History’s Alone - USA vs Australia 2023

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
They do that on purpose to engage you. The average viewer of the show could probably do a week, a month, so when the pansies drop out right away, the average viewer can put themselves at least in the middle, and watch the show until the end. It's like who wants to be a millionaire. They're picking people who will struggle to answer the questions so that you feel smarter.
OK - this makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it - the recent USA/Canada versions have been a bit boring, and perhaps it's because so many last for quite a while.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
At the start of this US/Canada season they led you to believe that the area was loaded with bear and moose. Then I think a total of one moose and maybe like 4-5 bears were seen total? 3 of those bears where a sow with 2 cubs.

If people aren't taking larger animals it is essentially just a a starving/mental toughness competition.

I thought it was a pretty boring season over all. I was rooting for the guy that tapped last. He seemed like he left in a good place though.

I have only watched one episode of australia so far and I was not impressed.
Yes on the boring factor. Not even much of a cliff hanger episode with a bear, or even something larger than a mouse, messing with people at night.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
How do these shows work in terms of take?

Like, if I'm out there and I'm supposed to be surviving, and get the opportunity to kill food, do I worry about what's in season?

Can I kill a pintail out of season and the show cover the fines?
Who knows what happens that isn't being shown... but they are supposed to follow local laws, as mentioned above. It does seem that fish are all good to catch, Grouse are free game, and whether you can shoot a feral dog or cat varies by the location. (The last one was a joke.)

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I've just watched random parts of seasons....mainly because most of the people they have as contestants are a complete joke from the get go. I may be a bit confused but even in the American seasons isn't fairly normal to have a couple people drop out with in the first few days. Hell I think I remember a guy dropping out after one night because of Black Bears.
It definitely was in the past, and I think I remember that particular guy - as my wife and I bring him up every season. IIRC he was a former military guy - maybe Green Beret? I think he did get scared when he saw bear SCAT (not a bear), and I don't remember if he even spent the night.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Some of the seasons were filmed on an Indian reservation, where there producers worked out deals to allow the taking of some game. If I recall correctly, in one of the seasons they were allowed to hunt certain big game but not others.
My favorite was when the guy killed a musk ox (I believe) - with A KNIFE.

lol I remember the bear guy, wasn't he joking with his buddies or brothers on the pre-footage saying those bears better look out because I'm not afraid of them and I'm coming for them? That one was more recent, there was another guy too that tapped I believe after a single night out there because there was "a lot of bear activity" in his area.

My favorite was when the guy killed a musk ox (I believe) - with A KNIFE.
I believe that was Roland, that dude was the real deal. He scraped every calorie off that thing too, nooks and crannies most people wouldn't even think of he ate it.

Pdzoller

WKR
Wife tried to get me to apply. I laughed and said I don’t think I could last the grind after all my preparations were set. Many people have the knowledge but like me lack the fortitude.

ozyclint

WKR
I'm an Australian and the Aussie series is a joke. I knew this would be the case long before it aired. We have no cold weather that places pressure on food supply or shelter. Very few animals that can be hunted in locations suitable for staging it. No small game or bird hunting. Trapping, snaring etc is frowned upon.
They had to live trap all animals and identify it before killing it. All fishing lines had to be attended at all times in case of capture of platypus.

Basically just a competition in seeing who can last the longest on eating fish, like all the Scandinavian series. Too much talking about their feelings more than showcasing their skills.
Woke 'welcome to country' bullshit at the start. Then tap out next day. I guess the spirit of the ancestors didn't want them there. Lol.

ozyclint

WKR
The Aussie series is no comparison to the North American series.

I looked at applying but didn't make it past the 1st clause in the terms and conditions. "...must be vaxxed for covid blah blah".

Not worth participating in anyway. Not allowed to do anything. All bets are off in real survival

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The Australian version has inspired me. I need to start my list and getting in shape.

ozyclint

WKR
By getting 'in shape' you mean putting on 100lbs? That's the best tactic to employ heading into a 'here, survive as long as you can and by the way your not allowed to do anything' contest

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
By getting 'in shape' you mean putting on 100lbs? That's the best tactic to employ heading into a 'here, survive as long as you can and by the way your not allowed to do anything' contest
Yes. Rounder. I’m pretty good at it

jofes

WKR
The episodes where there's a legitimate chance of harvesting big game are always my favorite, seasons 7-9 have been awesome, this last one was good but not as entertaining.

I figured I'd spend a few weeks eating as much peanut butter as I could stand.

However like @Pdzoller I'd have trouble with the drive to do it. I'd need to break it down in my head that I'm getting $114 an hour (6 months for 500k) to begin to think about making it.

Fortunately, I'm in a position that that doesn't really seem like big enough bait. At least not to go shower less that long.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
It definitely was in the past, and I think I remember that particular guy - as my wife and I bring him up every season. IIRC he was a former military guy - maybe Green Beret? I think he did get scared when he saw bear SCAT (not a bear), and I don't remember if he even spent the night.
He heard a bear and he did not spend the night. He was just basic military from what I remember not sf.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I think you've been in the states too long. You sound angry and jaded like us. I like it. Lol.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
How do these shows work in terms of take?

Like, if I'm out there and I'm supposed to be surviving, and get the opportunity to kill food, do I worry about what's in season?

Can I kill a pintail out of season and the show cover the fines?
They often caption scenes about what is and what isn't legal to take

In this year's episode of US Alone, there was a scene where a Pine Martin was stealing food. They captioned and the contestant noted that it was illegal to take it by trapping or by bludgeon so he went for his bow as it was the only legal method of take.

I can remember episodes where contestants had to release unwanted or illegal animals.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
The cowboy kid in this season that lost his entire quiver of arrows was something else. He seemed to be there to HUNT, not eat berries or fish. I wanted to see him go far but then he just pooped the bed so to speak and that was that.

Seeing the differing strategies is cool.

WoodBow

WKR
I will also add that it seems the people that build really nice stuff never win. All the people who build really nice cabin like shelters all tap out almost as soon as they are done building them. I'm not sure if it is all the calories required to build it or the fact that they had something to do every day and then all of a sudden they don't have anything to do besides starve.