Long range practice rounds for Tikka 6.5cm

16Bore

WKR
Hunt to 300 and play to 500 is a good place to be. I’m pretty much the same, except I use 330 as my max hunting distance, and only because there’s a 300M berm at my range. You should see the “my gun don’t shoot at 300” drama from fellas who forget to convert meters to yards. Anyhoo...

I only dial for fun and that doesn’t start until past 300 anyway, still haven’t “needed” to dial anything I’ll eat, but lots of clay pigeons.

So as for your conundrum, start with a ballistic app and see what your hunting rounds are doing, then try to match up a dupe.

A27A9912-CB2A-405B-8E73-F24678C2BB2D.jpeg

If you can find a similar BC you’re good. There’s Winchester and Federal American Eagle stuff that should likely run fine.

Don’t over think it, but the more distance you add...the more you’re going to want.

Which equals $$$$

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Right now about 250-300 yards. I'm not a bad shot (not great either), but I haven't had the time to figure out my two hunting rifles. I got the Tikka to stretch my yardage a bit and for some fun so i'm hoping to become more accurate at distances (just looking at 300-500 for now). I'm not really thinking about taking a hunting shot that far, but figure it would make sense to use target rounds that shoot similar to my hunting rounds (although I now see that's probably not feasible) just in case I feel comfortable and a shot presents itself.
There is going to be little difference in trajectory between projectiles at those distances. Play with a calculator, given the actual velocities you're shooting your hunting and practice rounds at, and understand what the difference will be.

Even if the differences were rather large. You're still going to be way ahead getting out to the range and practicing with something you can afford to shoot frequently, than you would be shooting just a little with the exact ammunition you chose to hunt with. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ericwh

WKR
Early testing suggests the 130gr Berger Hybrids are going to shoot well out of my tikka lite 6.5cm

16Bore

WKR
My “long range practice rounds” are all stamped 223 Rem.

xBC + yMV = Same DOPE

If you’ve got an itch for another rig, a 1:8 Tikka 223 with 75’s is a good lesson teacher.

Just another thought.....

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
My personal suggestion, use a higher BC bullet for hunting like a Berger 140 or Hornady 147, no reason to use a 120gr bullet you only shoot for hunting to only a few hundred yards, practice a ton with what you’ll hunt with, any bullet will perform if you have good shot placement. Also if only shooting to 500, that 120 will work but the heavier higher BC bullets will be better.
I only choose a 120 gr because I read that with copper bullets (such as the TTSX) it was better to have a lighter bullet and increased velocity to help with expansion.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Sounds like i'll just find an affordable/accurate target round and have 2 different dope charts for now. Thanks for all the info/advice!

holzgene

FNG
Its not the ttsx but for my Tikka 6.5 cm I'm shooting 129 grain Hornady SP's for practice/deer. Then I switch to the 127 grain LRX for hunting. SP's are dirt cheap and accurate, I'm getting .5 MOA with them

Okhotnik

WKR
I shoot a fair volume of 6.5cm through my M1A. S&B is very accurate for target practice and sells for around .50 per rd
The American gunner sells for .70per rd and I've never been able to get it to group consistently. I bought 5 cases (1k rounds) and use it exclusively for plinking or letting the kids mess around. Out of a 20rd mag, its 50/50 for hits on 30" steel at 650 yards. Very inconsistent. Ymmv.

Yep, the S&B for target practice

16Bore

WKR
Its not the ttsx but for my Tikka 6.5 cm I'm shooting 129 grain Hornady SP's for practice/deer. Then I switch to the 127 grain LRX for hunting. SP's are dirt cheap and accurate, I'm getting .5 MOA with them

I think that LRX is the way to fly. Supposed to be a tad softer which is a good thing.

I used the 120TTSX in my 260 years ago and had a problem with the tips snapping off. My ass puckered when I umchambered one hanging by a thread. Never been happier to come home empty handed. Coulda been nasty.

I like the old school TSX.

FLS

WKR
Dot worry about having the same drop. Find an economical practice round that is accurate enough and concentrate on learning to read wind. Elevation is the easy part. You don’t really need a premium bullet out of a Creedmoor, it’s not going fast enough to make a decent cup and core fail.
I try and keep it simple shoot a 140 Berger Hybrid for everything. Practice, match and hunting. I’ve shot a lot of different bullets and that one works the best out of my rifle.
The 140 Game King is a really accurate out of my rifle. I’ve banged steel beyond 1K with them and they’ll kill anything you would want to shoot with a Creedmoor.

Last edited: