Lightweight scope that dials with zero stop, does it exist?

There are at least two different manufacturers that make the SS line of scopes, depending on model. As for why someone can’t get the manufacturer to copy/make them for someone else... we’ll they could match them. But no major company believes that simple, ruggedly reliable scopes will sell.
seeing how hard it is to get an swfa right now, i would say the market may be growing for such a scope? i wonder if the major optics companies are paying attention to that?

it would be nice to see a couple bigger companies jump on board with this concept, but i guess it would be tough to heavily market that concept without admitting the rest of their line isn't as reliable as the "new" simple/reliable design.... i'm sure there is someone with a clever enough marketing team to slip it in somehow. i feel like the push of huge magnification ranges currently trending is drifting in the wrong direction though, already a lot of marketing invested in telling people that's what they want/need... an 8-10X magnification range.... i certainly don't

sneaky

"DADDY"
Jardo,
Cooper just built me a new backcountry since I had so many issues with my 7mmRM. Total pain but atleast they stuck by product. I changed it up to a 280ai for similar ballistics but no belted mag. I had swaro z3 4-12 x50 BDC on 7mmRM and took muley at 500 yards but felt like that was my max comfort with that scope. Would appreciate hearing more about your setup to be consistent out to 800 yards. Are you still happy with your zeiss V6? Assuming 3-15? Factory turret? Holding zero? I have been wanting to get into reloading but picked a terrible time to start. I am planning on trying Nosler 140g AB, any other suggestions. Thanks
Chris
What happened with your Backcountry? I have one in 280AI, it's a fantastic shooter. With the harmonics of the thin barrel Cooper doesn't recommend anything over a 168 in it, and I can confirm that's good advice. It shoots everything from 130-168 into itty bitty groups.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
seeing how hard it is to get an swfa right now, i would say the market may be growing for such a scope? i wonder if the major optics companies are paying attention to that?

it would be nice to see a couple bigger companies jump on board with this concept, but i guess it would be tough to heavily market that concept without admitting the rest of their line isn't as reliable as the "new" simple/reliable design.... i'm sure there is someone with a clever enough marketing team to slip it in somehow. i feel like the push of huge magnification ranges currently trending is drifting in the wrong direction though, already a lot of marketing invested in telling people that's what they want/need... an 8-10X magnification range.... i certainly don't
Companies don’t listen to us, they listen to sales at Bass Pro. Or they don’t pay attention. Features sell, not durability, unfortunately. And they lie, blatantly! Swarovski claims their Z5 and Z6 lines are so tough, with their “patented 4 coil spring erector system”. One of their reps even told me that it will hold up to a .50 BMG and they are “tanks in what they can handle”. Between that and the Swarovski name, I admittedly fell for it. I’ve owned a few and still own two of them. Features, glass quality and especially weight wise, the Z6, is just untouchable. To me, there’s not even a close second. It’s an absolutely amazing and joyful scope to use and hunt with, until it isn’t.

PureShot4

FNG
I like the lightweight Leopoldo line, you can get a 50mm objective too which is important to me for low light mornings.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you verify at the range before hunting, any quality optic is not going to magically stop tracking during the hunt but All scopes can and will fail given the right circumstances. ALL scopes can and will fail given the right impact. NF, S&B, Leupy... doesn’t matter. Just like all optic manufacturers will have some QC issues. Shoot there are parallex issues with some Tangent Thetas.
Mine did loose zero mid hunt. Sucks.

Bones

WKR
I have had 2 instances with the same Leupold scope where I traveled out to WY or CO and have questioned the scope after the hunt. I took an antelope and an elk with shots that were near the spine. One was <200 yards, and I was prone and the other was 300y sitting off a tripod. I felt very good about both shots, and the animal died right away, but shot placement was not where I expected at all. I have questioned the scope after riding all the way out there. Typically the case is upright, so my thought would be reticle shifts down throughout the trip. The next trip out, I had a March on the .280 AI, and I took an antelope at around 150 y with a very quick window to shoot, through the heart. I know this is anecdotal, but it has made me question the Leupy tremendously. I am not saying that the March is bombproof, just that the bullet actually impacted exactly where expected unlike the previous two animals.

Shraggs

WKR
I have had 2 instances with the same Leupold scope where I traveled out to WY or CO and have questioned the scope after the hunt. I took an antelope and an elk with shots that were near the spine. One was <200 yards, and I was prone and the other was 300y sitting off a tripod. I felt very good about both shots, and the animal died right away, but shot placement was not where I expected at all. I have questioned the scope after riding all the way out there. Typically the case is upright, so my thought would be reticle shifts down throughout the trip. The next trip out, I had a March on the .280 AI, and I took an antelope at around 150 y with a very quick window to shoot, through the heart. I know this is anecdotal, but it has made me question the Leupy tremendously. I am not saying that the March is bombproof, just that the bullet actually impacted exactly where expected unlike the previous two animals.
Had more than a couple lupys follow this exact scenario. Verifying zero - was lost. I believe even cased rifles take some bumps especially in the back of a truck. In my experience it’s more typical than a rifle falling. I’ve even had a quality gun case so tight the plastic was bulging when closed. Same result.

Although some here scoff at these tests - these simple non destructive drops represent legitimate field and travel experiences. I’m embracing my eyes being opened. Can’t thank Form and Ryan enough!

WKR…

Bones

WKR
Had more than a couple lupys follow this exact scenario. Verifying zero - was lost. I believe even cased rifles take some bumps especially in the back of a truck. In my experience it’s more typical than a rifle falling. I’ve even had a quality gun case so tight the plastic was bulging when closed. Same result.

Although some here scoff at these tests - these simple non destructive drops represent legitimate field and travel experiences. I’m embracing my eyes being opened. Can’t thank Form and Ryan enough!

WKR…
Agreed, Thanks to them for doing this.

This was even on relatively smooth roads, Highways and some gravel that wasn't overly rough with a cased rifle.

Again, anecdotal, but it took me quite a while to come to the conclusion that it is probably the scope. It was on a 7mm Tikka that I shot a fair bit before going west (~200 rounds) Form can speak to it better, but it makes sense to me that when the gun is upright, the "bouncing" caused the reticle to move down. This would make you raise the gun to get on target causing a high impact. It is the same as spinning the turret to move the bullet impact up, the reticle moves down.

Dobermann

WKR

On the other hand, imagine trying to actively market the SWFA 3-9:

• It's boring!
  • The zoom ratio is widely considered to be out-of-date!
  • It has moderately low magnification, in a range that's now seen as Fuddish!
  • The turrets are taller than they probably need to be!
  • Glass is only so-so!
  • The reticle is descended from an old military design that no-one now uses - and most hunters don't understand!
  • And it has a weird chicken-eagle on the side that no-one at the range will recognise, but everyone will laugh at!

If only the following had any sway:
  • It's reliable.
  • Half the members of Rokslide swear by it.

BjornF16

WKR

• It's boring!
  • Glass is only so-so!
  • The reticle is descended from an old military design that no-one now uses - and most hunters don't understand!
  • And it has a weird chicken-eagle on the side that no-one at the range will recognise, but everyone will laugh at!

• It's reliable.
Reliability being the most important trait…

cba5003

FNG
What happened with your Backcountry? I have one in 280AI, it's a fantastic shooter. With the harmonics of the thin barrel Cooper doesn't recommend anything over a 168 in it, and I can confirm that's good advice. It shoots everything from 130-168 into itty bitty groups.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Accuracy issues to start (literally being outshot by my 1980’s a-bolt). That was corrected. Mag was falling out of gun. That was corrected. Last straw was I had a cartridge get stuck in the chamber I couldn’t get out in the field, popped the bolt out for the ride home, and had to put a barrel cleaner down to get round out. Just got 280 AI in and am re-thinking whole setup. I have a TB suppressor ready to go but not sure it makes sense modifying the sporter barrel to accept on a brand new rifle. Also thinking of getting different scope so looking for advice.

Nope. The fastest way to HIT at any distance past PB is to dial elevation, hold windage.

I see a hundred plus Nightforces and 40-50 SWFA’s heavily used and measured each year. I have for almost a decade. The failure rate through 5,000 rounds on each is less than 1% for Nightforce, and around 2-3% for SWFA fixed powers. Haven’t seen a 3-9x SS failure despite having put more than 20,000 rounds in each of more than a dozen- several with more than 60k rounds, and two with over 120k documented rounds.

SWFA has a Black Friday sale. Buy the 3-9x42mm SS. Use it, abuse it, trash it. If it breaks, or you don’t like it after giving it a fair shot- I’ll buy it from you for what you paid.
Form, are there any Nightforces that DONT pass your test? Seems more available than the SWFA at the moment and I'm in the market for a couple of scopes, one for a chassis gun and another for a hunting rifle. Thanks in advance.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, are there any Nightforces that DONT pass your test? Seems more available than the SWFA at the moment and I'm in the market for a couple of scopes, one for a chassis gun and another for a hunting rifle. Thanks in advance.

I have only done the 3-10x and 4-14x F1 SHV’s, the NX8’s, NXS’s, ATACR’s abd BEASTS. But all those do fine.

• It's boring!
  • Glass is only so-so!

• It's reliable.
No point in marketing a product when the company historically has little to no inventory. SWFA has chronic supply chain issues going back years (pre-Covid) and they still haven’t figured it out.

Dobermann

WKR
No point in marketing a product when the company historically has little to no inventory. SWFA has chronic supply chain issues going back years (pre-Covid) and they still haven’t figured it out.
I hear ya ...

But FWIW, Ilya mentioned that they've had some shipments in the last couple of years that have then all gone out to backorders, so have not even shown as in stock on the site ...

Implication being that anyone who wants one should backorder, rather than waiting and watching hoping they're going to show as in stock.

Also suggests how many must get quietly ordered by people and then head out to the field ...

new to this discussion, but like many am also looking for this unicorn scope. curious, how lightweight is lightweight?

I almost bought an older vortex razor hd lh 2-10x40 yesterday but got outbid - it has elevation turret but not sure about zero-stop. Also not sure how the older razor glass compares to the new lht models…