Knife Setup

What are you lightweight guys and gals using for knifes? I think everyone is packing a havalon these days. I don't personally like the havalon for everything, it gets caught too easy on bones when trimming the rib meat off the ribs or taking the backstraps.

I'd like to carry a knife as well without adding a bunch of weight. I love my Buck 110, Outdoor Edge Swingblade, and some others but they each weigh about half a pound.

Show me your setups! Thanks
Best $12 I've ever spent on a knife right here -

Weighs a few ounces. They used to use a nylon webbing sheath (what I have) and it's super light and the knife fits my hand great and holds an edge well. I can't speak to the new sheath, but I'm sure it's light too.

OP
frostlicker
Thanks for all the info! There are a lot of
Best $12 I've ever spent on a knife right here -

Weighs a few ounces. They used to use a nylon webbing sheath (what I have) and it's super light and the knife fits my hand great and holds an edge well. I can't speak to the new sheath, but I'm sure it's light too.
Hard not try it out for $12. I also found that Buck makes a Packlite model that is about $20. I think between the cold steel, victorinox, and the buck I have 3 cost effective 2oz options.

Thanks for all the info! There are a lot of

Hard not try it out for $12. I also found that Buck makes a Packlite model that is about $20. I think between the cold steel, victorinox, and the buck I have 3 cost effective 2oz options.
I tried that Buck, and it wouldn't hold an edge for me. I wanted to like it though.

That's good to know! I figure my 110 is bulletproof and assumed it would be the same.
Maybe I got a bad one. I dunno. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to sharpening knives, but I just never could get that Buck as sharp as many other knives I own. The Cold Steel sharpens easily and holds an edge as long as I need it to. I've done 2 deer with one sharpening before.

OP
frostlicker
Maybe I got a bad one. I dunno. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to sharpening knives, but I just never could get that Buck as sharp as many other knives I own. The Cold Steel sharpens easily and holds an edge as long as I need it to. I've done 2 deer with one sharpening before.
What do you use to sharpen in the field? In a perfect world, I'd have a knife that could bone out an elk without a need for sharpening.

Mrvrsick

FNG
This year I went out with my Havalon stag, listed at 1.7 oz? Second knife packed was the backup, an Opinel No. 5 listed at 0.56 oz. I didn't get to use it, but I'm confident that it would have been more than enough for out western blacktail.

OP
frostlicker
This year I went out with my Havalon stag, listed at 1.7 oz? Second knife packed was the backup, an Opinel No. 5 listed at 0.56 oz. I didn't get to use it, but I'm confident that it would have been more than enough for out western blacktail.
That was my setup this year! I had the no 7 which fit perfectly with my havalon in the case. The opinel was trash. Maybe it needs an immediate sharpening but it was pretty worthless on elk. It got dull immediately. I love the weight and feel but in the field it let me down.

Mrvrsick

FNG
That was my setup this year! I had the no 7 which fit perfectly with my havalon in the case. The opinel was trash. Maybe it needs an immediate sharpening but it was pretty worthless on elk. It got dull immediately. I love the weight and feel but in the field it let me down.
I gave my Opinel a sharpening immediately, as I didn't feel like it was sharp at all. I'm not very informed on steels for knives, and I know that a lot of people here will have better suggestions. I'm cheap, and I went with these two. Another option is to take a paring knife along as well. A lot of people have good luck with just the scalpel blades, but this was my first year and I didn't want to be caught out on too high of a learning curve.

OP
frostlicker
I gave my Opinel a sharpening immediately, as I didn't feel like it was sharp at all. I'm not very informed on steels for knives, and I know that a lot of people here will have better suggestions. I'm cheap, and I went with these two. Another option is to take a paring knife along as well. A lot of people have good luck with just the scalpel blades, but this was my first year and I didn't want to be caught out on too high of a learning curve.
It seemed sharp to me, so I didn't mess with it. Didn't get a deer this year when I only had the Havalon and Opinel. Found out when I got my elk that it likes to dull up quickly. Luckily I had more knifes since it wasn't a backpack in hunt. I will give it another shot at home before I run that setup again.

I use a Gerber folding knife with 3" blade and Gerber full tang for jamming between bone joints. I have been using these knives for around 10 years! They are both made in USA which some Gerbers are not. $10 sharpener (the yellow one with Coarse and Fine sides. ) Can't beat it for the $. Brother gave me the straight one. He said it was no good... I can't stand the idea of replaceable blade knives but it sells magazines and tv shows

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade Bugout for me as well. If I'm deer hunting I can get through an entire deer without needing to touch it up. If I'm elk hunting I bring a DMT mini sharp which really isn't a weight penalty since I would bring it anyway to touch up my traditional broadheads. 3.5 oz for the entire package and I don't have to fool with blade changing.

What do you use to sharpen in the field? In a perfect world, I'd have a knife that could bone out an elk without a need for sharpening.
Then you should get the Benchmade Bugout. I reprofiled mine to a shallower grind this summer. I boned out an entire bull elk this fall with it and it still rough shaved hair on my arm when I was done.
IMG_3120.jpg

Retterath

WKR
I run a tyto finisher ti replaceable blade and a fixed blade tyto and wont use anything else. love it. Plus the tyto finisher ti one fits in my bino harness with blades no problem

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyto with the longer Havalon blades (carry three blades) and a BM Altitude- the Altitude has magical steel evidently made by wood elves