If you could move anywhere?

I wasnt actively looking to make a big move, figured someday, or maybe a vacation home. 20 years ago CO was high on the list due to weather, family there and outdoor opportunities, but certainly a lot has happened in the past two decades that dropped the appeal. We'll see. Still run into a lot of good folks there when I visit and hunt.

Been all over hunting in most western states. MT would still be high on the list, but it's changing rapidly, too. Such as it is, thinking maybe western NB or SD. I love bird hunting and walleye fishing, so would have plenty of both close enough to home and would still be a fairly close drive to a lot of western big game hunting in several states.

Blandry

WKR
The only other option would be either woodcock or chacalaca

I'm from south LA so I hunted a lot of woodcock and duck growing up. I hunted south and central TX for 30 years and used to see a lot of chacalaca back in the late 90's/early 2k's but stopped seeing them much post 2010. Maybe they were being over hunted. All the turkeys on that ranch also disappeared.

I do miss hunting south tx though.. wish it hadn't gone the way it did with the price gouging and all. I'd knock down a few good bucks every year
20151113_072238 (1).jpg

And saw a a lot of this too.. can't imagine what it's like now

Copy of SUNP0527.JPG

Judging by these threads (which pop up fairly often), if I lived in Wyoming or Montana I'd be pretty worried ;) I always panic a bit when I see my town mentioned.

Really, though, I think being a migratory human has some huge advantages. Don't overlook staying in the midwest, buying property and managing it for wildlife. It is unreal how much wildlife even 50-100 acres of fertile ground can sustain.

When you say "anywhere," if you can get out of the US there are a few places with tremendous hunting and outdoors possibilities that aren't over exploited.

mtnvol1

FNG
Politics aside, Colorado would be high on the list, followed by Wyoming, Montana,.... For now, staying is Tennessee is hard to beat.

Blandry

WKR
What prairie chickens in TX? Atwater's is the only one I'm aware of, but its protected and only a few around Houston airport area.
They had some up in the panhandle back in the late 90s. I haven't hunted them in a while, though. Like I initially said, hunting used to be a lot better in TX, at least on the low fence, cheap stuff, or on someone you knew personally's land.

Here you go, found this on google: By the late 1990’s lesser prairie-chicken populations declined to a critical point. They have since been closely monitored and even reviewed for listing by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The species was listed as threatened by the USFWS in 2014 before being dropped from the list by court order in 2015. Recent surveys have shown a slight increase in population levels, but cautious optimism is encouraged for those results.

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to reply to this thread but I don't want to effect my possible future move from Southern Colorado to another location not to far, lol. Population is so much less down here than up north. I can see my mule deer hunting area form my house! Honestly, probably won't ever move from my current strategic location or at least not too far away, although I greatly dislike the summer heat. My family is in southeast PA, would never move there due to density of population and crowded roads even the back roads anymore. I have thought about buying near the Chesapeake Bay, buying a boat for crabbing and enjoying life somewhere near there.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It would be the Arizona/Alaska combo... Currently it's Arizona/Wyoming combo which we're very lucky to be able to do. Horses make it 1,000x more difficult...

My wife, 2 boys and I are moving out west. We currently live in Ohio and want to experience everything life has to offer. We are avid outdoorsmen that love to hunt and fish. My wife loves hiking and enjoying the outdoors. We are currently set on Utah right now but we're not sure that is where we need to be. We have been contemplating Montana or Wyoming. So my question is, For a conservative family with 2 boys looking to move west where would you recommend? What State or even towns? My boys also enjoy sports such as baseball and football. Thanks.
Either of the Dakota's

Blandry

WKR
Either of the Dakota's

After moving here and touring North and South Dakota, South Dakota is high on my list. It's not for everyone. Some could see it as a 'dump' :). I kind of prefer dumps with low crime and lots of outdoor/hunting opportunities. Seeing the massive northern pikes on the walls of every store and the employees telling me, 'that's just a small one,' made me want to move to the Pierre area even more so.

where ever I could find with land I can claim as farm land that had as many acres as I could afford.
it doesnt matter where you go. all places have their pro's and cons. i love arkansas, but I miss the NC coast and all the water I grew up around. If I could pick anywhere at all...idk..somewhere as unpopulated as alaska but not so cold? lol

Well only 1/2 of that million will buy you a 2000 sq ft house on a 1/4 acre anywhere in the west right now, bet that money would go a lot farther in the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri… you get the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same in the midwest. A million will get you another acre or so with that 2000 sq ft house.

If you want acreage forget about it.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I retire from the USN in two years. I moving to eastern Idaho or western Montana. I have nothing to keep me in any particular place. Have some land in western PA and I’ll likely split my time.