Lite Outdoors 18" vs SO SXL

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got some serious warping going on the stove body by the pipe hole. They all warp though, Iv got some slight leaking around the pipe hole, but it still burns just fine.

I’m also convinced that my notches are slightly off on my stove body, I need to do some trimming due to way too tight of fit, to the point that there was some bending. In 10 degrees it was a swear fest.

The door on the LO is the best Iv used though. Can fit a good size log in there.

It’s lacking a few other features I liked on my kifaru stove, like double loops with orange cord.

From what I can tell in researching the LO that only happens when you tighten the rods too tight and not just snug. I would think if this is done on the initial burn in then you’ll always have this issue.

The new rods are all pre rung with springs, there is no adjusting.

I got a nice sized divot by my pipe, leaks a bit while I start a fire, but no problems after.

My stove is warped to crap, but I think that happens to all of them with enough use. Still goes together and burns just fine.

If it warps any worse around my pipe hole I may need to look at another body.

Last edited:
The door on the LO is the best Iv used though. Can fit a good size log in there.

Personally, I like the traditional door on Luxe's 3W stove a LOT better.....

Tod osier

WKR
Have you had a problem or issue with significant warping with your stove?

My first body just went totally to shit the first burn, warped and buckled the entire surface - it was amazing. It was not due to the rods being too tight, just some quirk (I guess was it was a material flaw - it seemed like it wasn't a surprise). He sent me a new body and the second body was perfect after being burnt in.

Mosby

WKR
My first body just went totally to shit the first burn, warped and buckled the entire surface - it was amazing. It was not due to the rods being too tight, just some quirk (I guess was it was a material flaw - it seemed like it wasn't a surprise). He sent me a new body and the second body was perfect after being burnt in.
I saw a review on youtube and the guy had the same experience with two of them. I really like the specs on this stove but I know me. If I burn it in and it warps badly, it will pmo for the money spent. I may just get the SO box stove when I order a Redcliff and call it a day...decisions..decisions.

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
I saw a review on youtube and the guy had the same experience with two of them. I really like the specs on this stove but I know me. If I burn it in and it warps badly, it will pmo for the money spent. I may just get the SO box stove when I order a Redcliff and call it a day...decisions..decisions.

Sometime in November SO is releasing a new variation of their box stove that will save weight. Look up the u-turn stove.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm of like mind, I was annoyed. Good support,but i understand.

The stoves in general are big bucks for thin sheet metal cut with tin snips. They work, but do not quite fit with my sense of aesthetics or value.

tdhanses

WKR
The new rods are all pre rung with springs, there is no adjusting.

I got a nice sized divot by my pipe, leaks a bit while I start a fire, but no problems after.

My stove is warped to crap, but I think that happens to all of them with enough use. Still goes together and burns just fine.

If it warps any worse around my pipe hole I may need to look at another body.

Really, all the videos he has show him tightening a nut by hand, has he had 3 variations since inception? Now you have me wondering if all the videos etc are out dated.

I noticed he now sells replacement bodies.

tdhanses

WKR
Sometime in November SO is releasing a new variation of their box stove that will save weight. Look up the u-turn stove.

Interesting, a new version of the old one. Have you seen any pricing info?

Last edited:

reaper

WKR
Tell me more. Does it all fit?
i have a 3'' titanium pipe and Brennen cut a 3'' hole in my stove before shipping,kifaru collar set works too wich is nice because you can clean the spark arretors and no need to take the stove pipe off put there is no damper,i ordered the ultra damper from seekoutside i think its gonna be perfect for the stove.

Helois Helpful Hints...

For you guys that use these little tent stoves, one of those little extendable back-scratch tools work really well for tending the stove. Handy as hell for pulling coals to the front, when stoking the stove. About the size of a ballpoint pen with a claw on the end. Beats the heck outta using a green twig..... and takes up little space in the stove bag, and weighs very little.

Thank me later..... signed, Helois. grin

Lawnboi

WKR
i have a 3'' titanium pipe and Brennen cut a 3'' hole in my stove before shipping,kifaru collar set works too wich is nice because you can clean the spark arretors and no need to take the stove pipe off put there is no damper,i ordered the ultra damper from seekoutside i think its gonna be perfect for the stove.

Great idea. I don’t necessarily need a damper, but I really don’t care for how the pipe goes in the LO stove, specifically if I need the spark arrestor.

If I went the LO route again I’d look at something similar. Too late for me now though.

gfreidy

WKR
Really interested in the SO U turn stove. Should be out soon. Torn between that and the Lite Outdoors 18in. Will use in a Cimarron and a Silver Tip. Was hoping to use same stove for both setups. Prefer the larger door and the length of the LO - although good for the Cimarron might be too much for the Silver Tip?

tdhanses

WKR
Really interested in the SO U turn stove. Should be out soon. Torn between that and the Lite Outdoors 18in. Will use in a Cimarron and a Silver Tip. Was hoping to use same stove for both setups. Prefer the larger door and the length of the LO - although good for the Cimarron might be too much for the Silver Tip?

Depends on price but if the u turn isn’t much more I’ll go that route, otherwise I’ll get a LO stove.

tdhanses

WKR

Well they just released it but too expensive, $366 for a medium (smallest size) with a 5ft pipe. I’ll be going with a LO saving over $100.

Last edited: