Kuiu new $900 coat

I can't even support $500 for a camo hunting jacket or parka that will only get used very infrequently. I much prefer a Feathered Friends model saving me hundreds of dollars and NOT being camo.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
When id need a jacket that warm my hands and feet are the ones in trouble

Maybe the penguin super slam will be the next big thing and this will sell well

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Not really. 9.5oz of 800 down isn’t even close to 10oz of 850.

Don’t get me wrong $800 is outrageous but that being said the materials used are unmatched.
Yes, as a matter of fact the said materials are matched.
The fill quantity and power are in the same league.
The montbell permafrost has 9.5oz x 800 fill = 7,600 warmth. For $460
The kuiu burner has 10oz x 850 fill = 8,500 warmth for $800.
The feathered friends volant has 11oz x 900 fill = 9,900 warmth for $450.
All have a 30D shell wind/water (resistant/proof).

Its your money, spend it how you like. In comparison though, it can be beat, for 45% less money.

Jbehredt

WKR
So if Kuiu had to sell this through retailers the price would be $1200?
Asking for a friend about this direct to consumer discount.

I remember when first lite ditched their retailers. Dropped prices on a handful of items briefly to tout direct to consumer savings. It’s really just a way to increase margins and in a world of fast easy shipping and returns /exchanges it works.

Anyone who hunts real cold could appreciate it. I've wanted a Nunatak Kobuk for a while now, it's sort of the UL version of the same thing. Feathered Friends and Nunatak's box baffle jackets are around $600 plus options. For something with no lead time and a waterproof shell, this isn't so unreasonable.
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but they’re also made in America. I don’t mind paying a little more for something that’s made in the US and has a great warranty and customer service. If this jacket was made here, I’d feel the same way, but I’m sure it’s being made on the cheap (overseas), which does nothing to boost our economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kostrize

WKR
The 10 oz of fill claim made in the video is at best over aggressive marketing

Here are the full weight specs listed on their site:

M- 8.3 oz / 235 g
L- 8.8 oz / 250 g
XL- 9.3 oz / 265 g
XXL- 10 oz / 283 g
3XL- 10.7 oz / 304 g
4XL- 11.5 oz / 326 g

I’m sure that this a great parka but as others have pointed out, there are comparable options for far less. I generally am a fan of Kuiu stuff and this may be a hit, IDK. In the past they have exaggerated the low end temperature ranges of their clothing IMO. I have actually hunted in static conditions between -15 and -35. I feel like Kuiu wants you to be a certain level of active to meet their claims of taking this system to -40. It’s more like survival at that point

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one - love it! It's built like a tank, I'm really impressed at the build quality all around. Very similar in quality to the Gale Force stuff. I'm shocked at how compressible the jacket is and how lofty it is. The details really shine here: The length is perfect when you're sitting, the hood is deep and wraps around your face, the draw cords for the hood are well thought out and pull the hood it real nice, the cuff adj is oversized for use with gloves, draw cord around the waist, deep glove pocket on the inside, and the shell is not as loud as I expected. I will say that when you put this coat on it's instant HOT. I'm excited to have this in the pack during the late season.

Lots of folk on here are shocked at the price, however, this easily compares to the new ArcTeryx Alpha parka. It really is an awesome piece, especially if you don't like being cold. What's mentioned on this thread vs reality is drastically different - M/L/XL SOLD OUT in both solid colors, M/L SOLD OUT in all camo patterns. LOL Are their other companies that produce similar - maybe - but how much have they contributed to the hunting/conservation community. The entire "direct to consumer- cut out the middle man" model isn't part of KUIU's strategy any longer and hasn't been for years. They don't even mention this on their website anymore. That "middle man" turned into additional margin as the company grew rapidly. The KUIU brand isn't "new" or in jeopardy of going out of business, hence why they're able to increase pricing to manage demand. They are in business to earn money to continue to bring awesome gear to market. #CAPITALISM I wish manufacturing could happen here in the US but the quality and labor cost is unmatched when compared to overseas offerings. That's an American problem that the US created, not a KUIU problem.

Cheers!

Last edited:

PRC_GUY

WKR
Wife's parents got me a Canada Goose parka for Christmas last year after I moved up back north and needed a more proper winter jacket, and honestly they're great. Extremely warm, waterproof, very well built, and probably worth the money if you live up north.

That being said, outside of maybe the Kutana Gale Force, I wouldn't call Kuiu stuff exactly bomb proof, and I'd have a hard time shelling out the money for this one. Also, it's presumably not made in the US or Canada, so I have no idea how they can justify $800, unless they think there's a lot of guys that will pay it.
I have a Kutana Gale Force, it is worth the $&&& you spend “ buy once & cry once”

PRC_GUY

WKR
I bought one - love it! It's built like a tank, I'm really impressed at the build quality all around. Very similar in quality to the Gale Force stuff. I'm shocked at how compressible the jacket is and how lofty it is. The details really shine here: The length is perfect when you're sitting, the hood is deep and wraps around your face, the draw cords for the hood are well thought out and pull the hood it real nice, the cuff adj is oversized for use with gloves, draw cord around the waist, deep glove pocket on the inside, and the shell is not as loud as I expected. I will say that when you put this coat on it's instant HOT. I'm excited to have this in the pack during the late season.

Lots of folk on here are shocked at the price, however, this easily compares to the new ArcTeryx Alpha parka. It really is an awesome piece, especially if you don't like being cold. What's mentioned on this thread vs reality is drastically different - M/L/XL SOLD OUT in both solid colors, M/L SOLD OUT in all camo patterns. LOL Are their other companies that produce similar - maybe - but how much have they contributed to the hunting/conservation community. The entire "direct to consumer" model isn't part of KUIU's strategy any longer and hasn't been for years. They don't even mention this on their website anymore. The KUIU brand isn't "new" or in jeopardy of going out of business, hence why they're able to increase pricing to manage demand. They are in business to earn money to continue to bring awesome gear to market. #CAPITALISM I wish manufacturing could happen here in the US but the quality and labor cost is unmatched when compared to overseas offers. That's an American problem that the US created, not a KUIU problem.

Cheers!
Is it made in China? I would buy if it is made in China!

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
This jacket has a laminate if I recall correctly plus the down fill. It’s as if the Kutana rain gear was joined to the superdown pro Jacket. So a comparison to another brands straight down jackets is apples and oranges. If I’m correct about the laminate anyway.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This jacket has a laminate if I recall correctly plus the down fill. It’s as if the Kutana rain gear was joined to the superdown pro Jacket. So a comparison to another brands straight down jackets is apples and oranges. If I’m correct about the laminate anyway.
A get you warm fast dedicated coat should never be combined with dedicated rain gear. If this is the route they took it’s even less appealing.