Idaho Tag Site Already Crashed

ianpadron

WKR
Ian- That’s perfect. Honestly Idaho prob should just go to a draw system. The IDFG is well aware of the flaws in system and have also publicly apologized about it. I thinks it’s time to move on. You seem to be very opinionated for a young kid from the Midwest who hasn’t really cut his teeth out west yet. Not trying to start anything here, I think we can both agree to disagree and move on bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hasn't cut his teeth out West? LOL

I've lived and hunted out west for nearly a decade and am 30 years old, who's the opinionated one?

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Outfitters are guaranteed a certain number of tags each. Are you telling me they choose dec 1 to wait in line to pick these up? Or am I missing something?
Outfitter I used did indeed have outfitter tags but would also have himself and his guides stand in line to secure NR tags for those of us who were gonna use him for a hunt. I know this happened first hand as he texted me from the IGF office to tell him that he had my tag and I could log off. My assumption is that they sell more hunts than they have outfitter tags for but not sure.

ianpadron

WKR
I

lol last year was a temp crash, not all day and people at in state vendors cleaned the prime tags out for themselves and buddies.

What’s YOUR point bud?
Uhhh...maybe that the state should have realized the inefficiency of their systems/servers and been proactive in the past 12 months.

Pretty sure that exact sentiment has been spelled out about 50 times now in this thread:

IDFG knew they had issues last year, nothing was done by their 3rd party vendor despite the trends in tag sales indicating that 2023 would be the biggest year yet...and sure as shit, gong show of epic proportions.

Not sure how that point could be made any more clear.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Outfitter I used did indeed have outfitter tags but would also have himself and his guides stand in line to secure NR tags for those of us who were gonna use him for a hunt. I know this happened first hand as he texted me from the IGF office to tell him that he had my tag and I could log off. My assumption is that they sell more hunts than they have outfitter tags for but not sure.
Interesting, maybe it’s not considered the reselling of the tag which the licensing agent said was illegal. Sold you a hunt and not the tag maybe lol I have no idea anymore but if you ain’t cheatin you ain’t tryin.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Uhhh...maybe that the state should have realized the inefficiency of their systems/servers and been proactive in the past 12 months.

Pretty sure that exact sentiment has been spelled out about 50 times now in this thread:

IDFG knew they had issues last year, nothing was done by their 3rd party vendor despite the trends in tag sales indicating that 2023 would be the biggest year yet...and sure as shit, gong show of epic proportions.

Not sure how that point could be made any more clear.
Maybe it’s on purpose and maybe it’s exactly how they want it 😏
Don’t forget the BOAL tactics, create a lot of noise on social media….

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, maybe it’s not considered the reselling of the tag which the licensing agent said was illegal. Sold you a hunt and not the tag maybe lol I have no idea anymore but if you ain’t cheatin you ain’t tryin.
Being that I actually paid for the tag, I guess that made what he did ok. That was my first time with an outfitter and it did seem odd the way it worked but I’m not sure. Have always done OTC so new to that process.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you really listen to the Idaho Fish and Game. They know this system sucks and they don't care. I feel it will go to a draw for NR next cycle. Which sucks even more for NR.

Side note, all four wheelers should be banned from September 1 to December 1 in Idaho. You law breaking lazy ***** mess up more hunts than your fat asses will ever know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
If you really listen to the Idaho Fish and Game. They know this system sucks and they don't care. I feel it will go to a draw for NR next cycle. Which sucks even more for NR.

Side note, all four wheelers should be banned from September 1 to December 1 in Idaho. You law breaking lazy ***** mess up more hunts than your fat asses will very know!

I witness this two year ago

Hike way in to find a camp setup with atvs. Ok they can use the to carry camp in

Go back early morn, pass them by in dark while they sleeping I assume, for them right at daylight to drive down and pass me up while listening for bugles

Side note, all four wheelers should be banned from September 1 to December 1 in Idaho. You law breaking lazy ***** mess up more hunts than your fat asses will ever know!

Opening day this year, in a unit with very easy terrain, I took my 2 older boys ages 8 and 6 out for a morning hunt. We hike out a mile and a half from the truck, the morning is all quiet, then I hear 2 quads off in the distance. The 2 riders proceed to ride cross country with no trail or road in sight over 1/2 mile straight in our direction. When they get to us they turn their machines off and start the conversation by looking at my kids and saying “you boys need to tell your dad to get you a 4 wheeler” I said no they are fine they can walk. Guy on the quad then goes on a rant about which landowners in the area won’t let him hunt anymore, I tried my hardest to be cordial but he kinda wore on my nerves from the beginning. Eventually I say “Ok we are gonna head off here to the NW and glass” guy says ok we will head another direction, we walked no more than 10 feet and the guys fire up their machines and ride right on past us to the NW.

I hate slobs on 4 wheelers, and considering how that guy follows the rules of public land I am not shocked that most of the private landowners no longer allow him to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I see several comments about the increase in demand coming from residents. This is simply not true, based on last data available in the 2019 commissioners report. Residents still make up for 75% of the licenses sold.

1670275728985.png

From the 2019 report we see there is not an increase in resident combo, hunting, or fishing licenses.

Regardless of what the population dynamics are doing the resident hunting pressure is down from ATH in 2012.

From the same report, NR tags sold for the same years:
1670276374115.png

NR combo sales have doubled since 2012, and hunting tags have increased 80%. NR deer tags went from 5k in 2012 to 12K by 2019. Elk from 8K tags in 2012 to 18K.

This leads to two things, both being true. Residents make up the majority of hunting demand and pressure. Residents see way more hunting pressure coming from NR than what they have experienced in the recent past.

Life's too short, hunting season even shorter, to whine about NR vs resident hunting pressure.

Hunting should be about conservation, nothing we have going on here with the IDFG system centers itself around conservation, ie unlimited resident tags, increasing tags in spite of a decreasing population. Both of these issues are not a resident or nonresident issue, bipartisan if you will.

Residents have it in their best interest to ensure the NR tag sale occurs as efficiently as possible.

Just my fiat 2 cents.

Attachments

• 1670276024619.png
    1670276024619.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 18
That's some interesting data. The population is growing like wildfire, but the hunting license purchases don't look to be increasing. It looks like Idaho is being populated by non-hunters.
Looks like your loosing seniors and not having them replaced, and maybe folks no longer take their kids hunting.

KurtR

WKR
I see several comments about the increase in demand coming from residents. This is simply not true, based on last data available in the 2019 commissioners report. Residents still make up for 75% of the licenses sold.

View attachment 484212

From the 2019 report we see there is not an increase in resident combo, hunting, or fishing licenses.

Regardless of what the population dynamics are doing the resident hunting pressure is down from ATH in 2012.

From the same report, NR tags sold for the same years:
View attachment 484215

NR combo sales have doubled since 2012, and hunting tags have increased 80%. NR deer tags went from 5k in 2012 to 12K by 2019. Elk from 8K tags in 2012 to 18K.

This leads to two things, both being true. Residents make up the majority of hunting demand and pressure. Residents see way more hunting pressure coming from NR than what they have experienced in the recent past.

Life's too short, hunting season even shorter, to whine about NR vs resident hunting pressure.

Hunting should be about conservation, nothing we have going on here with the IDFG system centers itself around conservation, ie unlimited resident tags, increasing tags in spite of a decreasing population. Both of these issues are not a resident or nonresident issue, bipartisan if you will.

Residents have it in their best interest to ensure the NR tag sale occurs as efficiently as possible.

Just my fiat 2 cents.
From the idaho game and fish site there are 12815 nr elk tags and 14000 deer tags.

Now i dont know if you are counting in the limited entry tags for elk which may raise that number.

They should just do what Alaska does with (most) registration hunts; only allow in person tag purchase in the hunt unit or nearest office to the hunt unit. Come spend some money in the local economy more than once a year. They always seem to do it on a Wednesday too.

Internet has made everything too easy. Louis CK had a standup about a guy complaining about slow wifi while flying on an airplane and even though that is a miracle in itself, the guy was still complaining because it was too slow. Reminds me of this thread a bit. People get to sit at home thousands of miles away and buy their tag from their pocket computer and still complain about it being a massive inconvenience. What a time to be alive.

CorbLand

WKR
Do people really think making it a draw would make it any better other than not having to wait "in line" to get a tag?

How many people don't want to wait, so they don't even try but make it a draw and how many more people are going to apply? Being forced to wait in line is a pseudo draw but it is also a barrier to entry that isn't financial. We have seen time and time again that raising prices isn't a significant barrier to entry so something has to be done.

It sucks but Idaho has some of the best, most consistent NR opportunities there is.

bignocks

FNG
Do people really think making it a draw would make it any better other than not having to wait "in line" to get a tag?

How many people don't want to wait, so they don't even try but make it a draw and how many more people are going to apply? Being forced to wait in line is a pseudo draw but it is also a barrier to entry that isn't financial. We have seen time and time again that raising prices isn't a significant barrier to entry so something has to be done.

It sucks but Idaho has some of the best, most consistent NR opportunities there is.
Love the idea of the system but do you think people who waited all year set alarms to not miss getting online and in the queue to get a random number to just get an error message a barrier to entry? So instead of it being a money thing, it's now who has the fastest internet connections. Sucks when it takes an hour to get into the system just to get put to the back of the line. Or the fact my buddy got a decent number and for whatever reason, he kept getting bumped to the back of the line. Clearly, some people are just upset. Its a great idea but only if it works. So if a draw means people get a fair shake then id guess people would be ok with that. Lets hope it doesnt need to go there and they fix the current system

CorbLand

WKR
Love the idea of the system but do you think people who waited all year set alarms to not miss getting online and in the queue to get a random number to just get an error message a barrier to entry? So instead of it being a money thing, it's now who has the fastest internet connections. Sucks when it takes an hour to get into the system just to get put to the back of the line. Or the fact my buddy got a decent number and for whatever reason, he kept getting bumped to the back of the line. Clearly, some people are just upset. Its a great idea but only if it works. So if a draw means people get a fair shake then id guess people would be ok with that. Lets hope it doesnt need to go there and they fix the current system
It does suck and it’s not the barrier to entry I would prefer but it beats raising prices to levels that mitigate it.

Either way, you are assigned a random number. There isn’t much of a difference there. All draw is going to do is make your odds worse and in ten years people will be saying Idaho needs a point system…oh, wait, people are already saying that. We all know point systems fix everything.

Don’t give up the last remaining shot at tags you have. Take it to a draw and you will never get it back.

I live 20 minutes from the Idaho border. If you take this to a draw, I personally know 20-25 people that would apply every year but don’t currently try because of the hassle it is. Your draw odds will only get worse.

sasquatch

WKR

App fee or license purchase requirement or something prevents a lot of that

CorbLand

WKR
App fee or license purchase requirement or something prevents a lot of that

Idaho already requires the purchase of a license. It is also one of the more expensive nonresident in the west. Obviously, it’s working well.

Flyjunky

WKR
It does suck and it’s not the barrier to entry I would prefer but it beats raising prices to levels that mitigate it.

Either way, you are assigned a random number. There isn’t much of a difference there. All draw is going to do is make your odds worse and in ten years people will be saying Idaho needs a point system…oh, wait, people are already saying that. We all know point systems fix everything.

Don’t give up the last remaining shot at tags you have. Take it to a draw and you will never get it back.

I live 20 minutes from the Idaho border. If you take this to a draw, I personally know 20-25 people that would apply every year but don’t currently try because of the hassle it is. Your draw odds will only get worse.
Why does it have to be a point system? Why not have a straight up random draw. When you buy your license you are assigned a random number that determines your place in line.