Is a $600 backpack worth it??

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
i dont know wether to be jealous or insulted. I think your kids can pack out more than me at this point lol. Congrats and way to show them what its all about!
We've been hunting public land since they were 12. They are tough little buggers. We started with Badlands and Eberlestock packs. Thin aluminum so called internal frames. We quickly learned these packs were good up to about 30 lbs. Then I bought the Kuiu packs. Huge improvement. Pockets and layouts were great for hunting. These were the cats meow until we started going in the high country for a week. We picked up one Kifaru and one EXO. The EXO squeaked like crazy in the gritty desert sand so I gave it to my friend for some reloading components. Ended up being a great deal for me. The Kifaru can haul 100 lbs. But as the guy said before me, can you carry it. I'm 49 now and don't like to carry over 80 lbs if I can help it. If you have buddies or family and spread the loads out to say 50 lbs a piece then you really don't need a $800 pack. Buy a solid $400 pack and put the rest towards darn tough socks, boots and or stepping up in good Binos. You're only packing meat 25% of the time but your walking, glassing and in good clothing 100% every trip so that's where I focus my money.

CoStick

WKR
If you get an elk it might be worth it. I use a SO, but have used a kuiu and osprey as well. I do numerous backcountry trips a year so the SO packs is great.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
Don't forget to check out Horn Hunter, Black Creek packs and the new one which I think has a review on this forum is the Akek.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Pack, footwear, and a positive attitude are the three most important items you need if you're headed west. I'm not promoting one brand over another but I run a Kifaru Hoodlum and it's been nothing short of amazing for me. Can't say the same for my hunting partner last season who was using a Mystery Ranch pack which didn't fit him properly being between sizes. Belt rode too low on his hips and make it difficult for him to hike uphill with 70+ pounds in it. All packs manufactured today feel great with no weight to 40 pounds. But once you get into multi day long backpack hunts or heavy load outs certain brands run away with it. Break the bank and buy the best pack you can afford, a quality pack will last you a long time unless you are working as a guide/packer.

I paid like $250 for a used KUIU and have had no issues. My son has a MR Terraframe that has a load shelf and we paid like $200 for it. Hauled Elk, Bear and Deer with no issue

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
Ended up being able to try out a few packs in the last few days. I decided to go with the Stone Glacier Talus 6900. Its more pack than i need but if i ever decide i want to go on a longer hunt or pack a few extra goodies i know i will have the space to do it. Thank you everyone for the responses and helpful thoughts

As a weird but maybe useful side note, the Kifaru pack/frame is LESS comfortable with just my day gear than any of the others but that system shines when you start to load it.

Your mileage may vary and different systems will fit different body types and shapes better
That’s not weird to me, I’m the same… the 2 packs I have kept around are exo and kifaru, and the exo is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever used in day hunting mode… it’s also really good with a heavy load… the kifaru is a little better for me with a lot of weight, and I personally value that… it’s plenty comfortable regardless but shines as the weight increases

I often wear a 35ish lb pack day hunting, and after a lot of days of lots of miles, there is never a strained feeling muscle in my shoulder/neck, or any discomfort anywhere… packing more stuff than I need has no consequences… that’s why it normally goes

I think exo does an amazing job at riding the lightweight/durable/comfortable/capability line… they do a lot really well… I still wear the kifaru most of the time though, because it’s the best at really heavy loads on my back… mix that with my irrational optimism, thinking I will be coming out heavy every day I hunt, I usually wear it

Ended up being able to try out a few packs in the last few days. I decided to go with the Stone Glacier Talus 6900. Its more pack than i need but if i ever decide i want to go on a longer hunt or pack a few extra goodies i know i will have the space to do it. Thank you everyone for the responses and helpful thoughts
Hard to go wrong there, I assume you will be stoked with that pack

My suggestion would be to join Kifaru Insiders on Facebook and get a pack in your price range. I have used Badlands, Exo, MR, and a couple other cheapos. Kifaru is just better all around. I now own the Reckoning, Hoodlum, 44 Mag, Stryker XL, and just ordered the Hellbender all with their own frames. They each have their own use and I like to be able to just grab and go. I have seen deals where you can get what I believe is the absolute best pack made for less than that $600 budget.

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
Great choice!! You will not regret SG.

I used to run an Eberlestock and would laugh at all the folks that spent the big money on the top packs. I loved my pack when it was empty and I carried out multiple deer and then I carried and elk….almost died. It was way too heavy to carry properly and was dragging me backward no matter how many times I tried to adjust the pack. Tried it the next season after changing up my hip belt and shoulder straps. The pack was like 10lbs empty and all my changes never helped carrying heavy elk loads the next season so I spent the ‘big’ bucks for a top end pack. Oh my goodness, what a difference. In ignorance I thought it didn’t matter until I used my new pack to carry out an elk and moose. You cannot compare the difference as it truly is unbelievable how well these packs work with heavy loads. I doubt you would notice much of a difference carrying an empty pack but when the animal goes down things change. Buy once, cry once is what I read here many years ago. It is so true and you won’t cry with back, hip and shoulder pain.

j_2112

FNG
I agree with a lot of these posts that over time, you're going to appreciate having a good pack that keeps feeling better. You can always do a quick ROI calculation if you take your average outings over the past year, then divide that by the number of years you want to keep the bag. - I don't run a pack much so it wouldn't make sense for me at, but also messing up your back/shoulders/hips can ruin a hunt easily.

tracker12

WKR
I'm past my backcountry backpack hunting days. So I can get away with a quality day pack. I have a Mollie II pack frame I have configured into a meat hauler that fits me perfect and is easy to pack #60 which I set as my limit. I tried to talk myself into a Kafaru and even purchased one that I quickly returned after I found out it didn't feel any better than what I had.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had most of the top tier packs and settled on Kifaru, they carry heavy loads well. I like the SO & Stone Glacier frame systems, they both carry loads well. They are both too minimalist for me, essentially nothing but a bag. Kifaru also has sleek light weight pack options that are essentially just a bag. I like easy access to all my gear without having to unload everything if a item I need is near the bottom. I can’t speak on the EXO as I haven’t tried their pack. I don’t consider Kuiu or Mystery Ranch civilian packs top tier packs. I live within five miles of both Mystery Ranch and Stone Glaciers flagship stores, really wish I was satisfied with their products.

Packed this one out 1 1/4 miles using a Kuiu (my hunting partner took 4 loads, I hauled 7. The pack flexed to much and had to be repaired/sewn in five place after the trip.
4DE9D661-D82A-4EA0-974D-C6F34F41C10E.jpeg

I packed this one out 1 1/4 miles, including all my gear, solo last fall using a Kifaru. Alternated carrying loads with two bags (130-140#’s) of meat one trip, then one bag of meat (70-75) the next trip. The 44 Mag was in the same condition as before the trip (like new) once the blood was washed out.

404862CC-2762-4E34-AF58-5F43EE254BE9.jpeg

Without question, in actual backcountry conditions, I take the Kifaru.

I have been running KUIU for many years. Decided to try out Kifaru, waiting patiently for order to ship about August to September. They are worth the price in my opinion.

I've owned a badlands, mystery ranch, stone glacier, and a kifaru. The badlands ($250) and the mystery ranch ($450) don't come close to comfort level as the stone glacier and kifaru. It is a lot personal preference. For me the stone glacier had a shorter belt and didn't ride on my hips as comfortable as my kifaru. I don't think I'll ever sell my kifaru. Super super comfortable and very high quality. I'd definitely encourage you to spend $600-$700 on a good backpack if you're going more than once or twice. Your body with thank you the older you get :)