KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

As much as I’d like to try out an SG Chilkoot bag, the 60” shoulder measurement wouldn’t work well for me. The WM Versalite at 62” is possible or WM Badger at 65” and only 3 ozs heavier than the SG likely will be my choice. And KUIU doesn’t even know when their 15 degree bag will be ordered or back in stock so that ones out for me too.

I used a WM Summerlight 32 degree last year and definitely longed for something warmer!!

Appreciate all the reviews Robby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was concerned with the shoulder width also because the standard 62" is too narrow for me. I prefer 64"+ to be comfortable and not restricted. The SG may not be quite 64" but i'm positive its a long ways over 62". I didn't actually think SG measured the bag this way I thought it was a flat measurement. Anyway with the differential cut and inside being smaller than the outside I can lightly push against the inside and it's not compressing the down or creating a cold spot. I tried one out in a local bow shop because I was concerened with size after seeing the specs. It's plenty big, but wouldn't quite compare with the shoulder roominess of 65" bags.

Man not gonna lie I am a little shocked at the warmth results. the WM has more down in the bag and the face fabric is thicker on the WM as well, which should hold heat better and keep wind out better.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man not gonna lie I am a little shocked at the warmth results. the WM has more down in the bag and the face fabric is thicker on the WM as well, which should hold heat better and keep wind out better.
It also has more internal volume that you have to keep heated. This just proves that everyone is different because Robby is admittedly a cold sleeper. I would have a heat stroke if I wore as many clothes to bed as he does lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It also has more internal volume that you have to keep heated. This just proves that everyone is different because Robby is admittedly a cold sleeper. I would have a heat stroke if I wore as many clothes to bed as he does lol.

Yes I agree; however, if the size long superdown bag was used it would almost be same comparison as the Stone Glacier Chilkoot. Definitely a more apples to apples comparison.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What smaller pillow did you go with?
Hi. It was a no name down pillow. I’ve used it for 10 years as my main hunting pillow. I like it because it’s about half the size of a regular pillow and I can pack it down small. Remember, I use horses so I can go with a little bit bigger stuff than most people.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, now that I started doing these test this way and talking to other people, I think I’m a very cold sleeper.

I can't wait to see the remaining testing especially the re-test of the SG Chilkoot. I will say this has me looking at the KUIU superdown bags. that 30 degree bag would be money for early season at only 1lb-7.5oz.

Vargasm

FNG
Thanks for the continuing review Robby, I'm in the market for one of these three bags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I can't wait to see the remaining testing especially the re-test of the SG Chilkoot. I will say this has me looking at the KUIU superdown bags. that 30 degree bag would be money for early season at only 1lb-7.5oz.
Hi
I hope it happens. Weather man upped temps over 19 degrees over night as far out 3/17. Needs something around 16 to finish this test.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow night’s forecast is getting close but I still need a few less degrees
1b3e32e2a306f53c002b9e5d275dde6b.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked forecast for tonight. 18. Not cold enough.

kipper09

WKR
Robby how do you feel the badger and chilkoot compare as far as room and comfort? I think the quality is pretty close?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby how do you feel the badger and chilkoot compare as far as room and comfort? I think the quality is pretty close?

Badger has more room, so if you're a little claustrophobic, that might equate to more comfort. But if not, I'd say for my size, both were fine in that area.

Quality? they both are well made bags so hard to say, but if quality is related to durability...

I ran my Chilkoot something like 30 nights last year, and looks new. I ran the Badger a few nights last year and I believe 2-3 in this test, so no way to say how that few of nights compare to the Chilkoot, but Badger seems like it's a great bag.

How's that for not answering your question?

I'll be doing some more testing, (soak, packability) but it looks like the cold temps close to rating are gone for 2020.

I really think the Chilkoot exceeded the rating last year because I was on a foam pad, but I'll never know until I can get some 15 degree temps back and run it on the Exped.

kipper09

WKR
Good info. I have the chilkoot. Replaced an alpinlite which I liked a lot. Just thought I would get some input about the badger as it’s the other bag I was considering taking a peak at. Appreciate the testing and feedback!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good read on bags. I really like both my WM bags and my sleep has been better since getting some of the wider cut models, even though I’m a small guy.

I think where these bags are made is worth while to mention. While I know it does not matter to some,Im happy my bags carry the little label on the foot box

View attachment 161687