Its happening again in California

The Humboldt-Toiyabe Nation Forest's website shows that the CA portions of the district are closed until 9/6/21 or until rescinded under order #04-17-21-11.

Not all. Carson ranger district, yes. Because there was/is an actual fire going on there. I don't see anything that pertains to the Bridgeport ranger district regarding a closure. FYI, there are sometimes multiple Ranger Districts per Forest. Toiyabe NF is in fact open in Bridgeport Ranger District.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
I understand that firefighters are overwhelmed. But I am not under the chain of command of any government officials, and unless you work for them neither are you.
I don’t see how the lack of resources has anything to do with my choices. I would still be going into the forest if the resources did not even exist. In actuality the more infrastructure the more we are restricted, kind of ironic. The idea that everyone should be a phone call away from help is an entitled illusion, and a totally new concept. I don’t subscribe to the new mindset and therefore I will not live by it.
An outlaw by default.

Warmsy

WKR
To anyone effected by this. We need to let the Forest Service and CDFW know how this is impacting us. At the very least it will get us on their radar. If you have time use the form below to contact Region 5 office. Probably in our best interest to keep it civil if possible. I know I put a ton of time in and I want to make sure they know it’s impacting us too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/contactus/r5/about-region/contactus
Just did. Thanks for the link.

MattB

WKR
Not all. Carson ranger district, yes. Because there was/is an actual fire going on there. I don't see anything that pertains to the Bridgeport ranger district regarding a closure. FYI, there are sometimes multiple Ranger Districts per Forest. Toiyabe NF is in fact open in Bridgeport Ranger District.
I stand corrected. I found another reference that indicates that all national forests in the Pacific Southwest region are closed (rather than all in CA) and that the Humbolt -Toiyabe is in a different region so not affected by the closure. It would be nice if they specifically names all the affected forests for the elimination of doubt.

Swayze

FNG
Also of note to anyone on this thread - the Wildlife Resources Committee is discussing tag returns and refunds on 9/16. Here is the agenda:

If you can, we should show up. I would prefer they move the seasons later in the year than allowing refunds - but restoring preference points for folks that got a premium tag is something we should get behind.

You can join the meeting with these instructions:

Meeting materials will be available here: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=193737&inline

It genuinely pisses me off that any of this is even an issue. The last thing we need is hunters turning tags back in further adding to point creep that has already been on the rise as it is. I get it, nobody wants to blow thier points on a zone they can't fully hunt and take advantage of. To be clear, I wouldn't either. I guess I'm just frustrated and venting at this point...

Swayze

FNG
It genuinely pisses me off that any of this is even an issue. The last thing we need is hunters turning tags back in further adding to point creep that has already been on the rise as it is. I get it, nobody wants to blow thier points on a zone they can't fully hunt and take advantage of. To be clear, I wouldn't either. I guess I'm just frustrated and venting at this point…
It’s completely ****** - and that’s kind of my point. It’s like they are erasing a year or two of opportunity, in the name of your own safety. There is no good way to get this done. I really hope they figure out something, maybe a Pitman act for outdoor gear that is not for hunting? Use that to fund fuel clean up and better manage what’s left. This is a problem that was created over decades and it is going to be decades before it is fixed.

It’s completely ****** - and that’s kind of my point. It’s like they are erasing a year or two of opportunity, in the name of your own safety. There is no good way to get this done. I really hope they figure out something, maybe a Pitman act for outdoor gear that is not for hunting? Use that to fund fuel clean up and better manage what’s left. This is a problem that was created over decades and it is going to be decades before it is fixed.
Or keep American tax dollars in.... America! Not gender study programs in Pakistan.

Azone

WKR
Thank you for the laugh. I needed it.
Anything to help man.
Also of note to anyone on this thread - the Wildlife Resources Committee is discussing tag returns and refunds on 9/16. Here is the agenda:

If you can, we should show up. I would prefer they move the seasons later in the year than allowing refunds - but restoring preference points for folks that got a premium tag is something we should get behind.

Meeting materials will be available here: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=193737&inline
Item 5 (A)……hmmmmm. Looks like they know something is gonna get extended and become an annual safety precaution.
It genuinely pisses me off that any of this is even an issue. The last thing we need is hunters turning tags back in further adding to point creep that has already been on the rise as it is. I get it, nobody wants to blow thier points on a zone they can't fully hunt and take advantage of. To be clear, I wouldn't either. I guess I'm just frustrated and venting at this point...
It’s okay to vent Muley, it’s a shit deal all the way around. If this kinda overreacting becomes the new normal which lm guessing it will be, season structure should be addressed as a few others have mentioned already.

MattB

WKR

The problem with moving the hunt dates back is that it brings them into the rut and the success rates would pop and our herds would suffer. The unfortunate reality in CA is the dept wants to maximize opportunity and minimize harvest. Bumping the season dates back would result in a lot more take and our deer herds would suffer as a result.

Warmsy

WKR
The problem with moving the hunt dates back is that it brings them into the rut and the success rates would pop and our herds would suffer. The unfortunate reality in CA is the dept wants to maximize opportunity and minimize harvest. Bumping the season dates back would result in a lot more take and our deer herds would suffer as a result.
But then, in theory, less tags would be issued, improving the odds for those able to get a tag. I would love to hunt here in the rut. About 3 days after a season closes, a buck is in my archery range. Despite hours and days crawling through brush to come up empty handed!

Actually we are hunting during the rut in in the vast majority of rifle seasons, just not that stage of the rut you are referring to.

The DFW does not want to minimize harvest, they want to manage herd numbers at sustainable levels. We are currently at or near traditional population levels in the vast majority of Ca, but most cannot get past the artificial population boom brought on by land management practices of the past that we will never see again.

Swayze

FNG
Anything to help man.

Item 5 (A)……hmmmmm. Looks like they know something is gonna get extended and become an annual safety precaution.

It’s okay to vent Muley, it’s a shit deal all the way around. If this kinda overreacting becomes the new normal which lm guessing it will be, season structure should be addressed as a few others have mentioned already.
I thought the same thing about 5A. This agenda was put together months ago most likely. It is going to be an annual thing we have to deal with.

Honestly I'm not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I believe we should be careful about wanting to change or conform season dates or anything else due to unjust FS closures. It sounds like a slippery slope to me.

First of all the blanket closures are BS. Regional closures on a smaller scale due to legitimate fire danger is not unreasonable and most of us do and can understand that.

It is my opinion that if season dates change, the line of thinking will be that there will be no reason to not keep changing them till there will be none at all. After all the forest will be closed every fall due to fires anyway right? Furthermore we cannot hunt unsuspecting bucks statewide at such a vulnerable time during full rut. That would be unfair and unsporting. After all they are just trying to breed and propagate their species. All this and more as they wag their index finger at you. All you who live here in California know this certainly could be a reality.

I believe we should hold on to the already liberal and long seasons we have. They are great and offer plenty of opportunity. Fight the fight where it's needed, we shouldn't bend to the BS.

Last edited:
BTW, has anyone seen Tracy Stone-Manning in California lately?? Maybe she traded in her tree spikes for arson?🤣