How Much PTO Do You Have?

cnelk

WKR
When I retired 2 years ago I had 5 weeks of vacation and rolled over 5 weeks = 10 weeks/year
I did a lot of hunting and fishing ;)

Plus 2 Personal Days
Plus 3 Floater Days
Plus 96 hrs of sick time/ year

I left 1000hrs of sick time on the table when I left and got paid out for the rest.

Its sure is nice not to answer to 'The Man' anymore.

TheTone

WKR
Right now about 7 weeks, I max out around 8.5 weeks? Tons of sick leave, probably close to 30 weeks right now. I don’t take a ton of time off and anything over 40 hours a week gets me comp time. I’ll probably be getting paid to take a lot of time off the year I retire

tony

WKR
My last job, county Paramedic had an awesome sick/vacation plan.
3 personal days and we could carry over 3 PD's a year. So if you didn't use yours you could start Jan 1 with 6 days. Or you could take pay for these days.
Sick and vacation time was time on the job based, its been a while but I had like 1200 hours vacation time and 2,000 hours sick time.
A portion of sick time is converted into retirement when you retire in out state system.
I "retired" early to go into nursing FT. I drew a full time check for about 6 months.
Best part of all this was working a 24 hour shift, I had a set schedule and worked Monday and Friday.
Still work PT maybe a 8 hour shift every other month

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
can earn 80 hours and at 15 years you get 120 we are on the low end of the benefits as compared what is offered to other people

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I never really understood the concept of "paid" time off. "So you're saying that you want to pay me.........while I'm not even here working"? What a concept. I never gave it much credence beyond an incredible gift from the company, because I was more than willing to take time off without pay as needed.

I accrue at 3 weeks (15 days) per year.

Then I'm given a floating holiday for Good Friday.

Then I get 3 weeks of PTO, but that's more for sickness, dealing with family issues, etc. The criteria to charge that account is 1) can only be done by me, and 2) can only be done during work hours. I've been thinking about using it to shop for retirement properties in WY. :) I usually only use about 5 of these 15 days a year.

Lastly I get the week off between Christmas and New Years.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing something wrong. I might get a week off total this year and it will be unpaid. My problem is that I am the owner and too cheap to hire someone else so that I can take off more time. I need to get my work/personal time in order.

mlgc20

WKR
I accrue 7 weeks per year. Between, two weeks in Wyoming for fishing/backpacking, 2 weeks in Colorado for hunting, and 1 week in Europe with the wife, I can go through my PTO pretty quickly.

When I was younger, I would rarely take extended PTO. Now, I try to take it all. My company is great about letting me go out into the wilderness and be completely out of communication for a week. Every once in a while I have to get to a mountain top and find cell coverage to talk to someone. But, it's pretty rare.

Retired at 55, guided for another 10, no time off there. But now, I just kinda go when she's tired of seeing my face, she is loving Africa. Starting home tomorrow.

I think I get two weeks of "sick" and five more weeks of "vacation." A week being 40 hours.

I also take off a number of days throughout the year without paying myself for them.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Company doesn't allow us to bank days, so it is all use it or lose it.

PTO - 15 days
Personal - 2 days
Sick days - 10 days

I do get anywhere between 3-8 days of flex time, where I work overnight or weekends and my boss will let me take random days off to cover that time.

southLA

WKR
I get 80 hours of total time off per year. Can carry over 40 max. I get an extra 40 this year though based on my time here.

I feel like I really need about 160 hours.

I thankfully work for a company that allows “unlimited” PTO. It’s not tracked, but I take between 25-35 days a year and some colleagues take 40+, with no questions.

Taking vacation accrual off the balance sheet has benefits for everyone.