Lightweight Scope for Western Hunting

PAPAROD

FNG
What are some recommendations for a basic scope (does not need big turrets or illumination) , lightweight, around $500ish, best glass for the money. I will be using it on a 300win mag or 7mm rem mag for western style hunting.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
What are some recommendations for a basic scope (does not need big turrets or illumination) , lightweight, around $500ish, best glass for the money. I will be using it on a 300win mag or 7mm rem mag for western style hunting.
Do you wan to dial for distance, holdover/MPBR, or use a ballistic reticle?
Max distance you set for yourself?
Magnification range?

OP
PAPAROD

PAPAROD

FNG
I was looking at a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS ZL, however alot of people on here talk about Trijicon's.... I can get a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 for $501 or an Accupoint 3-9x40 for $561.

OP
PAPAROD

PAPAROD

FNG
I would like to lean more toward a dial turrets for elevation, I currently hand load/ and borrow a chrono when gathering my ballistics data. I always have a rangefinder on me next to my binos. My max hunting shooting distance i practice out to is 400 yards.

Idamuley

FNG
I was looking at a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS ZL, however alot of people on here talk about Trijicon's.... I can get a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 for $501 or an Accupoint 3-9x40 for $561.
I have a Leupold vx3 4.5-14 the glass is great but the eye relief isn’t very good.

the only scopes in the $500 range that reliably hold zero are the SWFAs, and trijicon credo/tenmiles that you find on sale for slightly over $500.

For a sleek scope that actually works, you have to jump up to the S&B Klassik line, at a way higher price point.

the hunting scope performance topic, and some scopes, are beat to death here: https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

OP
PAPAROD

PAPAROD

FNG
I will check that out, another question I have is there a huge difference between the 40mm and 50mm objectives in the 3-9ish or 4.5-14ish size magnification scopes. Also still trying to stay on the lighter weight of things.

nobody

WKR
Light weight should be WAY down the list for scope "features." A scope should weight whatever it needs to weigh to function properly.

My advice is a Trijicon Credo in some flavor, watch for it to go on sale. Get one with exposed elevation turrets. You don't ever NEED to use them if you don't want to, but if you ever decide you want to do some playing at the range, you won't be held back.

Other than that, as @ResearchinStuff said above, a fixed power SWFA will fit your needs nicely. It doesn't have any of the fancy buzzwords that all the marketing departments at the major scope companies like to throw around, but at 21 oz and under $500, it can't be beat for durability, reliability, tracking performance, or longevity. It'll never hold you back.

JSol

FNG
I'm a little late to the party on this one but what about the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4x16? I have one on my 7 PRC and was shooting 1200 yards at the range today. It seems to be holding zero and dialing well. No complaints and its decently light. I think I picked it up at Cabelas in the $400-500 range.