Knife Setup

I also used to carry a Havalon. It was lightweight and did the job, but I wanted something more durable for popping ivories out and leg joints.

I used an Iron Will knife this year and it did a great job. It is light weight and held an edge long enough to break down an elk without resharpening. I couldn't get used to the thin grip of a skeleton knife so I wrapped the handle in paracord and it feels pretty good.

I tried that Buck, and it wouldn't hold an edge for me. I wanted to like it though.

I found that it held an edge pretty decent for the price. It's not as good as others, but works well big you stay off of bone. Also easy to just carry a lightweight swipe sharpener if you have it profiled for it.

I do prefer my bugout tho.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Kestrel mountain scalpel. Caped and boned out my mule on one single blade, very comfortable and I wear it around my neck. So light I don’t even know it’s there..

This season I used the Outdoor edge razor lite 3.5 and liked it much more than my havalon especially on elk. Touched up the blade on my sharpener after use and it cleaned up very well.

I carry the “free” outdoor edge one you get on occasion from eastmans and also a bark river 4” knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I went to the Iron Will K1 knife. It is LIGHT!!!

At home I love my outdoor edge swingblaze for the zipper function but the K1 knife did great on an elk and will continue to ride in my pack for hunts I think.

Rwillis87

FNG
I will be the first to admit I am over attached to expensive knives, but there are some reasonable options out there. I know someone mentioned boning an elk with a bench made dugout. That is pretty hardcore. However, their hunt series is a great option. Ultimately you will need to balance the steel with your sharpening ability. S110V will hold an edge for ages, but once it goes dull you are up a creek unless you packed your water stones. Something like S30V will give you great sharpness and edge retention, but if it goes dull you can put a sharp edge back on with a ceramic rod. It will be a micro bevel and not as sharp as the edge that was on it, but if you use it at a sensible angle you will still have a hair shaving edge. Check out a Benchmade Steep Country.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
What are you lightweight guys and gals using for knifes? I think everyone is packing a havalon these days. I don't personally like the havalon for everything, it gets caught too easy on bones when trimming the rib meat off the ribs or taking the backstraps.

I'd like to carry a knife as well without adding a bunch of weight. I love my Buck 110, Outdoor Edge Swingblade, and some others but they each weigh about half a pound.

Show me your setups! Thanks
I usually carry a kershaw leek everywhere. Dressed a buck with it in October. I actually prefer it to my buck 110 eliye s30v for field dressing. Weighs about 2 oz. It is sharp, the blade is perfectly shaped for precise work, it doesn't cut while skinning like a replaceable blade. I lost it on a duck hunt recently.

For a bigger knife, like for chopping and camp work, I just took the plastic handle pieces off a schrade old timer sharp finger knife. Cut the belt part off the sheath so it's just a blade cover. Now I have a full frame, tried and true hunting knife with leather sheath that weighs about 4 0z. I really really like this setup.

I simetimes also carry a multitool with archery bits, plyers, knife and saw. I'm just not sold on adding it to my kit because it is like 14 oz. with case. I would love to get lighter but this is the lightest plyers, allen, saw combo I know of that actually functions well. Would love some alternate suggestions.

Will eventually replace my leek for the pocket and keep an eye out for a kydex sheeth for the okd timer. The leather is as heavy as the knife.

Beendare

WKR
Oh man, I ran a buck 110 for 2 decades and must have done 200 animals with that thing when doing hog depredation. Its crap steel compared to whats out there now.

I didnt like the Havalon style for multiple reasons....3 to 6 blade changes for an elk...no thanks.

I like a fixed blade over a folder.

My current Benchmade Altitude checks a lot of boxes. I wasnt sure I would like the skeletonized handle but Ive come around to liking it.
Its not as good a feel in your hand....but its so easy to clean and bulletproof.

That S90 v steel is unbelievable. Im on my 3rd or 4th animal since summer and I. A fanatic about a sharp knife....its still super sharp no need for touch up.

The S90v is much better steel than my S30v blades or D2....a little better than Elmax, Maximet

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree on the SV90 steel- it’s really (really) good

I’d love to see something along the lines of the Altitude with about 3/4-1” longer blade, wouldn’t add much weight and would be handier for boning larger animals

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
im rocking benchmade altitude and havalon. I used alitude to skin and quarter 3 pigs without sharpending. Its an incredible knife

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I this year I ran a knives of Alaska featherlite hunter. Did my whole bear, bone out this spring. I also keep my Becker bk14 for a little heavier work in larger critters, weighs 5oz with the sheath. Havalons are good, but I hate the idea of a disposable knife. Both of these knives can do multiple animals on an edge but a 30 second strop is all is needed to bring them back to scary sharpness.

Mulga

FNG
I have just bought a couple of these. They weigh 70 grams without a sheath have a 10cm blade, 22cm overall with a 56HRC blade. What I like about them is they have a full size handle, I find I cramp up with small diameter or skeletonised handled blades.

Victory Knives drop point

V_3_303_10.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that should do the trick; funny they offer several of their knives in orange, but not this one- I'm sure I'm not the only who has lost a knife at a kill site :)

sektr

FNG
Second the Izula, I have the stainless version and love it. A bit tougher to sharpen up than 1095 but good edge retention and it’s a sturdy little thing.

Shraggs

WKR
2DDAD36B-17CF-4787-8BC3-691A099C4C16.jpeg

If you can find one of these spyderco bill moran’s pretty light at 3 oz and 4” blade.

6E28C093-62EC-400A-973D-9DE6C4901FBA.jpeg

a few bark rivers. Second from the left is a great skinner and bone out and caper at 3.25” blade and 2.5 oz. the drop point is 3.25” and 3.3 oz. last on right is great general use, for me boning out or fishing. 3.4” 2.8 oz.