I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a dog? If you want to go solo, but still have some sort of emotional support, maybe consider bringing it to help you acclimate before the season. I have no problem going solo, but my dog accompanies me on a lot of my trips over the summer while my wife is at work, and there's definitely a different sense to the experience when he's out there with me. Everything is still on you, but you have an extra set of eyes and ears, and even someone to "talk to" if that's what you need.

Injury is always a possibilty, but proper planning and generally being cautious/aware can help mitigate a lot. Familiarity with your equipment and the area you'll be going to also help; day trips are great for this, especially if you take time to explore different sections of where you'll be, but can be difficult if a lot of travel time is required to get there. wiiawiwb's suggestion about going with someone but doing your own thing is also a good idea if you can find a partner to make it work.

It’s fun solo and more surreal..... until you have some sort of strange experience, then your adrenaline stays spiked awhile. Also after you get home from said aforementioned strange trip. You start researching different things that get you more terrified and then begin buying lots of firearms lol.

Have you never tested yourself, either physically or mentally? Maybe some people do things that test their limits to impress others, I would imagine most do it for themselves though.
This is stuff we should be able to work through as men. We aren't talking monsters and demons under the bed. We are men who raise kids and, provide and protect our family's. I simply can't imagine being alone in the woods as a test

TxxAgg

WKR
It’s fun solo and more surreal..... until you have some sort of strange experience, then your adrenaline stays spiked awhile. Also after you get home from said aforementioned strange trip. You start researching different things that get you more terrified and then begin buying lots of firearms lol.

Go on...

Is this Rokslide? I thought this was Rokslide?
What is happening to the hunting community?
I'd rather hunt the wilderness/mountains alone than sit in a college with a professor lecturing me on economic, social or moral issues.
I am seriously considering bringing some extra calling devices and screaming out some weird tones at about midnight, just to reduce the hunting pressure in my units.
This may be the way to reduce NR over crowding.
Geeesssshhhhh

I was 9 years old the first time I went deer hunting. Probably 2 hours before dark, he had to get my older brother to his stand and was hunting himself still, he stopped the car and gave me instructions. “Walk across the corn field, you’ll get to the pines. Walk through the pines, you’ll get to the hardwoods. Continue west through the hardwoods until you hit a creek. Follow the creek to the north 100 yards to a tree stand.” He had set up a hang on stand for me, but never gave me a look at it. I found the creek, but not the stand. I sat on the ground and was scared shitless. I remember thinking that I shouldn’t be scared because I had a gun. When the sun came up, I found the stand and killed my first deer. I can honestly say I’ve never been scared in the woods since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn samsqauches.... ya gotta tell us what happened! Personally I’m more scared of the coronavirus and . I have had some super weird sh!t happen up in the Adirondacks camping with my family 2 years ago. I also did research after and yes it freaked me out even more after hearing about similar things happening and disappearances up there. Also compasses and gps don’t work up there and it’s super thick I’m some spots so it’s easy to get turned around.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
This is stuff we should be able to work through as men. We aren't talking monsters and demons under the bed. We are men who raise kids and, provide and protect our family's. I simply can't imagine being alone in the woods as a test
Luckily everyone in this world has different physical/mental limits, fears, desires, etc. No two people are the same so thanks for sharing something that doesn't phase you at all. I'm sure I've done things in my life without second thought that would make other men scared, and i'm sure I'm scared of shit that other men aren't.

Additionally, there's a big difference between being crippled by fear and having healthy fear. I would put venturing miles into a Wilderness by yourself for the first time into the healthy fear category, but maybe you wouldn't.

Damn samsqauches.... ya gotta tell us what happened! Personally I’m more scared of the coronavirus and . I have had some super weird sh!t happen up in the Adirondacks camping with my family 2 years ago. I also did research after and yes it freaked me out even more after hearing about similar things happening and disappearances up there. Also compasses and gps don’t work up there and it’s super thick I’m some spots so it’s easy to get turned around.

Great lol I’m looking to make the 5-6 hour drive up there to hunt if this Virus doesn’t close state borders next.

Luckily everyone in this world has different physical/mental limits, fears, desires, etc. No two people are the same so thanks for sharing something that doesn't phase you at all. I'm sure I've done things in my life without second thought that would make other men scared, and i'm sure I'm scared of shit that other men aren't.

Additionally, there's a big difference between being crippled by fear and having healthy fear. I would put venturing miles into a Wilderness by yourself for the first time into the healthy fear category, but maybe you wouldn't.

Man, I bet you are a barrel of fun. You sound like my mom when I was 12. Lecturing me on how to be a better person.

The thing about this is you asked a question. I answered it. With the knowledge of everything you are preaching about. I simply stated my beliefs. If you don’t like it, skip my posts.

Last edited:
OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Man, I bet you are a barrel of fun. You sound like my mom when I was 12. Lecturing me on how to be a better person.

The thing about this is you asked a question. I answered it. With the knowledge of everything you are preaching about. I simply stated my beliefs. If you don’t like it, skip my posts.
I wasn't lecturing anyone, good talk.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I’d pay extra to go it alone. I sleep better and hunt better when I don’t have to worry about others. But, I also highly value the field time with my kids and dad.

Tradchef

WKR
For me it’s the only way I’ve ever hunted. Day trips, over nights, extended......theres very few times I wish I had someone else to hunt with. Usually it’s help packing out meat or calling in certain situations. If I screw up I have no one else to blame but myself.

I force myself, but I also had that strong desire. Leaving comforts at home isn't easy.
Having enthusiasm and a thought out plan of where, when, how long, ect. will show confidence to those you're leaving at home, which can also return back to boosting your confidence.
A few car camping trips can help get use to sleeping on the grown, that way you're not up tossing and turning, making you more aware of noises. Headphones and mnt ops slumber help go to sleep.
Familiarize yourself with the area and know your way back.
Bring whatever you feel you may need to keep yourself from returning sooner. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

I’ve not been able to get way far back here in Michigan. There is a damn 2 track every time you turn around. But I do a lot of solo camping and do bike off the beaten path to camp and hunt. 1 time I woke to a half a dose or more surrounding me. There was a full moon and I was in a grove of ferns under a tarp lean to. The crunching of the leaves woke me. I only had my glock 43 and a crossbow. Just before I fired the pistol I shouted and they scattered faster then the toilet paper at wallmart because of the corona virus scare. As I sat there thinking to myself I was glad I didn’t panic and start throwing lead down range because it would have ruined my night vision defened me and left me with no ammo in case I really needed it. Strangely enough I felt calm and fell asleep pretty quickly after that and slept really well.
What I really worry about is local meth heads stumbling on me and trying something stupid. I now carry at least a glock 19 and have my ar if I’m truck camping. I usually set up like there is at least 2 people.

Blaw

WKR
I hear the OP, Cougars, Wolves, Black bear. None of those even cross my mind, and I come across their tracks all the time....its these big bastards!
This was taken from my friends trail cam...when we hiked in we came across a big literally steaming pile of bear crap...I remember joking "that is either a really big bear, or a small bear with a huge asshole" haha real funny...This cam pic was taken 2 hrs after we placed the cam. Later that season 2 sheep hunters where mauled by a Grizz in this area....I was scared shitless going and pulling my cams out of the area...
But like so many have said, far greater chances of danger day to day. I like the OP have stopped myself from solo backcountry camping do to a silly fear. But ya gotta just giver at some point. Don't be scared of life :)
grizimage.png

HDwild

WKR
So, I have a few friends/family members who love to go hunting with me (either on their tag or mine) but for some reason I have this strong desire to do a solo, backcountry, hunt. The funny thing is, even through I have the strong desire for it, the thought of it scares the shit out of me. Am I the only one that thinks it will be a nightmare to spend several night's alone in the backcountry or is it just something that seems scary because I haven't had a chance to tackle it yet...?

The reason I ask is I always hear of people who prefer to hunt solo. I'm just wondering if it's something you learn to love after doing it (and getting over the fear) or something that some people are just accustomed to from the start..
I'd highly suggest a solo hunt. I'd rather go solo than have whiny, negative, unmotivated hunting partners. I mainly hunted solo all this season and I gotta tell ya, after the first few nights when every squirrel sounded like a cougar, I settled in and felt like I was just another animal on the mountain. I swear I felt like the animals got used to my presence and halfway accepted me!

EDIT: unless you're in Grizz country.. I think I'd advise against that.