Leupold VX-5 HD Tracking (Opinions on Huskemaw?)

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I had a vx6hd 4-24 that I bought for a new rifle and was shooting 2-3” groups. I stupidly blamed the rifle cause surely a $2k scope wouldn’t be bad out of the box. Sold the rifle and bought a Cooper and It shot the same way. Out of frustration I swapped the Leupold for an old Nikon monarch I had on a shelf and started shooting groups the rifle was capable of. Sent the scope back to Leupold and they basically replaced everything but the main body. I still haven’t put it back on the Cooper and in fact I’m debating sending it down the river for something else. This was my 3rd leupold in 4yrs to die.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I now have a nervous and uncomfortable feeling reading this thread. I just bought a VX-5 HD CDS-ZL2 3-15X a week ago. It’s still in the unopened, unwrapped box.

Plan is/was to upgrade a 29 year old VX-2 which has done a good job on an equally aged 7mag. Had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket so I bought the VX-5. No real hurry to swap out the old scope, but it will get done either with theVX-5 or some other brand of scope. Now reading this I may return the VX-5.

I guess I have been a Leupold devotee. I also own two other Leupolds ...... a VX-R and a VX3i.......and have been pleased with both. However, neither of these utilize dial up/dial down yardage turrets. The VX-5 HD would be my first dial up / dial down scope. I may need to think on it some more.

Last edited:
I now have a nervous and uncomfortable feeling reading this thread. I just bought a VX-5 HD CDS-ZL2 3-15X a week ago. It’s still in the unopened, unwrapped box.

Plan is/was to upgrade a 29 year old VX-2 which has done a good job on an equally aged 7mag. Had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket so I bought the VX-5. No real hurry to swap out the old scope, but it will get done either with theVX-5 or some other brand of scope. Now reading this I may return the VX-5.

I guess I have been a Leupold devotee. I also own two other Leupolds ...... a VX-R and a VX3i.......and have been pleased with both. However, neither of these utilize dial up/dial down yardage turrets. The VX-5 HD would be my first dial up / dial down scope. I may need to think on it some more.

Why be nervous? I am selling two Leupold Mark5s and going back to the VX5HD on 2 rifles. I am keeping a Mark 5 on my Sendero but I’ve had zero issues with the VX5HD tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Why be nervous? I am selling two Leupold Mark5s and going back to the VX5HD on 2 rifles. I am keeping a Mark 5 on my Sendero but I’ve had zero issues with the VX5HD tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting. Your experience & confidence in the VX-5 weighs in. I saw your ads. Nice scopes and also a nice trio of rifles, whatever they are! Like I mentioned, I need to think on it. I do realize my thoughts of returning the VX-5 is a little bit of a knee jerk reaction from reading the thread. I really do like the VX-5’s size, features, appearance, etc.

The vast majority of posts claiming how reliable or how poorly an optic tracks are by folks that have never actually checked or only performed a janky live fire “test”.

Don’t get nervous from interwebs mumbling. Check your optic. If it tracks & returns to zero, great. If it doesn’t track, send it in to get repaired.

I agree. Shoot your VX5 and see if it dials accurately and returns to zero. Mine did not. That's why I put it on my varmint rifle. Missing a coyote isn't a big deal. Missing a big buck or bull is. My new Huskemaw dials perfectly and returns to zero like it's supposed to. I have the utmost confidence that the Huskemaw will perform in the moment of truth. I didn't feel that way with the VX5.

brsnow

WKR
60% of Amazon reviews are fake, 40% of all online reviews are fake, however I got those numbers from the Internet as well... At the end of the day, forums and internet is fun/entertainment, not the best place to research a purchase.

I've had my vx5 HD for about a year now and its been flawless so far that I could tell and is dead accurate at the distances I've shot it at. Have not stretched it past 500 yards though and don't plan on it for a whitetail deer rifle. Ive heard the same reviews online but you can literally find bad reviews on literally everything now. Apples to apples, its better than my new razor LHT so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

NYbuck

FNG
VX-5HD owner here, originally mounted on a Winchester model 70, now on a Cooper backcountry, both in 7mm mag. Traveled across the county for a Montana elk hunt. Held zero without problem. Shot again after a 6 day hunt and another 1800miles of travel, no issues.

Been trying to decide between the Zeiss V4 or VX5. Reading this thread made my decision easy.

tracker12

WKR
I have two VX5 HD and both have worked flawlessly. One on a 300 and another on my Grendel. Plus I am confident if there is a problem it will be fixed no questions asked. I knew a guy who worked there and when as scope was sent in it was easier to replace potential problems cheaper than trying to figure out what the cause was.

Last edited:

Alienx

FNG
Shot an elk at 500yds this year with a VX-5 on top of a Tikka 300WSM and hit perfectly. Was thinking about putting it on top of mine but after researching tracking issues I'm not sure that's the right scope...My VX-3 does wander slightly as well and needs a slight tweak each spring.

Here’s my VX5HD experience. About a month ago I posted that my custom .300wsm quit shooting. It’s a 3/4-7/8 moa rifle. Just like that it was a scattergun. By that I mean 5-6” at 200 at best. Checked the stock, crown, mounts, etc.....

Decided to put the VX5 on my Barrett 30-06 and try it, Friday. The Barret is 3/4 moa rifle with my eyes.
I had some issues getting it dialed at 100. Went out this morning at 200 and again i had a scattergun on my hands. Two different rifles.
Came home and put my VX3i back on the Barrett 30-06 and went back to the range. It’s right back to 3/4 moa.
This will be the second time I’m sending the VX5 back to Leupold. First time was because right out of the box the reticle was canted.
Take from this what you will. I hear people say, so what their warranty is great. They will fix it.
You know what, I’d rather have a product where I don’t need to use the warranty this much. Especially when this happens 3 weeks before a hunting trip west. Thankfully I have another rifle.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I had a VX3i LRP that Leupold flat out replaced after the 2nd time it was back for service with tracking and holding zero issues.

I hear and read more about Leupold scopes going back with issues than Vortex, but yet people still sing praises for Leupold. My scope took 6 weeks to get returned and I had to pay to ship their problem back to them.