Insert Issue with Easton Axis arrows

This was a 300 axis with a standard aluminum HIT insert i was shooting spitfires and hit the knuckle. The threads of the head snapped in the insert. Been using footers since. I think it was a freak thing, I know people who have killed 10x the animals I have with the HIT System with zero failures. View attachment 264501

Curious if you think that actually happened on impact or was a result of the arrow being buried into the joint and the animal moving. Just the direction of that break looks like it came from lateral force.

I had it happen once myself, it snapped the arrow right behind the insert.

Curious if you think that actually happened on impact or was a result of the arrow being buried into the joint and the animal moving. Just the direction of that break looks like it came from lateral force.

I had it happen once myself, it snapped the arrow right behind the insert.
That’s a really good point and I never thought of it like that, it was in the last few minutes of legal light, when it hit it sounded like a .22 shot I saw Him kick and the lighted nock and arrow twirl in the air like a baton almost simultaneously with the kick or a second later. It very well could have been stuck in the shoulder and first bound snapped off on a tree and swung around or maybe the force of the shoulder moving forward flung it. I never really made sense of what had happened just figured it snapped and deflected off something

That’s a really good point and I never thought of it like that, it was in the last few minutes of legal light, when it hit it sounded like a .22 shot I saw Him kick and the lighted nock and arrow twirl in the air like a baton almost simultaneously with the kick or a second later. It very well could have been stuck in the shoulder and first bound snapped off on a tree and swung around or maybe the force of the shoulder moving forward flung it. I never really made sense of what had happened just figured it snapped and deflected off something

Lots of times it's hard to really know what happened for certain. Just looking at the damage to your arrow it doesn't look like impact damage to me. It's pretty easy to snap an arrow behind the insert,or in the case of the hit system between the insert and the broadhead where the threads create a stress riser. But those are lateral forces, the impact force will run straight down the shaft.

Lots of times it's hard to really know what happened for certain. Just looking at the damage to your arrow it doesn't look like impact damage to me. It's pretty easy to snap an arrow behind the insert,or in the case of the hit system between the insert and the broadhead where the threads create a stress riser. But those are lateral forces, the impact force will run straight down the shaft.
That’s probably the most logical explanation, it almost looked like the arrow flew back in my direction, could have been in the shoulder and his first leap forward flung it back and snapped it off or it snapped off in a tree. Who knows

Jimbob

WKR
Hey OP it looks like this is what Aaron Snyder does as well. He loves it so much he is working with Iron Will to basically make a system like this for the micro diameter arrows.

I wonder if everyone would have shot down Aaron as quickly if he came on here and said the same thing the op said.

Snyder video

OP
M

MADD BEAR

FNG
Hey OP it looks like this is what Aaron Snyder does as well. He loves it so much he is working with Iron Will to basically make a system like this for the micro diameter arrows.

I wonder if everyone would have shot down Aaron as quickly if he came on here and said the same thing the op said.

Snyder video

Thanks for the post. I dont even know who aron snyder is but the more people know the better

Edit: so I just watched the video you are referring too. And yeah that is exactly what I was explaining. This aron guy is doing exactly what I talk about in my video. Guess Im not crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
HIts require special shank lengths? I guess I've just been lucky. Been using them for years and have never purchased a special field point from Easton. I buy them in bulk off eBay.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Didn’t Easton make the “Bar” broadhead adapters at one point that covered the end of the shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
M

MADD BEAR

FNG
HIts require special shank lengths? I guess I've just been lucky. Been using them for years and have never purchased a special field point from Easton. I buy them in bulk off eBay.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

If you direct bond them the way I do then any point or BH will work. The only downside is you have your point attached and its not as easy as unscrewing and attaching another point/BH.

If you have dedicated hunting arrows and seperate arrows for practice then this system works well. I match field point weight to my broadhead weight and have two arrows made.

Like others have said, for some people having the standard HIT insert installed with two part epoxy is fine. There is a chance of failure though, so weigh your options.

Snyder video

I still wouldn't bond everything together. Snyder gets enough stuff that cost isn't an issue for him. Like he said, he builds several dozen.

The benefit I see to the system they are doing is the length, I'd still set it up to swap components.

Brendan

WKR

Snyder video
I'd still pass. As said, easy for Aron when he gets a lot of his gear steeply discounted or for free.

And, that's for micro diameter arrows which have their own challenges because outserts pretty much suck, and the deep 6 system is weaker than the .204" HIT system and requires special broadheads. And, from my testing lighted nocks are completely unreliable on the micro diameter arrows of the ones I've tested

Last edited:
OP
M

MADD BEAR

FNG
Nice to know I was not alone in my need to beef up axis arrows. I’ll happily buy collars and direct bond for a performance upgrade. If stock works for you and you like shooting the same arrow set up that a child would have then go ahead.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If stock works for you and you like shooting the same arrow set up that a child would have then go ahead.
Why would any of us like shooting super weak spined arrows? I don't even think I could get kid's arrows that are long enough, not to mention stiff enough. That's an odd comment. Still scratching my head.

As for Aron Snyder........even if Aron had been the one presenting it, that doesn't change our own personal experiences with the system. BUT.......if I was shooting 4mm arrows, I too would be looking for a better component system as well. So not really apples to apples.

The disparity in shank length is not something new, others have brought that up a few times on AT as well. But even back then, I still wasn't experiencing that as a problem. If all I shot was these GT Kinetic XT 200 arrows that I'm almost out of........then ya, I'd be using the collars as well to make the tips stronger. But I haven't had that same problem with the Axis or other .204" arrows.

I remember the original Ramcats when they came out, they had a really short shank and threads. I could barely get even one turn on the head before they seated against the shaft. I didn't see that as a problem with the HIT system, I saw that as a problem with Ramcats. The 2nd generation of Ramcats were made with longer threads which solved that problem.

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
Nice to know I was not alone in my need to beef up axis arrows. I’ll happily buy collars and direct bond for a performance upgrade. If stock works for you and you like shooting the same arrow set up that a child would have then go ahead.

Ok, that was a really dumb comment. You gained some credibility here then you say something like that?

Is your plan to be on here and tell everyone else that the way they do things is so far beneath you that it equates to childness?

Common man, share advice but don't be a prick.

Beendare

WKR
Madd, Im just relaying My experience with these Axis on hundreds of animals and spans three decades.

No arrow system I’ve seen will survive a pass-through into a rock...just costs more with the expensive after market systems.

I’ve used the collars and have not seen any significant advantage hunting wise including Australian Water Buff. ....And I’ve seen a lot of problems with the outsert systems in getting BHs perfectly straight.

OP
M

MADD BEAR

FNG
Ok, that was a really dumb comment. You gained some credibility here then you say something like that?

Is your plan to be on here and tell everyone else that the way they do things is so far beneath you that it equates to childness?

Common man, share advice but don't be a prick.

I went to my local range and youth league was getting over and I always look at peoples arrows and most the youths had axis arrows with no footers. Sorry it was just my own observations. Seen children shooting them at the range like that for indoor.

IdahoHntr

WKR
The whole point of Snyder's iron will micro inserts is to have a longer core to beef up the ends of those skinny shafts and insure better concentricity of both broadhead and shaft. It's specifically marketed for those 4mm arrows that people have struggled for years with the best way to attach a broadhead to the end.

The OP's concept is similar in that broadhead and HIT mate directly, but doing this with a normal HIT and broadhead would actually make the core much shorter and defeat the whole concept behind Snyder's new broadhead system. Not to mention you lose the ability to change systems at all, like @Brendan mentioned. The OP's system has absolutely zero mechanical benefit over a normally inserted HIT and Iron Will Collar and has the added negative of not being universal for all broadheads and field points. A solution looking for a problem.