Jocko Willink Origin Hunting Gear?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I'm not sure I follow your comment. More demand for wool would increase the demand for domestic farmers to raise in order to sheer. I do not think that sheep conservationists would be against increased numbers of sheep, unless I am misunderstanding.

Domestic sheep transfer disease to wild sheep
More demands for domestic wool means more risk for wild sheep.
I'm not sure I follow your comment. More demand for wool would increase the demand for domestic farmers to raise in order to sheer. I do not think that sheep conservationists would be against increased numbers of sheep, unless I am misunderstanding.

Domestic sheep carry disease that kill willdsheep. More demand for American wool will put wild North American sheep in jeopardy. This is one place I'm happy to import wool from a friendly country. All that said I hope Origin slays it. I'm all for competition and options. It's the American way. I remember a whole Lotta hate for Kuiu when they first launched.

Domestic sheep transfer disease to wild sheep
More demands for domestic wool means more risk for wild sheep.

Domestic sheep carry disease that kill willdsheep. More demand for American wool will put wild North American sheep in jeopardy. This is one place I'm happy to import wool from a friendly country. All that said I hope Origin slays it. I'm all for competition and options. It's the American way. I remember a whole Lotta hate for Kuiu when they first launched.
I learned something today!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I had never heard of Forloh until it was mentioned in response to the Origin camo. Possibly this will be great for both brands!
Gulch Gear is US made as well, even have a price transparency page that shows their cost to manufacture it. Some of their material is Toray fabric imported from Japan, rest of it is Berry Compliant US made Polartec material. Some of their pieces are 100% Berry Compliant, others are a mix of the two. Their owner is a member here on Rokslide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

btindall

FNG
Gulch Gear is US made as well, even have a price transparency page that shows their cost to manufacture it. Some of their material is Toray fabric imported from Japan, rest of it is Berry Compliant US made Polartec material. Some of their pieces are 100% Berry Compliant, others are a mix of the two. Their owner is a member here on Rokslide.

The fun part of manufacturing in the USA is the labeling requirements by our government. Some are easy to follow and others are hard to navigate/understand. If you make a jacket or pant and use a zipper from China then you still can have a 100% made in the USA label, but if you put one piece of trim on it with fabric from outside the USA them your label needs to read, "Made in the USA, with Import Fabric". If Berry Compliant, then you have to have all of it made here in the States, 99% will not cut it.
Our Berry Compliant fabric comes from Tweave and Polartec. Our import fabric comes from Toray, woven in Japan.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...y-through-labeling-requirements-under-textile

Last edited:

ZuluBravo

WKR
I’ve been issued the “top of the line” military gear for a decade or so and still find myself ordering gear from the top tier hunting companies (whether it be military or personal funds). There is a reason companies such as Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite export the majority of their clothing line. I’d love to see technical apparel on par with these companies or what I used to expect from Arcteryx brought to America. Unfortunately I see a lack in performance or a drastic increase in price with American made technical apparel. (Just look at the prices on Arcteryx LEAF and Sitka Arrowhead) Hope Origin proves me wrong!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve been issued the “top of the line” military gear for a decade or so and still find myself ordering gear from the top tier hunting companies (whether it be military or personal funds). There is a reason companies such as Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite export the majority of their clothing line. I’d love to see technical apparel on par with these companies or what I used to expect from Arcteryx brought to America. Unfortunately I see a lack in performance or a drastic increase in price with American made technical apparel. (Just look at the prices on Arcteryx LEAF and Sitka Arrowhead) Hope Origin proves me wrong!
Sitka Arrowhead is made in El Salvador. Forloh and Gulch aren't any more expensive than Sitka, Kuiu or FL. The owner of Gulch Gear just posted right above you. You can look on their site and see exactly what they pay to have their gear sewn in Oregon. The other companies are just padding their bottom line by producing overseas.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The fun part of manufacturing in the USA is the labeling requirements by our government. Some are easy to follow and others are hard to navigate/understand. If you make a jacket or pant and use a zipper from China then you still can have a 100% made in the USA label, but if you put one piece of trim on it with fabric from outside the USA them your label needs to read, "Made in the USA, with Import Fabric". If Berry Compliant, then you have to have all of it made here in the States, 99% will not cut it.
Our Berry Compliant fabric comes from Tweave and Polartec. Our import fabric comes from Toray, woven in Japan.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...y-through-labeling-requirements-under-textile
Any plans for a hooded insulated jacket made out of alpha direct like your interceptor vest? That would be the piece that Sitka doesn't know how to make, or refuses to make.

ZuluBravo

WKR
As someone who tests things for the military, this is not exactly blowing my mind.

Most military gear is chosen as the cheapest which meets a minimum requirement. To go outside that procurement system usually means breaking rules.

Sitka Arrowhead is made in El Salvador. Forloh and Gulch aren't any more expensive than Sitka, Kuiu or FL. The owner of Gulch Gear just posted right above you. You can look on their site and see exactly what they pay to have their gear sewn in Oregon. The other companies are just padding their bottom line by producing overseas.

I know where each item is made. From my experience the companies you listed are more expensive and/or provide a less technical piece of clothing for the price. This is especially true when you factor the respectable discount companies like First Lite and Kuiu provide to service members and first responders. Believe me I am all for a US clothing line I am only speaking to my experience with price/quality. Like I said I hope we are on the verge of necessary change in the outdoor apparel market!

Bump79

WKR
Any plans for a hooded insulated jacket made out of alpha direct like your interceptor vest? That would be the piece that Sitka doesn't know how to make, or refuses to make.

That would be perfect. Seconded

Goose1327

FNG
If they can make quality and decently priced clothing in the USA then bravo. Not only is it expensive to make clothing in the US but generally speaking, the quality does not compare to overseas. Although that seems counterintuitive, we just don't have a large work force that is trained in "cut and sew" products. Becoming an expert on a sewing machine takes 3-5 years (I know because that's what I do for a living). Its just easier to find workers with that level of expertise overseas. Hopefully the US can change that in the next 10 years.
Man you really gotta check out some of Origins products and look into their story. They’ve been bringing those art forms back to the US for a bit of time now. And as for pricing he, Pete, Cam, and the designer went on record on Instagram to lay out their ideas. Yes it’ll be pricy but you’re getting fabrics that haven’t been brought to market in any other facet. Only certain Mil agencies have utilized them.

Goose1327

FNG
As someone who tests things for the military, this is not exactly blowing my mind.

Most military gear is chosen as the cheapest which meets a minimum requirement. To go outside that procurement system usually means breaking rules.
When it comes to upper echelon units that are using these technological fabrics the military doesn’t really skimp. It’ll be interesting to see how they bring this stuff to market.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I saw it was mentioned on the discounts available for First Lite, Sitka, and Kuiu... But nobody mentioned Forloh doing the same, because they do also. All of these brands are going to work good if you use them for how they are intended to be used, plus a few other companies.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to upper echelon units that are using these technological fabrics the military doesn’t really skimp. It’ll be interesting to see how they bring this stuff to market.
They pick their own stuff, though. And they generally go with proven technologies, known for being effective and being durable. Not some exotic fabric sewn into never before seen uniforms.

Trial153

WKR

Wish they came in solid options. Even still I might place an order to check some out. If they were solids I would get a whole set up and give it a whirl.

Trial153

WKR
Soon as I hear mil spec and proprietary fabrics my bull shit meter goes into the red. The best Fabrics and technology are already being used by the best clothing manufacturers out there. It’s not a good start when they start by blowing smoke up peoples asses.

Goose1327

FNG
They pick their own stuff, though. And they generally go with proven technologies, known for being effective and being durable. Not some exotic fabric sewn into never before seen uniforms.
And all the stuff they pick is mandated to be manufactured in the USA. Same fabric that Origin is trying to bring to market. Just hasn’t hit the commercial space.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
And all the stuff they pick is mandated to be manufactured in the USA. Same fabric that Origin is trying to bring to market. Just hasn’t hit the commercial space.
I test stuff to mil specs as part of my job. We have lots of qualified manufacturers outside of the US. You're wrong.

ZuluBravo

WKR
This is only true for some purchases. Depending on the size of the purchase (generally under $10k) you can buy whatever fits the requirement. “Milspec” should hold no value when considering technical clothing IMHO