Leupold VX-5 HD Tracking (Opinions on Huskemaw?)

I have VX-5 and have great results with it so far. Haven't shot it in awhile and now you guys have me worried. I have used Leupold for awhile and when there has been a question or concern I have always received fantastic customer service. I realize it's better to not have to call but it is refreshing to know you are taken care of if there is a problem.

I have VX-5 and have great results with it so far. Haven't shot it in awhile and now you guys have me worried. I have used Leupold for awhile and when there has been a question or concern I have always received fantastic customer service. I realize it's better to not have to call but it is refreshing to know you are taken care of if there is a problem.

I would go off your great results and personal experience vs what a collection of folks might say on an Internet forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If it’s actually reliably tracking and dialing for you then keep using it. I always recommend that guys verify their scopes are properly dialing. Guys simply don’t do this often enough and then claim “my scope dials fine.” How did you check it? What was your data?

I personally validate all of mine with a total station just to make sure everything is exact. This is how I verified that indeed both my VX-5 and VX-6 had errors and were confirmed with new turrets from Leupold warranty.

It’s not just this forum calling out Leupold on their lower quality light weight turrets. They simply just don’t track as reliably as some other scopes. The data doesn’t lie.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
I personally validate all of mine with a total station just to make sure everything is exact. This is how I verified that indeed both my VX-5 and VX-6 had errors and were confirmed with new turrets from Leupold warranty.

What is a total station?

-- Scott

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
It’s an extremely accurate surveying and measuring device.

I know this post is a few months old...was doing some research on the VX5HD's (I own a few of these and rely on them for hunting). You mentioned using a total station to check the tracking, did you post the data anywhere to show what you found? I can imagine how to set up a target at a distance and dial up and down to check a scope in a rudimentary way, but if you've already done something like this I'd like to see what you found. Thanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I know this post is a few months old...was doing some research on the VX5HD's (I own a few of these and rely on them for hunting). You mentioned using a total station to check the tracking, did you post the data anywhere to show what you found? I can imagine how to set up a target at a distance and dial up and down to check a scope in a rudimentary way, but if you've already done something like this I'd like to see what you found. Thanks.

Yep I have the data on my external hard drive which is in my office at work (where my tracking setup is). I don’t remember what the numbers were for that specific scope off the top of my head. Once I’m back from mandatory work from home and allowed back in the office I can PM you the results.

That scope tracked pretty well when I first bought it a couple years ago. Not sure what happened but I started noticing the dialing and tracking started not correlating to what I had field verified previously. I thought maybe it was the handloads I was shooting or possibly the rifle. I did some chrono work and a nice cleaning of the rifle since I tend to let my rigs get pretty dirty compared to most guys. I re-zeroed it on my home range and then tried some dialing and taking shots and noticed it was off. This isn’t a great way to verify tracking so I threw up my home made tracking board for a quick test. I again noticed it was not tracking correctly but it’s really tough to accurately verify real numbers (lots and lots of turns and rtzs) doing it in this method.

You need a controlled environment, a perfectly level and stable scope, and a tracking board that has been accurately measured in. You also need to verify that parallax isn’t introducing any errors.

Here’s a very quick description of how the test goes...

I verify all of my scopes at my office where we calibrate our total stations. They go through this procedure before they ever go onto a rifle. I’m able to verify accuracy at (0.5 +1ppm xD) mm. That’s using the latest ISO spec for accuracy. So any scope that goes onto the calibration station will be tracking against a “perfectly” measured verification tool.

I have created and measured in a tracking verification sheet using the total station. The scopes are then leveled, measured, and zeroed onto the center of the sheet at exactly 300 feet. The scope and tracking sheet are both measured in to be perfectly aligned horizontally and vertically. After the center of the sheet and the center of the reticle are aligned, and it has been verified that parallax isn’t effecting the outcome, zero is then set on the scope.

Finally we get to spin some turrets. I’ll start with small movements both horizontal and vertical with returns to zero. I then start stretching the turrets out to some larger distances. I keep track of clicks very carefully in each direction and writing down results.

People forget to realize that 1 MOA at 300 feet is 1.047" meaning the scope adjusts 0.261" with every click of the turret on a .25 MOA per click turret. Most homemade “tracking boards” aren’t measured in correctly and scarily, a lot of guys use shooting the rifle for verification. This is okay for a quick verification but not to accurately test if your scope is tracking correctly. Guys who don’t shoot and just use the scopes (better method) often do it in an environment where they haven’t been properly leveled, properly measured in, and checked for parallax issues. So you see a lot of guys claiming a certain scope “doesn’t track” but have zero verifiable data to back up their claim.

I’m a huge proponent of doing my own research for my own gear. Reading on the internet can help, but you gotta test your own gear for how you plan to use it.

Bater

WKR
I’ve moved away from Leupold for all the above reasons. Only NF, Zeiss V4, Razors and SWFA’s of my hunting rigs. Could see a 4-16 Huskemaw in my future though

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I have the data on my external hard drive which is in my office at work (where my tracking setup is). I don’t remember what the numbers were for that specific scope off the top of my head. Once I’m back from mandatory work from home and allowed back in the office I can PM you the results.

I’m a huge proponent of doing my own research for my own gear. Reading on the internet can help, but you gotta test your own gear for how you plan to use it.

Wow, thank you for that! Excellent info. I look forward to seeing some data when life gets more back to normal. I'm really curious what the differences are both in design and performance from Leupold to other brands. I love the glass, but if it's not reliable or function properly, it's nearly useless. My hope is that these are isolated cases OR that the designs have been improved OR that I'm lucky to not have issues (luck isn't present considering how I did in the recent NM draw).

I’ve moved away from Leupold for all the above reasons. Only NF, Zeiss V4, Razors and SWFA’s of my hunting rigs. Could see a 4-16 Huskemaw in my future though
Did you have issues personally? Not calling you out, just curious what the circumstances were.

Bater

WKR
Wow, thank you for that! Excellent info. I look forward to seeing some data when life gets more back to normal. I'm really curious what the differences are both in design and performance from Leupold to other brands. I love the glass, but if it's not reliable or function properly, it's nearly useless. My hope is that these are isolated cases OR that the designs have been improved OR that I'm lucky to not have issues (luck isn't present considering how I did in the recent NM draw).

Did you have issues personally? Not calling you out, just curious what the circumstances were.
Yes and more than a time or two. I am not a hater and would probably own nothing but Leupolds if they worked consistently, but I have been bitten too many times. Their weight, looks and features are awesome, just can’t trust them. When your 300RUM turns a Leupy into a baby rattle it makes you question their ruggedness…

Yes and more than a time or two. I am not a hater and would probably own nothing but Leupolds if they worked consistently, but I have been bitten too many times. Their weight, looks and features are awesome, just can’t trust them. When your 300RUM turns a Leupy into a baby rattle it makes you question their ruggedness…

Will a 7mm STW rattle a Leupold?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Will a 7mm STW rattle a Leupold?

I had a 7STW for a few years. No problems with my Leupold.

Here is a tidbit on testing:

“Leupold is the leader in developing the ruggedness testing that ensures a lifetime of dependable use. We spent a considerable amount of time talking with David Archerd in Quality Assurance/Product Testing. David is an interesting guy, and his lab has the most sophisticated test equipment I have ever seen. At the time of our visit they were plotting the recoil curve of a .338-378 Weatherby rifle.

Leupold test equipment is able to plot the entire recoil curve of any rifle/cartridge combination, amplitude and duration, with all the peaks. Recoil might subject a riflescope to a peak of something like 300 g acceleration, or 300 times the force of gravity. Note that duration is as important as amplitude. The longer that acceleration lasts the harder it is for the scope to endure.

They can also plot pressure curves with such precision that, according to David, they can tell when the primer ignites, when the powder starts to burn, when the bullet leaves the mouth of the case, when it engages the rifling and when it leaves the muzzle. I wish we could do this at Guns and Shooting Online.

This data can be translated into acceleration loads ("g force") over time and fed into a piece of high tech, torture test equipment about the size of a telephone booth that, in my mind, I dubbed the "Mangler." A test scope placed in this high tech scope tester can then be subjected to exactly the same loads as it would be if mounted on the rifle from which the data was collected. Any scope can be subjected to destructive loads in this machine. Naturally, Leupold also uses this technology to test other brands of scopes to see how well the competition is doing. All Leupold and most other brands and models of scopes (purchased right off the shelf in retail stores) are tested in this lab.“

Interesting information Steve. There is a lot to like about Leupold, but their reliability unfortunately isn't one of them for me. I'd trust (probably) the Mark 5 series but customers shouldn't have to consistently spend over $2000 to get reliability. If i could trust their $500-$1200 range scopes to consistently track and hold zero I'd own multiples. Maybe they are turning things around with more rigorous testing and improvements based on said testing. I sure hope so...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is more:

I think Leupolds are a fantastic hunting rifle scope for my needs.

Bater

WKR
Did you expect a Leupold advertisement to speak critically of a Leupold product? Look, I want Leupold to fix their problems and become a reliable dialer as much as anyone. They check all my boxes except for rugged internals. Now of course I am only speaking from personal experience and not from a commercial I watched so take it for what it’s worth...

Last edited:

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2-12 vxr with terrible eye relief change between magnification. Been back 3 times and they keep saying it looks fine. My others have no issues. Only real complaint I have had.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Did you expect a Leupold advertisement to speak critically of a Leupold product? Look, I want Leupold to fix their problems and become a reliable dialer as much as anyone. They check all my boxes except for rugged internals. Now of course I am speaking from personal experience and not from a commercial I watched so take it for what it’s worth...
Personal experience is much more value than a manufacturers commercial for sure. I've been thinking about this a lot as I own several VX5HD scopes and really like them, but haven't done much dialing with them. In all their testing (recoil, water, temperatures), I didn't see any mention of transportation, random vibration, shock off axis (not inline with recoil), external stress (rings, dropped, etc). From my personal experience random vib can cause all sorts of havock on optical systems. Driving down a road on an ATV with a rifle on the rack might expose the scope to worse conditions than they test. Engines and roadways are great sources of vibration. A helicopter can be a brutal environment.
Anyway, I like that they do some important testing, but maybe they need more to expose some of these issues? HALT testing only goes so far. I'm hopeful they'll fix any issues that arise as they uncover them, be it from testing or customers repaired scopes. Time will tell.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I run a VX-6HD on my 28 Nosler and have had ZERO issues out of the tracking reliability or holding zero after shooting a fair amount and hunting pretty hard with it this year.
Define "a fair amount" of shooting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve never heard of any issues with Leupolds ever till I start diving into forums.

That's because most guys that hunt back east never touch their dials after they sight them in, and they may shoot a half box of shells a year through them before season. Any scope should pass that kind of test

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am only up to approximately 120 rounds on my vx5 in 300wsm. Dialed a little today practicing in the wind. I am still impressed with clarity and function so far on this scope. Used a vx2 previously that I never had an issue with. I took a nasty little tumble in a boulder field a few years back.
Smacked the rifle and scope bad. It shot 2" right when I checked zero. My buddy uses a vx3 the past 5 years with no issues through miles of oak brush.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the critical aspect of mounting the scope to the rifle. Everything from over/under torque of rings to leveling can have a tremendous impact of scope performance.

Finally I will say in the past few years dialing has really become a thing in the hunting world. Technology and engineering take time to synchronize sometimes. Not excusing it but definite possibilities. I personally will continue to use Leupold products until proven otherwise.