International swap hunts between Australia and North America

Hi all,

I've heard stuff like this brought up on a few North American podcasts and it's an idea that I've always wanted to explore.

This thread is by no means me wanting to get the ball rolling and start organising stuff; rather, it's just putting the feelers out there to see if this sort of this is intriguing to enough North Americans to maybe start to form friendships online and work towards something in the future.

A quick rundown about my situation in Australia.

We have limitless hunting for many of our game species over here. fallow deer in my particular area (New South Wales) are able to be hunted from March 1st to October 31st every year. They typically rut from late March to mid April. I have several private properties where I have great access to fallow deer. We have lots of public land available in my state but it's much harder to hunt - lots of artificial pine plantation. The other great public land access in Australia is down in Victoria where lots of people pursue sambar deer. I have some experience down there and could organise something, but it's not the stuff I do most of the time. In this area, both sambar and fallow deer are able to be hunted limitlessly year-round.

Other game species I regularly hunt include rabbits, hares, feral pigs and feral goats. The goats are off-limits in some areas as they are rounded up and sold, but I still hunt them in some spots where rounding them up would be too difficult. Everything else is totally fair game and I have lots of access to those species in various places.

I also regularly fish for murray cod - an Australian native fish that is capable of growing to a huge size. Not many people eat them over here as their populations don't have big runs like some of your fish over there. It's typically a catch and release type of deal, but I'm not against somebody wanting to eat one if they want.

What really gets me excited is the possibility of forming some friendships with people over in North America, who would love to come over here and be taken on some hunting/fishing trips, in exchange for being taken out in some of the Rocky Mountains after your typical game over there. I wouldn't necessarily expect to hunt the trophy of a lifetime by any means. For me, it's more about the friendships, locations, and experiences. Similarly, I couldn't guarantee anyone an enormous trophy boar, buck, or stag, but I could certainly guarantee being given plenty of opportunities to hunt plenty of animals and have a wonderful time.

I'm a school teacher so have 12 weeks leave every year that coincide with 4 different school holiday periods, so my schedule is flexible. I typically have holidays from late December to late January (5 weeks), late March to mid-April (2 weeks), early to mid July (2 weeks), and Mid to late September (2 weeks).

Lots of the logistics can be worked out later and there is plenty more I could discuss now but I might save it for people if they have particular questions they want answered. I can also see myself potentially being inundated with emails and friend requests but we should keep it fairly low key at least until some proper discussion has been had.

I like the idea of being 'looked after' over there, in the same way I would look after someone over here. There are lots of spots where we would camp out and the country is rugged, but nowhere I go in any of these particular spots requires a hike in where you'd backpack and camp at that spot for multiple nights. I have lots of places to stay near farmhouses, and where I can drive a vehicle to. Having said that, there are some spots that require a decent hike and I am going to likely hike to them and do some overnight backpack trips this year just because it'd be fun. At the same time, I have a lot of backpacking gear and would love to backpack into areas of the Rocky Mountains with someone who has experience.

Here are some pictures of areas I tend to spend a lot of time in. If you want to see more, check out my Instagram page.

OP
W
Unfortunately not, mate. They're in the very remote areas of South Australia, Northern Territory, and Queensland. The closest I've come is I bought a rifle off a bloke who used it to hunt camels a couple of times. I'd love to hunt them one day, too.

A little while ago they were being shot commercially for the pet food market but it was discovered that something about their meat wasn't good for dogs so that industry shut down.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hunt Camel's in Australia sometime, any of those where you're at?
I read a member hunt on the Africa hunting forum not long ago about his Australian camel hunt. Seemed like a pretty cool trip. I'm not sure I even knew Australia had camels before that.

@Wilderlife Can a foreigner just show up and hunt public land in Australia? I looked into it a few months ago out of curiosity and it seemed different areas had different rules. Can you hunt buffalo on public land?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
W
Do you know the username of that member, mate? The bloke I bought my 9.3x62 off used to post on a couple of international forums and it may well have been the same bloke. He used to post on Nitro Express I think?

I would have to check the rules about some of the public land and license stuff for a foreigner. To get an R license in my state (New South Wales) an Australian needs to go through a written test. This license then allows them to hunt deer in NSW on private land, and hunt all species on public land. If you don't intend on hunting on public land but you still want to hunt deer, you need a G license. Deer in New South Wales are considered a 'game animal' so you need a license to hunt them. In Queensland, they are considered a pest, so you don't need a license. Unfortunately, there is no public land hunting in QLD and I don't have any private land access.

In Victoria, the license and system for public land is much easier. I just have to pay for my license each year and I can go down and hunt whatever public land I want for the most part.

I'll do some asking around and see what the situation is for international hunters. I can assure you though that this stuff only applies to either public land or deer. The pigs/goats/foxes/rabbits and all that jazz don't require licenses.

As far as I'm aware, the buffalo situation might start to be open to public land hunters. For a long time there was no public land access in the Northern Territory for buffalo, but I've heard from a few sources that this might change soon. That could be very cool.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Man I would love to do this. I always am so jealous of Adam Greentrees Instagram posts. If you're interested in hunting Utah we could definitely make something work!

Kiwi

FNG
Great post. Hope you can work out a hunt swap. I’ve done three North American swaps and they have all worked out great.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know the username of that member, mate? The bloke I bought my 9.3x62 off used to post on a couple of international forums and it may well have been the same bloke. He used to post on Nitro Express I think?

His username was Code4 and he hunted "far West Queensland". Looked a little like Mars in some of the pictures.

OP
W
Man I would love to do this. I always am so jealous of Adam Greentrees Instagram posts. If you're interested in hunting Utah we could definitely make something work!
What do you typically get up to in Utah, mate? I may be interested for sure.

OP
W
Great post. Hope you can work out a hunt swap. I’ve done three North American swaps and they have all worked out great.

I hope it works out, mate. We have lots to offer over here and I think developing some friendships would be a great way to do it instead of having to fork out huge dollars.

OP
W
His username was Code4 and he hunted "far West Queensland". Looked a little like Mars in some of the pictures.

Ah, OK. Different person.

Yes, it's a different world out there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd be more than happy to do this, as long as I don't have to eat any Vegemite! That's definitely an acquired taste! I live in Utah as well, but I'm moving to Idaho and would recommend it over Utah for an OTC opportunity. You'd have to draw a deer tag in Utah, same with a decent elk tag. Both can be bought over the counter in Idaho with way less competition, no matter what the Idaho guys tell you. Colorado you can do over the counter elk, but have to draw for deer. Might take some planning ahead on your part for certain states or licenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
W
I'd be more than happy to do this, as long as I don't have to eat any Vegemite! That's definitely an acquired taste! I live in Utah as well, but I'm moving to Idaho and would recommend it over Utah for an OTC opportunity. You'd have to draw a deer tag in Utah, same with a decent elk tag. Both can be bought over the counter in Idaho with way less competition, no matter what the Idaho guys tell you. Colorado you can do over the counter elk, but have to draw for deer. Might take some planning ahead on your part for certain states or licenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Idaho is definitely an area I have been thinking about, mate. I'd be happy to buy some OTC tags and then be taken out somewhere with people who have a fair idea of what they're doing. As I said before; I wouldn't have to shoot an enormous trophy and I don't want to feel like I'm asking for more than what I need to be given. I'd just like to spend time in a beautiful place that would be great to take photos, see a bit of game, maybe get lucky enough to shoot something, and then return the favour here.

I have access to some incredibly arid country out here to chase pigs and I'm sure lots of Americans would find that sort of country interesting. The mountain country I have access to for fishing and hunting is nothing like the mountain country you guys have. The highest spots I hunt are still less than 1km above sea level, but the scenery is still very impressive and challenging and there is game everywhere. The deer rutting here are also very vocal and provide something different to what you guys have over there.

Kiwi

FNG
From what little I know you should consider buying preference points as getting a ‘draw’ tag can often be better than OTC. You can still buy points for same states eg Wyoming that can be used next year. Idaho doesn’t have a point system so you could apply there next year, with the same odds as everyone else, and if unsuccessful grab an OTC tag. Need to pay $140 upfront in Idaho. The cut off to apply in Idaho is in a couple of days.

PM me and I'll get you my info. Me and a buddy are pretty dead set on getting down there next year. Not sure what we'll focus on first, but water buffalo are #1 on the list. I do everything from turkey and bear in the spring to all sorts of predators and big game in the fall. Mostly backpack hunts. I keep in touch with a couple other guys from Australia for the same purpose, it's definitely a fun deal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
@Wilderlife - This is a great offer, and one I hope to arrange with someone some day. Fallow deer is one of my top "bucket list" hunts. Also interested in any other deer that's not available in the US.

Unfortunately, we've got to find out if children are in our future before I can commit to anything. We thought it would be simple, but things don't always work out that way.

OP
W
From what little I know you should consider buying preference points as getting a ‘draw’ tag can often be better than OTC. You can still buy points for same states eg Wyoming that can be used next year. Idaho doesn’t have a point system so you could apply there next year, with the same odds as everyone else, and if unsuccessful grab an OTC tag. Need to pay $140 upfront in Idaho. The cut off to apply in Idaho is in a couple of days.
Won't bother making that cut off, mate. Just putting the feelers out there for the moment. Thinking this is a much better option than trying to save the big money to go with a guide. Especially when I've got so much to offer someone here.

PM me and I'll get you my info. Me and a buddy are pretty dead set on getting down there next year. Not sure what we'll focus on first, but water buffalo are #1 on the list. I do everything from turkey and bear in the spring to all sorts of predators and big game in the fall. Mostly backpack hunts. I keep in touch with a couple other guys from Australia for the same purpose, it's definitely a fun deal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sounds good, mate. We will talk more.

@Wilderlife - This is a great offer, and one I hope to arrange with someone some day. Fallow deer is one of my top "bucket list" hunts. Also interested in any other deer that's not available in the US.

Unfortunately, we've got to find out if children are in our future before I can commit to anything. We thought it would be simple, but things don't always work out that way.
Yeh. I can see a wedding and kids in my future as well, but I want to do a few other things first. Still doesn't mean we can't potentially strike up a friendship and start working towards something.
What sort of stuff do you normally hunt over there?

vanish

WKR
Yeh. I can see a wedding and kids in my future as well, but I want to do a few other things first. Still doesn't mean we can't potentially strike up a friendship and start working towards something.
What sort of stuff do you normally hunt over there?

Here in Colorado, we (my wife is a pretty serious hunter, too) hunt some combination of Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Pronghorn every year, usually all 4 between us. Elk is OTC, but I'd recommend at least a couple of PP for a decent mule deer hunt. Its easy to tack a black bear tag on to any of the mountain hunts, but I couldn't help you find a bear :D. This year will be the first time I bother buying one, as our bear populations are way up, but I still only average one bear siting in the field per year. Then again, I've never tried really looking for them.

Even though we hunt them every year and do fairly well, for a NR I wouldn't recommend CO for Pronghorn as there are some easy draws (1-2 PP) in WY that are leagues better. Our WY pronghorn unit is actually less of a drive than where we hunt them in CO. If you're just looking for a representative buck, I probably wouldn't recommend doing only pronghorn in a trip, either, but you could add it on the beginning/end of another hunt. They're not very hard to hunt ( with a rifle ) but a very unique and fun animal.

OP
W
Here in Colorado, we (my wife is a pretty serious hunter, too) hunt some combination of Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Pronghorn every year, usually all 4 between us. Elk is OTC, but I'd recommend at least a couple of PP for a decent mule deer hunt. Its easy to tack a black bear tag on to any of the mountain hunts, but I couldn't help you find a bear :D. This year will be the first time I bother buying one, as our bear populations are way up, but I still only average one bear siting in the field per year. Then again, I've never tried really looking for them.

Even though we hunt them every year and do fairly well, for a NR I wouldn't recommend CO for Pronghorn as there are some easy draws (1-2 PP) in WY that are leagues better. Our WY pronghorn unit is actually less of a drive than where we hunt them in CO. If you're just looking for a representative buck, I probably wouldn't recommend doing only pronghorn in a trip, either, but you could add it on the beginning/end of another hunt. They're not very hard to hunt ( with a rifle ) but a very unique and fun animal.

My girlfriend is a serious hunter as well and she would likely accompany me over to the states for this stuff I'm trying to organise.

All of those hunting options sound great. The type of game isn't as important to me as the beautiful country and the opportunities to see game and be involved in a good hunt with people who know what they're doing and are familiar with the area. I've been interested in pronghorn for a while, but I have a soft spot for elk, mule deer, and bears.

Is travel between some of these places easy? I don't know how flexible your schedules are. If you came to Australia, you'd have to fly to my town and then I'd drive you to all the places and take care of all that stuff. I'm not suggesting anyone hosting me would need to do the same, but it's something I need to consider.

Honestly, if someone drew a great tag for elk or mule deer, I'd be happy to just come along and take photos. I wouldn't even need to hunt necessarily, but I would love to hunt if I could. Compound bow or rifle for sure.

We should keep talking anyway. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Last edited: