Is it too late to think about changing careers and becoming a Game Warden or Deputy Sherriff at 54 years old?

What state are you in?

I am in Pa. When I was in the police academy there was a gent in there at 55 who was the oldest in the class. He was a retired mill worker who took the Civil service test to become a department of conservation and natural resources (DCNR) officer. He worked that job for approximately 10 years. Your state may have something similar where your primary jurisdiction is in the state parks and forests. That too could be an option. More than likely alot less stress that becoming a sheriff or game warden while being in the wild most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
d939403c1e51ef7105d8ac6a74769b74.jpg

N2TRKYS

WKR
Your father in law gave you the best advice years ago and you did right by taking it. Sounds like you’ve had a great career and made way more money than you would have in the other profession.

My advice is keep doing what you’re doing. Sometimes things sound better in our minds than they could ever play out in reality.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Being a deputy is a young man's game. However, if you don't mind tough work hours, nasty diseased clients, driving fast, working in hot/cold weather, a terrible diet, dark humor, sarcasm, an early death, doing cpr, the smell of death, solving other people's problems in 10 minutes that took 25 years to create, being a marriage counselor, making fun of firemen, being Monday morning quarterbacked, getting sued, terrible plea deals, and having a camera recording you all the time then I say give it a go.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Don't do it. Worked this industry for awhile. Hard to get in, age restrictions, low pay, bad hours. It is far less glamorous than in seems. And as others have said, it is a young man's game. Go toe to toe with some strapping 20 year old and see what happens. In the infamous words of Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
You generally can't just waltz into being a Western state CO.

IDFG wants officers to have degrees in wildlife biology or criminal justice. A lot of the officers have degrees in both. A few even have Master's degrees.

There's a preference for hiring younger officers because this state is damn near vertical and not too easy to get around. 55 is the planned retirement age for conservation officers in Idaho.

I've had a couple of friends apply that I thought were very qualified. One guy had been 18x in the military before going into LE before going back to school and getting a Master's degree on a project studying big game. He didn't get past the first stage of interviews. He was in his late thirties at the time and I'm not sure what role that played in it.

Your best bet to spend a few of your golden years as some sort of wildlife cop is probably being a park ranger. Federal jobs have a big silly hiring algorithm and it's possible to occasionally slip through the cracks. Being a national park ranger is my personal idea of hell and it would only be seasonal work but power to you. Personally I would just retire and hunt elk.

Fullfan

WKR
No way, I spent 25 years as a State Trooper. Now at 55 there is no way in hell I would wanna be out there rolling around with a 25 year old drunk, meth head ect. Because as a new guy that is right where you would be..

I am 40 with 13 years in LE currently. I work in a small apartment. I will be on the road until I retire. You would be absolutely crazy to give up your current career start out in law-enforcement at the bottom rung at 54. Your pay is going to suck, you’ll be working evenings, nights, good portion of holidays. A lot of sheriffs departments make you start in the jail. You’ll probably spend at least 1 to 2 years there before you get moved out on the road. There again you’re going to be competing against guys that are 25ish who are just starting out trying to get out on the road. And there’s a very good possibility you’ll never make it out of jail.
It sounds like you put in your time in your current career field. Retire and enjoy it.

87TT

WKR
Just listen to the ones with the real experience. Ignore anyone who hasn't been there.

Wrench

WKR
My plan was to become a wildlife biologist, but I was a good welder at 18 and one of my dad's friends corrupted me into hanging steel with him for the summer. Wildlife bios made about $15 an hour, I was pulling down over $30. My life never went as planned. I've quit more great jobs than most will ever have a chance to land in hopes of finding what makes me happiest. In my most recent adventure I took a $30k pay cut but ended up with nearly endless vacation hours and I am loving it.

Do what makes you happy, but be sure you are filling the right holes. Civil service is not terribly stable now and the fact that LE can be prosecuted for some of what is going on is alarming. If you've EVER used a racial slur AND have any type of confrontation that ends up in court.....you're going to be very uncomfortable......and by age 54, I would hedge a bet that there's some of that in your past....fair warning.

In the end, you'll leverage what you want, need and will do to make yourself happy. Good luck with the decision.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I would say yes your to old and I’m not in the profession. Also you are only 5-7 years away from retirement, why would you walk away from that and if you wait you’ll then be in your 60’s. If you want to give back to your community there are many other ways to do that without leaving your current job. Focus on getting to retirement, it’s not far away, then you can focus on something new after. Retirement doesn’t have to be where you just sit around and I bet your wife would appreciate it more to have you make it to retirement vs starting a new career path that will not allow you to retire for many more years.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the other replies.
And I know it not all about the money.
But have you actually looked at the pay?

I despise my job and company but when I looked in working for the state as a warden or bio that goes out and tags animal's etc.
Can't remember what exactly it was.
The pay was absolutely terrible. Can't believe they make people go to school and pay them that terribly.
In the west what they were offering was poverty.
No way you could afford a home without renting a room or 2 out full time.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the input guys! Many of you have made me laugh with your stories about the job. I know it's really not funny, but I can/do have a dark sense of humor.

For all that did or are doing the job, thank you very much! The guys doing the job well are truly my hero's! I'll probably just keep pushing forward in my current role for a few more years. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through my son. He started at a County Detention Center in Montana a year ago and is doing a ride along tonight with a Deputy. I have no doubt he'll eventually be a Deputy. Super proud of him. I'll be out there in 3 weeks to elk hunt with him. Can't wait!

blkntancj

FNG
I'm in Law Enforcement, i just picked up Lt with a Sheriff's Dept of about 325 sworn personnel. I'm just about to hit 50 and i hope to be retired at 52. Not saying it cant be done, but street level cop work is a young man's game.

Laramie

WKR
Not everyone in their 50s is created equally. You know yourself and your capabilities. If it is truly the right choice for you, our opinions are the last thing you need.

netman

WKR
I retired from the Sheriffs Office with nearly 30 years as a Deputy/Detective at 53 yoa. Best job in the world! I got to where I couldn’t see as well at night. I was still physically fit up until I had a heart attack racing bicycles. I will tell you that it’s a young mans game. All the older guys have gravitated to court house security and creating a log jam there instead of retiring.
If you want to get a taste apply to be a reserve Deputy. You don’t get paid but our department puts you through the training for free. You can do as much or as little as you want. I’ve had many reserves riding with me over the years. They got plenty of war stories to tell too.

netman

WKR
I'm in Law Enforcement, i just picked up Lt with a Sheriff's Dept of about 325 sworn personnel. I'm just about to hit 50 and i hope to be retired at 52. Not saying it cant be done, but street level cop work is a young man's game.
Damn right!