History’s Alone - USA vs Australia 2023

fwafwow

WKR
SPOILER ALERT

FWIW, here are my initial comments on the first two episodes of Alone Australia (season 1) after completing the final episode (11) of season 10 of Alone (USA/Canada version). Your comments, criticisms and memes are welcome.
  • IMHO I'm not sure if all of the contestants on the Australian version have watched many (if any) of the prior seasons of the USA version of the show, based on some of their actions and preparation.
  • The Australian version of the show provided Covid-19 tests to the contestants. One was used, and that contestant (Jimmy) was removed for medical reasons after his pulse was 120 bpm.
  • Aussies seem to have some good gear, and at least a couple of them are cocky AF - especially Chris and Mike. Time will tell if their skills match their bravado.
  • Fire extinguishers are on prominent display near Aussie fires. I’ve not noticed them before on other Alone shows.
  • Another Aussie (Rob) left after he got rained on and his fire went out. He seemed to blame things on past stuff. He tapped out too.
  • No warnings of scary predators, at least that can eat you - but I get that there are worse things in Tasmania than wolves and bears.
  • Another contestant (Beck - no relation this Beck) also apparently was surprised by rain and tapped out when she couldn’t start a fire.
  • All of the above again happened in the first two episodes, and all of the tap-outs happened - ON DAY TWO.
This isn’t a USA vs. Australia thing. I love ‘em both. And two Canadians were the final 2 in Alone season 10, beating out the 3rd place guy from Georgia. They lasted far longer than I could, but I would never have the stones to commit to be on this show.

I may follow-up with more after episode 3.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
When that Aussie woman showed up without a sleeping bag, I just howled laughing.

How ridiculous
She’s made it two nights though. And she was smart in bulking up and working hard on a shelter. The former pilot dismissed the need for fire and any substantial shelter. Interesting gamble.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I remember something about really needing to narrow down your gear, having stuff that serves 2 purposes if possible.

Don't remember where I heard/read that tho.
Definitely. Items you bring are limited, so multiple uses are ideal. Rings a bell.

I just finished the finale too and immediately turned to the Australian season and watched those. Pretty much same thoughts as you, OP. Whole bunch of rookies with very little preparation out there. I've been impressed with the people on the last few seasons of Alone, they're coming in heavily trained.

I wonder what Alan is doing anymore. Seems like they use to have him on some, still do and I just miss it?

What was the young guy? Sam? Think he was a runner up that came back later right?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I wonder what Alan is doing anymore. Seems like they use to have him on some, still do and I just miss it?

What was the young guy? Sam? Think he was a runner up that came back later right?
yeah, I dunno, seems like Alan has kinda dropped off the map. Sam was awesome.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
I stopped watching the show when the Canadian guy on season 8, I think, drank unfiltered water consistently and somehow won.

That said, I just didn’t like the guy. Petty and strange reason to stop watching a show I know.

Crusader

WKR
I did like the American show this year, the final two guys left were pretty impressive.

On the other hand, I could hardly believe that two(!) people on the Australia show tapped on the second day. How could they be so ignorant regarding what we be involved such that they'd quit that soon? So lame. Or did the contestant vetting/selection group just royally screw up in selecting these people? During some of his exit/leaving video, the guy that tapped said something like, "I hope my family is proud of me." Yikes....

Warmsy

WKR
I did like the American show this year, the final two guys left were pretty impressive.

On the other hand, I could hardly believe that two(!) people on the Australia show tapped on the second day. How could they be so ignorant regarding what we be involved such that they'd quit that soon? So lame. Or did the contestant vetting/selection group just royally screw up in selecting these people? During some of his exit/leaving video, the guy that tapped said something like, "I hope my family is proud of me." Yikes....
They do that on purpose to engage you. The average viewer of the show could probably do a week, a month, so when the pansies drop out right away, the average viewer can put themselves at least in the middle, and watch the show until the end. It's like who wants to be a millionaire. They're picking people who will struggle to answer the questions so that you feel smarter.

WoodBow

WKR
At the start of this US/Canada season they led you to believe that the area was loaded with bear and moose. Then I think a total of one moose and maybe like 4-5 bears were seen total? 3 of those bears where a sow with 2 cubs.

If people aren't taking larger animals it is essentially just a a starving/mental toughness competition.

I thought it was a pretty boring season over all. I was rooting for the guy that tapped last. He seemed like he left in a good place though.

I have only watched one episode of australia so far and I was not impressed.

How do these shows work in terms of take?

Like, if I'm out there and I'm supposed to be surviving, and get the opportunity to kill food, do I worry about what's in season?

Can I kill a pintail out of season and the show cover the fines?

WCB

WKR
I've just watched random parts of seasons....mainly because most of the people they have as contestants are a complete joke from the get go. I may be a bit confused but even in the American seasons isn't fairly normal to have a couple people drop out with in the first few days. Hell I think I remember a guy dropping out after one night because of Black Bears.

Warmsy

WKR

Like, if I'm out there and I'm supposed to be surviving, and get the opportunity to kill food, do I worry about what's in season?

Some of the seasons were filmed on an Indian reservation, where there producers worked out deals to allow the taking of some game. If I recall correctly, in one of the seasons they were allowed to hunt certain big game but not others.

They can't break any local laws. For example this last season a guy trapped a Marten and had to release it, but they are allowed to kill a Marten with bow and arrow. Some seasons they couldn't put out gill nets until a certain day. I'm sure they sign agreements to forfeit monetary earnings for broken laws.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR

I think it might have been 3 tapping out on the 2nd episode. That one guy was trying to say that the First Nation people would have not lived in that area during that time of year - they would have migrated to a better place and returned later. Who knows if that's true, but not sure how that makes his one day tap-out any better.