Longrange spotting scope help!

OP
pyroducksx3
The only test I have is the two and the images were against a not terribly dark but dark clouds backround and I didnt notice anything, hopefully it isnt a factor.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The test would be dark hillside on light clouds. I only mention it because it could be a problem with your intended uses, which are pretty specific.

In any case, I am interested to hear how it turns out.

dotman

WKR
You do know not to pay retail on the razor right, I would send Paul (elknut) an email and see just what his price tyd is, you may be suprised how different the price is then.

OP
pyroducksx3
I know what elknuts price is, the swaro is less than 300$ more thank you though. I agree though if the swaro was full price (over 2000) the difference in performance wouldnt be worth it.

OP
pyroducksx3
Now the curveball. I was able to get the ziess 85 T FL with 20-75 eyepiece to within 312$ of the swaro 80mm non hd. Looks like I might get to be a bigtimer afterall. Im thinking a ziess is in my future!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Much of "small" point identification depends on conditions, background, time to observe, etc. I've been able to identify brow tine length on mule deer at 1000+ with my Swaro CT 75 30x most of the time. Saved a lot of dough, too.

ckleeves

WKR
What's the cheapest you guys have seen the Diascope 85 for?

Dotman posted a link on AT awhile back for one that was a screaming deal (demo I think) I think it was for around 1200.00 after the rebate without an eyepiece. I have seen a few on eBay go for around 1500 with eyepiece (used).

OP
pyroducksx3
Dotman posted a link on AT awhile back for one that was a screaming deal (demo I think) I think it was for around 1200.00 after the rebate without an eyepiece. I have seen a few on eBay go for around 1500 with eyepiece (used).

They wont honor the rebate on demo or used models

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been a bit disappointed with the big Diascope at x75. Atmosphere has to be just right for a clear image. I listen to BB and Luke talk it up and it makes me want to send it in for warranty. Very few times have I been able to crank it up and get a clear image.

dotman

WKR
I have been a bit disappointed with the big Diascope at x75. Atmosphere has to be just right for a clear image. I listen to BB and Luke talk it up and it makes me want to send it in for warranty. Very few times have I been able to crank it up and get a clear image.

I had similar experience using one. All the way cranked up it was hard to see clearly.

Last edited:
I have a Pentax PF65EDII and honestly don't see enough difference between the swaro65 and it to justify the added expense. I would like to eventually move up to the big Zeiss with 75x zoom though to have both scopes for different situations. I am very curious for those of you having issues with the big Zeiss just what the conditions are? How far away is the object, weather and sunlight conditions etc.

I really only see the big boy being used for sheep, goats and digiscoping. For sheep I see the 75x being useful at closer distances where heat waves will be less of an issue to see lamb tips.

Anyone try a polarizer on their Zeiss or Swaro scopes to help with heat waves? I have heard it helps but have not used one.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you can't get a sharp image at 75x under any circumstances, I would think there may be a defect. At that magnification, any atmospheric disturbance is going to interfere with the image though. The greater the distance, the more disturbed air you have to look through, and the greater the effect. The nice thing about the Zeiss is the 75x is there when you can use it, but you can always bump it down when the air isn't cooperating. I do that regularly.

I just used my Diascope to read my neighbor's power meter at almost 300 yards. The air was good.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, Matt is spot on!

It's not the scopes fault, but more from the heat waves/atmospheric disturbance.

I can glass at 75X first thing in the morning without issue, but around 10-12, it goes down hill.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Aron,

Mornings are best, and cloud cover can help under some circumstances. Mirage will be most troubling in desert-type areas with wide temperature swings. You never seem to get stable air in those places.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So I have the Meopta S2 and Zeiss 85 next to each other right now looking over about 40 head at 1000ish yards. There is some mild mirage but I can definitely get a little more detail with the Zeiss at 75 than the Meopta at 60. At 60 with both it is a push.