How often does everyone upgrade their packs?

Marble

WKR
I'm not sure if it's really upgrading... but I've got 3 kifaru packs in the last 4 years. And I'm looking at getting another. Maybe I'll get rid of one I've already got...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
As far as some of the comments on stuff wearing out on the packs. I've been using the same duplex frame, straps and belt. Besides some discoloration from use (dirt, blood or whatever), it's as good as new.

Last year I hunted around 200 days, the year prior about 100. Other years it's closer to 50. So it's seen it's use.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Much like everybody else on this thread, I have never worn out a pack. Every time I have gotten a new one or replaced one it’s been two get a better fit or better functionality or something else.

In my hunting career since I was a teenager, I’ve gone through the following:

• Camelback Camoflage Pack (no idea where it ended up)
  • Voodoo Tactical Rucksack (biggest POS I’ve ever worn. Well made but man did it hurt)
  • Badlands Superday (sold to a guy I know who needed a daypack, kinda wish I still had it)
  • Stone Glacier Avail 2200 on X Curve Frame (sold to find some medical bills and the X Curve didn’t fit me great)
  • Killik K2800, Sportsman’s Warehouse store brand (broke on the only packout it ever saw, a big bodied mule deer)
  • Mystery Ranch Metcalf (second only to the Voodoo Tactical for how awful it hurt)
  • Stone Glacier 40/56 on X curve frame sheet with straight frame stays (sold bag only in order to upgrade to slightly more organization and a little more “bivy mode” space, but this frame fits me like it was made specifically for my body)
  • Stone Glacier Sky 5900 on same frame as above (the straight frame fits like it’s made for me, and I run the 5900 bag without a top lid, it’s perfect for anything and everything I would ever need a pack for)
It pains me to see how much money I have spent and wasted buying and selling packs over the years, but I am positive I’m not the only person who has done exactly this. Packs are difficult and fit every individual differently, and finding the right one is a process for sure. At this point I’m not planning to upgrade unless something is worn out completely beyond repair, but I guess time will tell.

Tradchef

WKR
I used an eberlestock x2 for a lot of years and packed a lot of animals out with that and an old rei trail 35. To say it sucked was an understatement but it got the job done for not a lot of money. I was using an SG Solo 3300 for a few years then got the itch to try a kifaru. It was ok and packed animals well but after 4 seasons I just was never crazy about it. I’m back to SG and the evo frame with the 5900 bag and I’m on my 3rd season and couldn’t be happier to be honest. I might get another bag or two here and there but I don’t like to switch packs much. Once it’s dialed up I like not screwing around with it anymore. I backpack all year in it as well so I like it for multi use backpack/camping and hunting

11boo

WKR
Been running a Kuiu since 2017. They just sent me a new suspension, the rest is still in decent shape. Not a great pack for heavy loads, but great for me.

Good warranty support. It fits so well, I’m not upgrading yet.
IMG_7949.jpeg

I've used the women's MR Metcalf for the last 8 years. Multiple elk, 12 mule deer, a couple of speed goats and Mirriams turkeys later it's still going. I just power wash the blood off each winter and we go again. I've tried pretty hard not to rip the shoulder straps, I think that we might go first. Use it for summer backpacking trips where I have to carry a lot, like fly fishing trips, long food and water carry or packing a BV500. I won't buy a new one till this one's dies. I love it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn’t upgrade when I went with a Seek Outside over my tried and true Stone Glacier. I owned both, but only used the SO Divide for winter backpacking trips and longer backpacking trips. The SG was exclusively used for hunting. In attempt to simplify things, I decided to see if I could live with just one pack to do both. So far the answer is yes.

Good modern hunting packs aren’t going to need much upgrading.

hunterjmj

WKR
I still have my Kifaru long hunter from 2001 that is my primary meat hauler. Lots of wear and tear but it keeps trucking. My new favorite is the Minikeg. That thing is so light and comfortable and I know I'll get a lifetime of use out of it. I also picked up the Kutthroat but have yet to us it. Packs have definitely come a long way in 20 years. I have an Eberlestock day pack I used for a couple years which is ok but wears on you after all day use. My dads old pack from Vietnam is my trapping pack. I still use it because it brings back memories of trapping with my dad. That pack is almost 50 years old now.
All my packs will outlive me for sure but no denying newer packs are more comfortable.

87TT

WKR
I have two Exo K2 packs. One I bought and have used four five years and a second one I put together from components bought used here. I sold the Kuiu I had to do that. I looked at the K3 but like the K2 better. I have a K3 belt on it now and have been using it for training to test it. So far so good. I looked at the K4 at their shop when I got the K3 belt. It looks nice but I passed as I don’t think I could justify it at my age. So as I’ve said since I got the K2, “unless it catches fire or gets stolen, I have bought my last pack”.

I had my previous pack for 10 years, and just bought an Exo K4 this year. I expect to keep it for a long while unless I end up needing a different size or featured bag for a specific hunt.

I am on year 5 of my KUIU 3600 and 7000. Shows some wear, but still in great shape and I love the pack.

Fatcamp

WKR
This thread reminds me I need to change my pack. Nothing wrong with the one I have, but it's June and all my other gear is squared away.

😁

I bought my second pack since 2013 a couple years ago. Not because I wore my other pack out either. The Kifaru DT1 on Tactical Frame just won't let me wear it out. And the Hoodlum isn't showing any signs of wearing out anytime soon either. I'm pretty much set for life. Sadly, Kifaru won't be getting anymore of my money because their stuff just doesn't wear out.

I only spend about 20-30 days of actual hunting with the pack so assuming it'll last me a long time. I ruck with it once or twice a week year round with weight as it keeps me in shape and I enjoy it, so it gets pretty gross from that, but easily washed out once or twice a year.

For those who are upgrading, but don't have the option to try on before you buy, do you just order a few and then sell the ones you don't use second hand or just buy one based on recommendations and research?
If you like your buddy’s exo start there. If the hip belt is comfortable under load that’s the most important to me. Next is bag layout and bag access. I like a panel load style or side zipper, but some like top access only. Exo, SG, Kifaru will all outlast your use and I think they all have a reasonable return policy so you might just be out shipping if you order and don’t like a pack. It is also worth your time to call whoever you’re interested in buying from. They might be able to shed light on features you don’t even know you can’t live without.
If you’re in MT you’re welcome to try my Kifaru, but it’s an older hunter duplex frame that they don’t make anymore. Good luck.

I’ve gone through packs like people go through underwear. When I find something I like, I get this feeling I need multiple “just in case.”

I truly think I’ve found the one that fits me like the proverbial glove in the K4. So much so that I now own four of them. 😂

I hate me.

I have not had to replace a pack yet. Just the shoulder and hip belts on my kifaru frames from normal wear and tear.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 different Kifaru packs. 44 mag, Stryker xl and a fulcrum 1 purchased in 2019 and 2 more after that. Switch out packs depending on the type of hunt I will be doing. If I could only have 1 pack it would be the fulcrum or possibly a hoodlum or mountain warrior.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Kuiu Icon Pro for 5 seasons. Going on season 4 with my k3. I plan to buy the k4 as a backup so anywhere from 3-5 years. Hoping to push the Exo packs longer as long as I can get replacement parts. I have had to use warranty services twice for my k3.