KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think you just made my mind up for me, Robby. Is this a standard WM Badger, or one with the overfill? I guess that’s my next decision.

It’s just the standard Badger MF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If it is the one Seek Outside sent Ryan it is just a standard badger

@Kevin_t , same one just a standard Badger MF.

Have you spent any time in the GWS bags? I keep hearing people get clammy in them. That has not been the case for me.

This would also be a good time to point out Seek Outside can get you any Western Mountaineering sleeping bag you want.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did just go back out in the tent and checked both bags, 24 hours later they’re both dry to the touch. And that’s without anybody sleeping in them to generate body heat.

I do need to give a shout out to the Stone Glacier Skyscraper. It’s been set up back there since February 2. Probably 2 inches of water has fallen on it, and not a leak

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Kevin_t , same one just a standard Badger MF.

Have you spent any time in the GWS bags? I keep hearing people get clammy in them. That has not been the case for me.

This would also be a good time to point out Seek Outside can get you any Western Mountaineering sleeping bag you want.

I do not have a WM GWS but I do have a custom made GWS bag . It was the custom bag we offered for a bit about 5 years ago. I don’t find that bag clammy , but it’s not really apples to apples . Different liner fabrics , different down fill , and in fact the GWS may very well be different as well over the years

Rayspump

FNG
I have a Kuiu 15 bag and I always sleep in a merino t-shirt and merino bottoms when it's getting in the teens. For the first while I always start sweating in the middle of the night then that would cause me to get cold.

So I started sleeping with my bag as basically like a quilt. Unzipped and just layed over the top of me. That has been the best thing I've ever done. Been on hunts with it down into single digits and stayed warmer that way then I ever did when I had I zipped up. Has anyone else tried this method?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do open like a quilt more often than zipped . I have not done it much in the 20”s usually then I start zipping it up .

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Kuiu 15 bag and I always sleep in a merino t-shirt and merino bottoms when it's getting in the teens. For the first while I always start sweating in the middle of the night then that would cause me to get cold.

So I started sleeping with my bag as basically like a quilt. Unzipped and just layed over the top of me. That has been the best thing I've ever done. Been on hunts with it down into single digits and stayed warmer that way then I ever did when I had I zipped up. Has anyone else tried this method?

I have in the earlier fall. But I’m such a cold sleeper, that would never fly for me in the teens.

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm = 48"

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm = 79"

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s) = 40 FEET of head pressure, incredible

Last edited:
Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)

Yup based on my prior experience with WM Alpinelite I think I will go that route again. 1200MM is quit good considering how thin the fabric is (12d). I will lose some breathability not using Microfiber; however, I never really thougtht it was an issue as I ran that bag for 4 years. from June - end of October.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Been following this thread closely and just looking for sizing information on the two lines of bags. Although I am figuring on going with a 0* degree bag for my needs (very cold sleeper), I have been trying to figure out which line of bag to go with, Kuiu or WM. Size/girth concerns me since I’ve never slept in a mummy bag before. It appears the WM line may have the nod in this area unless I go with the long version of the Kuiu. Would there be a significant downside to going with the Kuiu long to gain the extra 2 inches in shoulder and hip measurements other than the extra 3 oz. I am not really in need of the length but just a little concerned about claustrophobic issues; I’ve only ever slept in full rectangular bags in the past. I am 5’10” and 200 Lbs. Birthday is coming up and thinking of using Kuiu BDay discount on a bag

sneaky

"DADDY"
1lb14.7oz for the Kuiu 15 degree bag that isn't available right now, 2lb 6oz for the Badger. Both of those weights are for the 6' bags

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Been following this thread closely and just looking for sizing information on the two lines of bags. Although I am figuring on going with a 0* degree bag for my needs (very cold sleeper), I have been trying to figure out which line of bag to go with, Kuiu or WM. Size/girth concerns me since I’ve never slept in a mummy bag before. It appears the WM line may have the nod in this area unless I go with the long version of the Kuiu. Would there be a significant downside to going with the Kuiu long to gain the extra 2 inches in shoulder and hip measurements other than the extra 3 oz. I am not really in need of the length but just a little concerned about claustrophobic issues; I’ve only ever slept in full rectangular bags in the past. I am 5’10” and 200 Lbs. Birthday is coming up and thinking of using Kuiu BDay discount on a bag
I’m 5 foot nine 180, and I believe the regular sized KUIU fits me just right. So you might be fine going with that extra 2 inches.

hankharp

FNG
Just a heads up, I got in touch with Kuiu customer service and they said they “do not have plans to restock the Super Down Sleeping Bag 15 degree at this time.”

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5 foot nine 180, and I believe the regular sized KUIU fits me just right. So you might be fine going with that extra 2 inches.
Ordered the 0* bag in long with my 20% birthday discount (and $50 coupon) today. Thanks for the review......it was very helpful in my decision

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered the 0* bag in long with my 20% birthday discount (and $50 coupon) today. Thanks for the review......it was very helpful in my decision
Sure thing. Let me know what you think when you get it. The 0° is going to be the bomb!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up, I got in touch with Kuiu customer service and they said they “do not have plans to restock the Super Down Sleeping Bag 15 degree at this time.”
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed as I’m working on the review that it’s not been listed on their website for a couple of weeks.