Spotting scope opinions

Great question. For years I used the viper HD 15-45x65 along with many other spotters in the entry level price range. They were ok for the price range I guess! But, I tend to use my 12x50 binos more than anything. If I had to do it all over again. I would have not bought any of those spotters and saves for quality glass...I'm still saving.

What binos are you running?
I tried just about all of them, including 2 pairs of Swaro SLC's, and finally settled on Zeiss Conquest HD's in 8x32 (their 10x42's are awesome as well). Many birders consider the 8x32's the best Conquest HD's made and I can see why. The image is fantastic. I didn't care for the position of the focus wheel on the SLC's and the focus wheel on both of my copies was not smooth. It's a common problem with SLC's. On a good tripod mount, I have located legal MD bucks from over a mile with just my 8x32 Conquests. I'm not a trophy hunter, but if I was I'd bring along a small 20-25x fixed mag spotter to confirm what I was finding with the 8x32's. I've bought and sold about 30 pairs of bins and 10 scopes in the past 4-5 years and right now I'm pretty settled on my Conquests and Opticron spotter. They do everything I need optics to do.

If someone told me I could only bring one optic on a hunt, it would be my 8x32 Conquests or a pair of 10x42's, along with my tripod and Outdoorsman stud and adapter. That combo is just incredible.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I tried just about all of them, including 2 pairs of Swaro SLC's, and finally settled on Zeiss Conquest HD's in 8x32 (their 10x42's are awesome as well). Many birders consider the 8x32's the best Conquest HD's made and I can see why. The image is fantastic. I didn't care for the position of the focus wheel on the SLC's and the focus wheel on both of my copies was not smooth. It's a common problem with SLC's. On a good tripod mount, I have located legal MD bucks from over a mile with just my 8x32 Conquests. I'm not a trophy hunter, but if I was I'd bring along a small 20-25x fixed mag spotter to confirm what I was finding with the 8x32's. I've bought and sold about 30 pairs of bins and 10 scopes in the past 4-5 years and right now I'm pretty settled on my Conquests and Opticron spotter. They do everything I need optics to do.

If someone told me I could only bring one optic on a hunt, it would be my 8x32 Conquests or a pair of 10x42's, along with my tripod and Outdoorsman stud and adapter. That combo is just incredible.
I haven’t ever heard of opticron. I’ll have to take a look. So far I’m happy with the meopta 12x50 and so far I feel it’s performed better than my razor uhd. The UHD might be a little better in edge clarity though.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the idea of having a spotting scope with me but I like to view through both eyes. I carry a 12x50 bino on the chest rig and a 18×56 bino in the bag. Both go on a tripod, both are killer.

If I was hunting sheep, goats, etc. I might get a spotter. For what I do, I can't beat the binos

I haven’t ever heard of opticron. I’ll have to take a look. So far I’m happy with the meopta 12x50 and so far I feel it’s performed better than my razor uhd. The UHD might be a little better in edge clarity though.
Those Meoptas on a good tripod mount are probably all you'll ever need tbh.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First gen Razor with the dual focus was good to me for several years. The 65mm can be had for around $600. Then put the extra $400 toward a sirui tripod/head.

We have some new condition for 695 on our website. That's by far the best bang for the buck and spotted scopes under 1K.

Paul

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I upgraded from my 65 Razor (first spotter) to a 55 Kowa, then a 77 Kowa. Both Kowas are well over the $1000 ceiling you mentioned, but they are incredible glass of you want to push the budget a bit more.
They make a very good spotting scope

You should be able to find a used meopta meopro for less than a thousand bucks. There were a couple that popped up this spring in the classifieds not sure if any are still available. It’s a stellar piece of glass for the money and is a pretty compact/ light option for an 80mm scope.

I'm thinking about selling mine to fund a Kowa 77. OP if you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you first crack at it.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
Does anyone know much about these? It’s a zeiss diascope 15-45x65. I can’t find much about them. There’s one used near me for around 1,000 but don’t know how it compares with some of the other options already talked about.

TaperPin

WKR
Shops must make larger margins on some brands in the mid range - I don’t see many shops that make it easy to compare scopes side by side any more. I even complained to the optics manager at the local Cabelas and he grinned a little and didn’t say a word other than to suggest I look at each resting against the side of some shelving.

At least to my eyes, with the very limited number I’ve had side by side, for under $1k the Razor and Leupold bk4 are essential the same with clarity. The new bk4 models don’t seem better or worse than a 20 year old gold ring.

I did learn something interesting about optics when ordering a used B&L from Japan - if a scope is stored in a high humidity area, fungus can grow on the glass and permanently leaving an etched surface after the fungus is wiped away. I’d carefully inspect any used optics and if there is the slightest haze that doesn’t clean off, it could be poor cleaning in the past and wear and tear scratches, or fungus.

Before I got my Meopta B.1 8x42 I purchased and retuned a pair of 10x42 conquest. I thought the Maven B2 11x45 were more clear.

Are the 8x32 better than the 10x42? I wouldn’t mind a lighter bino in my bino harness, these meoptas are heavy but damn are they good class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just stay away from Vortex anything.

I’ve killed a lot of mule deer and elk over the last 6 years either looking through a vortex spotter or rifle scope. I agree they are not the best but not sure they’re worthy of a stay away.

I would focus on razor and razor UHD, viper is iffy. I don’t mind my diamondback HP scopes out to 600 yards (as far as the BDC goes, I don’t trust scopes to dial unless spending too dollar)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have viper 10x42 binos, and my pops has similar magnification swaro binos that are at least 25 years old. Swaros only very very slightly outperform to my eyes. We use Leupold scopes almost exclusively, so I'm used to some at least decent quality glass.

Given that experience, as well as my budget, I have a hard time swallowing $1K+ for a legit brand glass.
Looking into a spotter myself for our upcoming muley hunt.
The "vibe" I'm getting from what I can read online is something like the Athlon Ares is the best bang for your buck unless you want to go up to swaro/leica/kowa/etc.
Interested to hear what you end up getting...

Also interesting that there seems to be some folks who just prefer some bigger mag binos on a tripod instead of a scope. I feel like I want 40x+ zoom for game ID, although I don't need to count points as I'm more of a meat hunter. So easy to get conflicted when reading opinions on the interwebs.

Leupold Gold Ring is good. If you can get your hands on one, I'd go that route. Baush & Lomb makes a good spotting scope for what you're about to try. That would be another option. Personally, I'm currently using Vortex.

Does anyone know much about these? It’s a zeiss diascope 15-45x65. I can’t find much about them. There’s one used near me for around 1,000 but don’t know how it compares with some of the other options already talked about.
I wouldn't spend $1k on that scope without looking through it and comparing it to other scopes. Or unless you could return it. For whatever reason, those older Zeiss and Leica scopes just don't hold their value.