Idaho DFG Website

Actually, 12,815 NR tags is $5,340,000 give or take. Bumping them up to $650 each they can make the same money by selling 4,600 fewer tags. MT did the same thing, people complained, now you aren't guaranteed a tag because of demand. It'll even out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You're probably right. Forgot that my tag cost included the $20 archery permit when I did the math. Idaho should do what Idaho wants to do no question about that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Actually, 12,815 NR tags is $5,340,000 give or take. Bumping them up to $650 each they can make the same money by selling 4,600 fewer tags. MT did the same thing, people complained, now you aren't guaranteed a tag because of demand. It'll even out.

I think the number is somewhere between our two figures. I included total with license and archery permit that I justpaid and seems like you didn't. You have to figure there are a huge number of people who only by a license because they come to hunt elk, no tag, no license fee collected either from alot of those people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think the number is somewhere between our two figures. I included total with license and archery permit that I justpaid and seems like you didn't. You have to figure there are a huge number of people who only by a license because they come to hunt elk, no tag, no license fee collected either from alot of those people.

You would be surprised. There are FAR more people who buy a license, and no tags at all, because they come to fish. Also, a lot buy just a deer tag if their elk zone is out. I think you are automatically assuming doom and gloom. And, no, I didn't include the base license price because we were discussing tag sale revenue and not overall license revenue. NR have had their cake and been eating it too for a long time. Idaho is just adjusting tag prices for inflation and demand, well within their right to do so. I still think the tags are going to sell out, but I believe there will be fewer tags bought as a second tag option with the price increase.

Can anyone explain the “Motorized Restriction” law in Idaho? So if I am sitting on my ATV glassing for game on a two track, am I going to get a ticket?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can anyone explain the “Motorized Restriction” law in Idaho? So if I am sitting on my ATV glassing for game on a two track, am I going to get a ticket?
Depends on if that trail is listed as open in the MVUM for that unit. Some trails are closed during season, except for game retrieval, others aren't. You just have to study the map for the unit you are hunting and go from there

In designated units from August 30 through December 31, big game hunters may use motorized vehicles only on established roadways which are open to motorized traffic and capable of being traveled by full-sized automobiles. Exceptions. This use restriction rule shall not apply to the following permissible motorized vehicle uses by hunters off of an established roadway: • Holders of a valid Handicapped Person’s Motor Vehicle Hunting Permit may use a motorized vehicle as allowed by the land owner or manager. • Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager. • Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to pack camping equipment in or out if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager, but hunters may not hunt while packing camping equipment. • Private landowners, their authorized agents and persons with written landowner permission may use a motorized vehicle on their private land, but they may not hunt from or by the use of any motorized vehicle.
a. A motorized vehicle is any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power. b. A full-sized automobile is any motorized vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 1,500 pounds. c. An established roadway is defined as any road that is established, built, maintained, approved or designated by any government entity or private landowner for the purpose of travel by full-sized automobiles. An established roadway shows evidence of repeated use by full-sized automobiles, and may include a traveled way of natural earth with depressed wheel tracks and little or no vegetation in the tracks. d. A hunter is a person engaged in the activity of hunting as defined in Idaho Code Section 36-202(j). “Hunting” means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded. Such term does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, any wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures thereof

You would be surprised. There are FAR more people who buy a license, and no tags at all, because they come to fish. Also, a lot buy just a deer tag if their elk zone is out. I think you are automatically assuming doom and gloom. And, no, I didn't include the base license price because we were discussing tag sale revenue and not overall license revenue. NR have had their cake and been eating it too for a long time. Idaho is just adjusting tag prices for inflation and demand, well within their right to do so. I still think the tags are going to sell out, but I believe there will be fewer tags bought as a second tag option with the price increase.

No assumption of doom and gloom just pointing out that a state agency is not going to let a revenue source drop, not one penny. Face it states and state agencies are businesses they are beholden to the mighty dollar as much as a corporation is. They have budgets and revenue expectations just like the companies most of us work for. They should increase cost and cut numbers if that's what the market demands or what creates a sustainable future. My question is just that. Is it fixing a problem or is it simply appeasing the loudest people in the room that think they will magically have better results because all the damn NR hunters are out of their woods. First it was the wolves that ruined everything in the units I hunt and now it's the NR hunters, what the next reason?

Rob5589

WKR
No assumption of doom and gloom just pointing out that a state agency is not going to let a revenue source drop, not one penny. Face it states and state agencies are businesses they are beholden to the mighty dollar as much as a corporation is. They have budgets and revenue expectations just like the companies most of us work for. They should increase cost and cut numbers if that's what the market demands or what creates a sustainable future. My question is just that. Is it fixing a problem or is it simply appeasing the loudest people in the room that think they will magically have better results because all the damn NR hunters are out of their woods. First it was the wolves that ruined everything in the units I hunt and now it's the NR hunters, what the next reason?

We're getting a bit off track but, a recent thread in regards to ID elk basically resulted in; the number of new resident hunters increased dramatically. So in order to make sure residents get tags, the non resident had to be cut and shifted over the the res pool. The numbers are basically the same but, adjusted to help the residents.
Totally understandable, I have no issue with the state taking care of their own. To really combat the non resident "problem," residents should be allowed to buy tags first, say for 5 days. Then after the 5 days, all the left overs go into a first come, first served system like they have now. IDFG would likely have to raise resident prices some and maybe triple non resident fees so as not to lose dollars.

Luckyrxc

FNG
It's a bit unfair of NR's to assume that residents don't experience the same problems, and don't care that you have problems. Many of us have experienced the same difficulty while attempting to purchase tags we've bought many times in the past.
And many of us are inconvenienced when our out of state friends and family members cannot hunt with us because they experience problems.

Last edited:

Scooter37

FNG
There may be some Idaho fish and game employees who are tough to deal with and I can understand the frustration trying to get tags especially in short supply, but every interaction I have had with them last year and this year has been good and they have been exceedingly helpful. My elk tag purchase this year went thru fine my son trying to buy his had nothing but problems. He called on Monday and the staff was very helpful getting his info put in but it still wouldn’t go through. The person he was dealing with went above and beyond and kept working on the issue with their supervisor and called him back with a resolution to make the purchase work. Great customer service if you ask me by the people answering the phone and working the offices even to non residents like us. We were very grateful for the help and just want to give credit where it’s due

Sorry, I'm confused here. So NR otc tags went on sale the 1st, but it's just the diamond Creek unit sold out?

Rob5589

WKR
I have never experienced a problem with their employees. And computers are computers. I've had way more issues with websites other places. Like Camofire right at 11PM. Idaho DFG is top rate. You want problems? Try California.
Me neither. The ladies at the F&G have always been helpful and friendly.

When you say "problems in California," you need to be specific. It is all kinds of F'd up here :ROFLMAO:

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry, I'm confused here. So NR otc tags went on sale the 1st, but it's just the diamond Creek unit sold out?
Yes, 12/1 for non residents. This thread is, mostly, dealing with Diamond Creek but, there are likely other units sold out as well. For non residents.

87TT

WKR
Me neither. The ladies at the F&G have always been helpful and friendly.

When you say "problems in California," you need to be specific. It is all kinds of F'd up here :ROFLMAO:
Too many to mention but all way in the past thank God.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Couple of zones, these always sell out first
a756ba0d598eac6bd500d2e30e0abc21.jpg

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Really! A 10am start time for the Sawtooth tags. What a croc, make it midnight like the DC tags, its only fair.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really! A 10am start time for the Sawtooth tags. What a croc, make it midnight like the DC tags, its only fair.
Why? So you can rant about that too? It isn't just Diamond Creek tags that start at midnight, they just happen to get the most press. I think there's nothing wrong with the 10am time. You're just stirring the pot.

GregB

WKR
What's not fair, they go on sale 6 months later at 10 AM. 10 AM or midnight they sell out in a minute anyway.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
yeah you guys are right, I'll quit ranting because if anything I should be happy that the Sawtooth tags sell later, just in case a guy didn't get a Diamond Creek tag, the Sawtooth would be a great backup plan. With 77 non res tags, Half the elk have probably never even seen a human before. :)