How many lbs of meat do you eat in a 7 day week?

coldchow

FNG
In a normal week the wife and I eat fried crappie, fried shrimp, deer or elk cubed steak that is also fried, broiled salmon, usually a crok pot chicken, and fried pork chops. We're both over 70 and in excellent health. I insist on some type of meat in every evening meal.

WCB

WKR
Is there a week that does not have seven days?

Eddie
The last week of August only goes till Tuesday this year.

I have no idea but wife myself and our 2 year old went through 5 deer, 1 antelope, tons of pheasant, ducks, geese, fresh salmon, few gallon bags of panfish/walleye. Not counting going out to eat or store bought bacon, steaks, sausage etc. I would say I have to be in the 12-14lb range and it being very consistent.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
The last week of August only goes till Tuesday this year.

I have no idea but wife myself and our 2 year old went through 5 deer, 1 antelope, tons of pheasant, ducks, geese, fresh salmon, few gallon bags of panfish/walleye. Not counting going out to eat or store bought bacon, steaks, sausage etc. I would say I have to be in the 12-14lb range and it being very consistent.
Holy shit can I come stay there😁

Laramie

WKR
Personally, 1-2lbs per day of deer/elk/antelope/wild birds/small game/chicken/fish. I'm 6'2, 240lbs and still work out on a regular basis so my protein intake is high. As a family of 4, we eat an average of 3lbs per day and we do not buy beef. Chicken is the only meat we purchase. I'm thankful for all the hunting & fishing opportunities my family has.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Personally, 1-2lbs per day of deer/elk/antelope/wild birds/small game/chicken/fish. I'm 6'2, 240lbs and still work out on a regular basis so my protein intake is high. As a family of 4, we eat an average of 3lbs per day and we do not buy beef. Chicken is the only meat we purchase. I'm thankful for all the hunting & fishing opportunities my family has.
Out of curiousity, how does antelope compare to elk? Never tried any

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
IF it's cared for in the field properly, it is very comparable- we consider it excellent. (cooled down quickly, kept completely clean, etc...)

If a guy lets it ride around in the bed of a pickup for hours on a hot day, it tastes like fermented sage brush.
Good to know, I'd love to try some. Might have to look at the Idaho FNG book on the hunts for that, never looked into antelope.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Jusr made pulled pork for the first time on the smoker. Never had it before, never cooked it before. It's soooooooo good, I just felt like bragging🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_163920153_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210813_163920153_HDR.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 12
I work in the beef industry, so make of that what you will. I eat 4-5 lbs of elk/venison and 2-3 lbs of beef per week. I live alone. Meat at every meal. If there's no meat, it's not a meal. 5'7", 150 lbs for reference. Run 20-25 miles a week and squats/deadlifts 3x per week. Chicken is a vegetable.

Zappaman

WKR
Elk, deer, oryx, hog rotate through the menu about once a week (each) at 1-2 lbs per serving. Wife eats 4 oz, I eat about 12-20 oz. per serving. Usually steaks grilled medium rare or ranch fried (salt, pepper shake in the bag of flour and spices- also medium rare). Not making as much gravy as in the earlier years.

Almost always some form of jalapeno, green chili, or red (with ghost pepper in our bean pot). Rasied on ranches in TX and NM so "green or red" is a common question at dinner-time. But yes... we eat protein!

Chicken, fish, lamb, and goat less so, but we throw it in for a change a few times a month. I'd say venison is 20% (in some form) year round as I put up at least four deer a year (and 3 pigs this year). Diet changes depending on the hunt- so some year LOTS of elk too :)>

More stews in all but summer (warms the house)- we'll make a gallon+ at a time and share it with our neighbors along with garden veggies and LOTS of canned stuff too.

We are lucky enough to NOT have a restaurant anywhere within 20 miles of our home- I cook almost daily. The in-laws in Dallas and Houston would rather go to "Taco Bell" or some high dollar version of the same BAD food outlet. Steak houses don't exist in Texas any more (save for the $100 steak places OR Texas Road House which still has a damn good 24 oz Prime rib cut for about $30).

Now in Kansas... same damn problem. Can't get a good steak for a fair price about anywhere- or they get it right the first time- then f*** it completely up the next. No consistency UNLESS $200 a dinner at the "high dollar" places (which I can't afford for a piece of meat that cost the house $15- paying $60 for it... IF they don't overcook it).

Steak IS a lost art in American restaurants as far as I have observed since about 1990. Damn shame, so we eat it at home (where it tastes better knowing I KILLED AND BUTCHERED IT!). When we have guests over for dinner they usually freak out a bit over the size of the serving- then ALMOST always eat the whole thing and ask "when can we do this again?"