Latest on corner crossing

fmyth

WKR
That's to decide down the road.

One thing that happened in the criminal case is that all 4 hunters filed paperwork through their attorneys to have Carbon County DA's office pay for their travel expenses getting to the trial and back. So their mileage, hotels, etc. were reimbursed. Apparently there is Wyoming law that allows for that (no not attorney fees though, dang it!)

While on a zoom meeting with them, the Missouri4 let us know they would be putting that money back into the gofundme account.
I hope they upgraded to first class for the flight home.

fmyth

WKR
I’m not sure how Wyoming works, but in Idaho, it is illegal to use aircraft for transporting anything unless it’s at an established airstrip. I know this is a Wyoming discussion but I just thought I’d throw that out.
Anywhere in ID or just in designated Wilderness Areas?

z987k

WKR
I’m not sure how Wyoming works, but in Idaho, it is illegal to use aircraft for transporting anything unless it’s at an established airstrip. I know this is a Wyoming discussion but I just thought I’d throw that out.
Curious what an established airstrip means. Because my idea, as someone who uses a lot of "airstrips" might be different from others.
Established to me means I've been there before, or someone else has with their plane.

I'm going to go "establish" an airstrip next month for my hunt in September in an area I've never hunted before.

Curious what an established airstrip means. Because my idea, as someone who uses a lot of "airstrips" might be different from others.
Established to me means I've been there before, or someone else has with their plane.

I'm going to go "establish" an airstrip next month for my hunt in September in an area I've never hunted before.
Good question. There is no reference in the game regulations to check against. ITD is responsible for most of the backcountry airstrips, I don’t know if they have a definition or not.

z987k

WKR
Good question. There is no reference in the game regulations to check against. ITD is responsible for most of the backcountry airstrips, I don’t know if they have a definition or not.
I've never seen an airstrip defined as something the government maintains.
Honestly if it is maintained it's not even worth going to. Airstrips are maintained by the tires that land on them.

I believe the law about 'established airstrips' is specific to using helicopters to transport hunters and game. Which is unfortunate...because it limits access to some great landlocked ground for hunting. I really worked an angle on this several years ago...had permission to land a helicopter on BLM land that was landlocked...but this rule prevented legal access for hunting.

grfox92

WKR
Did anyone listen to the WY corner crossing defendants on the MeatEater podcast?

I didn't follow the case very closely, but the most shocking thing to me was that they were told 3 or 4 times by both the game warden and local sheriff, over the course of 2 or 3 years that they were doing nothing wrong and to go enjoy their hunt.

Hard to believe this ever went to court based on that alone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
As soon as a precedent is set, I think we will see a lot of these checkerboarded landowners wanting to do land trades. I.E. Trade these 40 tracks of private for the 40-45 these tracks of public that will create a contiguous ranch for themselves and a contiguous tract of public land. Just so they don't have to deal with this. For the most part the government should look to approve all of these equitably. Make it a fair deal and improve access by creating contiguous public lands where possible. Then you don't have to worry about finding corners.

wapitibob

WKR
Did anyone listen to the WY corner crossing defendants on the MeatEater podcast?

I didn't follow the case very closely, but the most shocking thing to me was that they were told 3 or 4 times by both the game warden and local sheriff, over the course of 2 or 3 years that they were doing nothing wrong and to go enjoy their hunt.

Hard to believe this ever went to court based on that alone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It went to court because the lo called the DA 20 times and she finally asked the sheriff to cite. If the lo had only called a cpl, we wouldn’t be discussing this.

It went to court because the lo called the DA 20 times and she finally asked the sheriff to cite. If the lo had only called a cpl, we wouldn’t be discussing this.

And there is no telling how much he contributed to her campaign.

Also, why wouldn’t the defendants lawyer just simply say to the DA….”show me the Law these fellas broke?”

How can someone be cited for a law that doesn’t exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
The judge showed the jury the law they “supposedly” broke.

“Stipe’s potential airspace jury instruction would be based on a Wyoming law that states “[t]he ownership of the space above the lands and waters of this state is declared to be vested in the several owners of the surface beneath subject to the right of flight.””

I think “several owners” would lead me to believe the public has ownership of that airspace as well, thru the BLM.

Last edited:

CJ19

WKR
And there is no telling how much he contributed to her campaign.

Also, why wouldn’t the defendants lawyer just simply say to the DA….”show me the Law these fellas broke?”

How can someone be cited for a law that doesn’t exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except there is telling with campaign donations since they require disclosure. They should be easy to find.

Last edited:

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
This is an interesting case. I think the land owner would have been well advised to shut up and not make a big deal about it. The premis of his argument is that he owns the air space above the corner, which is the exact same argument for the public, that "we" own that space too. I don't think there was any intention to land lock any of the parcels.

HookUp

WKR
Does this open the door to corner crossing in Wyoming? A buddy called a county about this issue and was told they would press charges for corner crossing. My question is for what? I really hope the corner crossers this year wear cameras and record everything when confronted by sheriff's, wardens and land owners. They will make absolute youtube and tik tok bangers.