Light but tough backpacking tents

I’m looking for a backpacking tent around 3 lbs or so. I’ve seen several lighter but it seems like durability and reliability starts to suffer. I’m looking for a double-wall bathtub floor option. I have a lot of floor-less experience but I don’t feel comfortable in the coastal rainforest without at least an ultralight bivy under me. Think lots of rain - had 3+ inches in a night once in this area...

Looking at the Big Agnes Sl-1 and other options from them. Open to others. I’d like quick setup for bivy-style hunts. Basically looking for the toughest I can get in this category.

I've been running the SeekOutside Silex with the inner nest and have been happy with it. I like having the two large vestibules for stashing gear along with the bug protection and bathtub floor for moisture control. All in with both stuff sacks, cordage, and stakes it sitting at 47oz. With 30d material that's rated at 3000mm head pressure it's about as tough and light as you're gonna find. I've also run the Hilleberg Akto and although bomber material, it's coffin feeling and condensation issues wasn't fun.

I would feel comfortable with anything from Big Agnes. I have the platinum version of the Fly Creek 2. Obviously, with the light weight, the materials are pretty thin. But, I've had it for 7ish years and have put a lot of nights in it. It still works great. My brother has a slightly new version that he's had for 3-4 years. No issues for him either. If I was doing it over again, I'd probably go with the platinum version of the Copper Spur 2 (what my Dad has). It weighs a bit more than the Fly Creek, but it's a better design IMO. If durability was my primary concern, I'd just go with the non-Platinum version of the Copper Spur.

Withstood a nice thunder/wind storm and some hard rain in Idaho last year. Roomy and easy to set up, under two pounds if your already hauling trekking poles.

Thanks for the replies! I set out to find a full sleep system at about 5 lbs. due to durability and the places I hunt, I’ve conceded this will probably be 6 or a bit more... I’m looking at maybe going back to a floor less to save some weight.

For a bag it’s either lightweight down and I’d need either a bathtub floor that I trust or a 6oz bivy At least for a floor less. I’d probably chance it with a floor less and synthetic bag, but then the bag is about 6-8 oz heavier. Looking at North Face Cat‘s Meow. I’ve had a Mishap in a creek already, so I like knowing I could crawl in my bag wet and survive...

For pad I’m fairly set on Klymit Static V - heavyish but more solid materials. Seems like the lighter versions make big concessions in material for the weight savings. I just don’t want to sleep on the ground when another 4-5 oz would have prevented it!

That’s already a 4.2 lb system though... I’d probably eat a bit of extra weight to be more bomber. Living in such a wet place, it will get you sooner or later if you skimp. Been there done that!

Thanks for the replies! I set out to find a full sleep system at about 5 lbs. due to durability and the places I hunt, I’ve conceded this will probably be 6 or a bit more... I’m looking at maybe going back to a floor less to save some weight.

For a bag it’s either lightweight down and I’d need either a bathtub floor that I trust or a 6oz bivy At least for a floor less. I’d probably chance it with a floor less and synthetic bag, but then the bag is about 6-8 oz heavier. Looking at North Face Cat‘s Meow. I’ve had a Mishap in a creek already, so I like knowing I could crawl in my bag wet and survive...

For pad I’m fairly set on Klymit Static V - heavyish but more solid materials. Seems like the lighter versions make big concessions in material for the weight savings. I just don’t want to sleep on the ground when another 4-5 oz would have prevented it!

That’s already a 4.2 lb system though... I’d probably eat a bit of extra weight to be more bomber. Living in such a wet place, it will get you sooner or later if you skimp. Been there done that!

Carry your sleeping bag in a waterproof compression sack and you wont have to worry about falling in a creek again. Get a down bag for weight savings, packed size, and longevity. I'd also make sure you are getting a certified r-value mat, last I checked Klymit is not doing that. Look at mats from EXPED, Thermarest, or Nemo. If you want the heavier materials for going floorless, the EXPED SynMat XP 7 gives you a 4.8 r-value and 70D fabrics for 28oz.

I've been running a BA Copper Spur HV UL2 the last two years on solo archery elk hunts. Hasn't fail me yet in rainy and windy conditions. 3 season tent.

Good info Swanny. I do keep my gear in dry bags - more worried about me falling in the creek. I want to have a way to get warmed back up. In WA I’m not. Sure I’d ever get everything dried out without a good sunny day. A tent stove would be nice, but its Not usually cold enough to justify it here.

Dan Durston's X-Mid 1P is a 28oz double wall that gets very good reviews at a nice price point. I purchased one earlier this year when they were discounted to $160 and am impressed with the overall design, ease of setup, and construction quality.
The below link takes you to the X-Mid on Drop which has a nice over view and setup videos.

For ultra-light and bomber-proof I use the fly off my Hilleberg Nallo GT. Gobs of room and it is a 4 season, solid fly. In super cold and wet conditions I add the tent or tent plus footprint.

Another option that may work are some of the tarp tents. similar to the Scarp.

Check out the ultralight models from Hyperlite. If you’re not worried about price, that is. I don’t own one personally, but a good hunting buddy of mine does and after using it I can assure you that thing is hurricane proof.

Back