dozen arrows.

Saying that “out loud” kinda stings.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using my RIP TKO Elite 250's for three years now and haven't broken or lost any yet. I shoot about 5-6k arrows a year these days, which is quite a bit less than I used to shoot. I use 75gr brass HIT's with 125's, and no collars.

My quiver fell over in the truck while shutting the door this spring and that snapped 3. I had 4 busted in 3d targets stove piped from behind. Don't remember busting any shooting field, they have pins.

Did a few dumb things while shooting broadheads at targets, cost several arrows.

I'd say I'm minimum of 8 a year.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot just about every day...did not lose any this year but damaged perhaps 10. perhaps 2-3 non-repairable.

packer58

WKR
Probably loose one or two a year, damage probably a half dozen between shooting at home and 3D shoots.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well went from loosing 2 last year all year to 3 last shooting session! Ouch is right! I have a ton of blank shafts so I’ll assemble some more… when I’m doing what I’m supposed to do a dozen arrows will last a long time, when shooting poorly or not changing my ranges and being dumb… well they can go quick

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t break any arrows practicing. The only time I break arrows is if I don’t get a pass through and the deer breaks it when it runs off. That doesn’t happen much, either. I shot a buck last year and this year with the same arrow.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I don’t break any arrows practicing. The only time I break arrows is if I don’t get a pass through and the deer breaks it when it runs off. That doesn’t happen much, either. I shot a buck last year and this year with the same arrow.
Dang. That’s awesome. You’re a good shot.

S.Clancy

WKR
I broke 3 on animals this yr. I rarely break them in practice. I generally buy a dozen arrows every 2-3 yrs.

A couple at most.

I lost 6 at an archery shoot 25 years ago. I mentally recovered from that, but it took a while. Lol

Last edited:

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I lose most of mine in feral hogs here in TX. Never got an arrow back from a pig that wasn't destroyed.

I usually lose 1 a year , I haven't broke a a arrow on a animal or target shooting in 6 years. And I've shot roughly 22 animals in the last 6 years , and I shoot 700-1000 shots a week out of my bow. But mind you I tune bows for a living and have a shop attached to my house that I can shoot regardless of weather or time of day . So I get alot of reps in .