Is a $600 backpack worth it??

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, they are worth it. Of the two you listed, I would go with the SG. While I have not used a Kuiu pack, other than the side zip off long johns, every item I have tried from them has been disappointing (pants, jacket, socks).

Exo is great (what I use), Seek Outside is great (I have one, does not work well for me). SG is great (I have an Avail, so no experience with their load hauling frames, yet). Kifaru has a solid reputation (though they are the heaviest and most expensive).

An example, Scarpa makes outstanding mountaineering boots as does La Sportiva. Almost without fail, if a person likes one the will hate the other. For me, La Sportiva fits well, Scarpas do not. Packs are similar. That is why I still recommend SO, the design is solid and well executed even if it does not work well for me.

Other brands can work, but there is a reason the four I listed come up repeatedly as good options.

Exo gives a 30 day return window so you can try the pack out. I think SG and Kifaru do the same (varify that).

Sadler

WKR
You can use an EXO and return it within 30 days. I did a couple years back. Only had about ten miles on it but they didn’t care and gave me a full refund.

BUCKELK

FNG
Doing my first trip out west this year. Many more hunts planned and would love the chance to hunt other big game in a ton of states in the years to come. (28 yrs old) But im having a hard time choosing between two different packs. The stone glacier talus 6900, and the kuiu 6000. I dont have anyone or any where near me that has these available to try out. I guess what i really am trying to ask is a $600 pack worth it? Like is it a buy once cry once type of ordeal? And if i do buy, what pack have people had more luck or suggest over the other?
I bet everyone in here has at least a $600 dollar backpack, and before that spent $2000 on multiple cheap packs that sucked. We should have just started with a good one. I know that's my mileage.

I don’t have a problem dropping +$600 on a pack for hunting. As long as It’s quality holds up to the price tag, and it’s made in America. These days you definitely get what you pay for. I’ve been burned in the past on under performing gear on the mountain. I do everything in my power to prevent that from happening ever again. Especially when a hunt only happens once a year.

WKR
Didn't read whole thread but I only buy tried and true equipment because I always want to maximize my time in the field and enjoyment of it. For me my Kifaru gear has been very good. We have 3 packs and lots of Kifaru accessories between my son, daughter and myself. Just drew a sheep tag and finally ordered the lite pack frame.

There are several American made packs we have tried out and all would have been fine. The Kifaru stuff just seems to fit us best. This is one product category where buying American is the really easy choice.

So long story short, yes $600 packs are worth it.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
Another vote for Kifaru. I have had pretty much every pack there is to buy over the years. Not saying Kifaru is the best, but it's what fit me the best. Btw I packed out 4 elk, 6 deer and 3 hogs with my Kuiu Icon 3200. Never had a problem. Very good packs up to 60-65 lbs. After that, the Kif really separates itself from the Kuiu. Really need to ask yourself, how much weight am I really going to carry and how far am I going to carry it. I carried an entire boned out mule deer just over 3 miles with head and horns a few years ago. I weighed my pack at the truck. With my gear knives, rangefinder, gamebags etc the pack weighed 98 lbs. No issues at all. It was with the Kuiu pack. It can be done. I didn't think I'd go that deep from the trailhead so I packed light. My Kifaru Mountain Warrior is like 4600 cu in. So it's bulky and heavier by 1.5 lbs than my Kuiu. Try out what fits you the best from friends or shows but keep in mind your goals. I wear a pack probably 60 to 70 days each year so I want to be comfortable. If it was only 10 days I'd probably go with a cheaper pack and put more money towards boots or optics. JMO.

excaliber

WKR
I haven't read this whole thread so if this has been mentioned already, please forgive me.

Some people buy a few packs they think they might like. Load them up and take them for a spin.
Then you keep the one you want and return the others.

You'll be out quite a bit of money at first but you'll get to try them out that way. Or you can just buy an EXO pack and believe me it will be more than good enough if you've never tried a 600.00 pack.

They do have a 100.00 off deal going right now on blemish packs.

Best of luck.

I didn’t want to say it out right in my previous post but I do run Kifaru for all my pack related gear. I admit it was hard on the wallet but I do believe I’ll get many years out of my Kifaru gear in the long run.

S.Clancy

WKR
Get a cheap pack for 2 reasons:

1. Who knows how much you will like packing and hunting off your back. Better to buy a 100$ frame pack to test out how "fun" you think it is.

2. Non-600$ packs build character. Never go to the best thing right away, you'll never fully appreciate it.

Lowg08

WKR
If you enjoy suffering buy a cheap pack. If you want to buy a cheap pack. You will definitely not enjoy back pack hunting. I have a sky talus 5900. Just try out frames if you can. It depends.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I retired my Badlands 5500 in favor of a Kuiu 6000 for my Chugach Goat hunt. I liked the system very much and am buying my wife the sale frame etc. right now and 2300 bags for both of us. The only complaint was I needed 6000 Cuin to get gear to camp, but nearly all of it was left in camp. With the quick draw rifle holder the rifle/pack could not be cinched down enough and the barrel would hit me in the head in super sketchy terrain.

jimh406

WKR
I think you need to consider your overall budget for other items like fuel, weapons, optics, clothing, food, vacation time, tags, etc. If you don't have a budget, then it simplifies things.

That being said, I'm another person who likes Mystery Ranch products. Solid products for a somewhat reasonable price. I like the popup models.

Lowg08

WKR
The beauty of multiple pack options is there is different builds and options for all. If you can look around or try one out. If you are near western North Carolina give me a shout and you can try mine

woods89

WKR
They're not worth it......

......until you have to put a whole quartered deer or an elk quarter in it and take it up and out. Then you get quite thankful for the money spent.

The first couple deer I packed out were with a vastly inferior system. I wouldn't change that part, as it was very instructive about what worked and what didn't. I have used a Gen 2 duplex and a few different bags since about 2015. Between clearance sales and the classifieds here the only thing I've paid full retail for is a gun bearer.

Take your time and buy used if you need to. You don't even have to have matching colors. I packed a turkey camp in last weekend with a Foliage frame, Multicam bag, and Wolf Gray lid......

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
We knocked down a couple elk this past fall and my kids use my old Kuiu packs. My daughter carried 72 lbs of meat in the Kuiu 3200 Icon Pro and a rear qtr in her Kuiu 1850 Pro pack. She went two and half miles and came back for another load. All I did was breakdown elk for 2 hours. Kids did everything with their packs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-173053_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-173053_Photos.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220421-172820_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-172820_Photos.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 72
It’s absolutely worth it as long as you are not missing out on hunting more because you are spending tag or gas money on a top of the line pack. Sometimes suffering a little just to get out more is worth it for the experience.

Before dropping the money, try on different packs with weight in them. They are a lot like boots, just because someone says they love brand “A “ doesn’t mean you won’t love brand “B” better.

Neuro

FNG
Im new to hunting but have researched extensively, and there seems to almost no way around spending a good amount of money as far as a high quality, do-it-all backpack in the current market.
I have gone out with my basic pack on a scouting trip, and while it did ok hiking and camping, the lack of external shelf would mean having to buy a typical large oversized internal frame hiking pack or rigging up some ropes or carrying meat on my shoulders.
The usual suspects seem to be the only ones who can guarantee a comfortable, high-quality, high-load bearing, sleek option that can be used both on a multi-day hunting trip or cinched down to use on a local day hike. At least thats my goldilocks target for something im thinking about spending a lot of money on.

Having said that, I do think a large part of the price is down to this being a niche market and an unspoken agreement between sellers on what an external frame backpack should cost. Since reading some threads here from certain new entrants, its become evident just how cheap production can be, although quality is to be confirmed.

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
We knocked down a couple elk this past fall and my kids use my old Kuiu packs. My daughter carried 72 lbs of meat in the Kuiu 3200 Icon Pro and a rear qtr in her Kuiu 1850 Pro pack. She went two and half miles and came back for another load. All I did was breakdown elk for 2 hours. Kids did everything with their packs.
i dont know wether to be jealous or insulted. I think your kids can pack out more than me at this point lol. Congrats and way to show them what its all about!