Hunting with Golden Eagles

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
One of my coworkers is a falconer and went to Mongolia last year to do this. She told me stories and showed some pretty awesome pictures.

It amazes me that those birds can take down a dog like that. You would think a lot of the birds would get hurt or killed.

I grew up with hawks and eagles. My dad is a falconer and so are a lot of his friends. One of them has a golden. She is a extremely large female. Trapped her on a sheep farm in wyo. Used a live sheep as bait. I've seen that eagle dominant just about everything from coyotes to deer...Even think she killed a young wolf once years ago my dad said, I don't imagine on purpose but they don't discriminate. Absolutely amazing animals..always love watching them work...when they strike they say its the equivalent of being hit point blank with a 30-06.. I believe it having seen that crushing blow...you never want to be on the receiving end of those feet...

Shrek

WKR
The golden eagles are fierce predators ! I've seen a big bald eagle take a small dog off a guys lawn and eat it sitting on a power pole around the corner. I stopped and told the guy who was calling his dog what had happened to it. He was pretty upset about it.

I think it is very rare. There is a guy here in my town with one that I think he got as a rehab bird from WY. He uses it for education purposes now but he also lets it hunt rabbits in the sage flats he said.

Found it. Maybe only organizations like this can have them. Not sure why he kept the Golden Eagle though.
http://www.gowildlife.org/
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...life-rescue-with-more-than-8000/#.VR1G8xrF-qY

Falconers can own them. They have to apply for a permit from the federal govt. Which can take years. Then the govt directs the capture of the eagle. In my dads buddy's case it was an eagle that was killing livestock and was a problem. In order to become a falconer 3 other falconers have to sign off on your KSAs. So its not easy to become one to start...takes years of training....I learned from my dad and his buddies but I haven't had a bird in years due to my life and work...but I still try to go with them when they hunt. My dad was a zoologist and ran the national zoo for years that's where he got his start...very hard group to break into, unless your a prince in the middle east...those guys go everywhere with their birds.