Spotting scope opinions

Corbin99

FNG
Hey guys I’m looking for some suggestions for a spotting scope. I’m currently in school so I need to stay below 1,000. What are some good options in that price range? I’ve heard good things about the kowa and the Athlon. I’m also curious if I’d be better off buying an old Leica 62 or zeiss diascope 65.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 when I was “in school”. Still using it 15 years later lol. Haven’t upgraded. It’s light enough it is always been with me. Been on a lot of western hunts
I see them used regularly arround $600 for older used ones

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
First gen Razor with the dual focus was good to me for several years. The 65mm can be had for around $600. Then put the extra $400 toward a sirui tripod/head.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I bought a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 when I was “in school”. Still using it 15 years later lol. Haven’t upgraded. It’s light enough it is always been with me. Been on a lot of western hunts
I see them used regularly arround $600 for older used ones
I have that scope right now actually. It’s good but the focus is to stiff and it makes it really difficult to get focused.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
What are you using is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just as my do all spotter. I use my binos mostly but want a decent spotter so I can take a closer look when needed. I hike a lot so I’m also looking for something 65mm. I feel that’s a good middle ground.

cmahoney

WKR
Just as my do all spotter. I use my binos mostly but want a decent spotter so I can take a closer look when needed. I hike a lot so I’m also looking for something 65mm. I feel that’s a good middle ground.

What are you hunting? What binos do you have?

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
What are you hunting? What binos do you have?

I mainly use it for elk and mule deer but also for a bit of shed hunting. And I’m running 12x50 meopta b1 plus.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
That Leupold Gold Ring 12-40 HD is pretty damn solid for an all around, low cost option. The long Eye relief is really nice.

cmahoney

WKR
I mainly use it for elk and mule deer but also for a bit of shed hunting. And I’m running 12x50 meopta b1 plus.

I currently use a Swarovski STX with a 115 and a 65. I’ve had some other spotters of lesser brands around your price range and a little higher. If I was going to buy one spotter, I’d get something around 80mm. Even my Swaro 65 sucks in low light. If you are trying to look at a buck that comes out before dark it’s not the right spotter. I’d gladly carry the extra weight of an 80 to get an extra 15 minutes of glassing.

I’d also try to find something used in your price range to get more for your money.

I did have a Vortex Razor, the big one which I think was 85mm years ago. Edge to edge clarity sucked but it was OK glass for the money. It broke in half on my wife’s deer hunt, which sucked and they wouldn’t send me a loaner while they repaired the broken one. They did fix it though.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I currently use a Swarovski STX with a 115 and a 65. I’ve had some other spotters of lesser brands around your price range and a little higher. If I was going to buy one spotter, I’d get something around 80mm. Even my Swaro 65 sucks in low light. If you are trying to look at a buck that comes out before dark it’s not the right spotter. I’d gladly carry the extra weight of an 80 to get an extra 15 minutes of glassing.

I’d also try to find something used in your price range to get more for your money.

I did have a Vortex Razor, the big one which I think was 85mm years ago. Edge to edge clarity sucked but it was OK glass for the money. It broke in half on my wife’s deer hunt, which sucked and they wouldn’t send me a loaner while they repaired the broken one. They did fix it though.

I used to own the 2nd gen 85 razor and it was pretty good. I w just read some reviews that compared it to the Athlon and the Athlon seemed to shine compared to it.

You should be able to find a used meopta meopro for less than a thousand bucks. There were a couple that popped up this spring in the classifieds not sure if any are still available. It’s a stellar piece of glass for the money and is a pretty compact/ light option for an 80mm scope.

Hey guys I’m looking for some suggestions for a spotting scope. I’m currently in school so I need to stay below 1,000. What are some good options in that price range? I’ve heard good things about the kowa and the Athlon. I’m also curious if I’d be better off buying an old Leica 62 or zeiss diascope 65.
I've owned the older Leica and sold it within 3 days of getting it. I wasn't impressed. Have no experience with the Zeiss.

What other specs are you looking for on the scope (size and weight mainly)?

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I've owned the older Leica and sold it within 3 days of getting it. I wasn't impressed. Have no experience with the Zeiss.

What other specs are you looking for on the scope (size and weight mainly)?
Size and weight are a concern but I’d also carry a bit more weight if it meant having a better picture.

Honestly, I have had my vortex razor for about 6 years. I am very disappointed in it and wish I would have just saved my money and bought a better scope. I was just out of school and bought a Viper and sold it to get the Razor. Looking back now, it was easier to buy things before I got married and had a kiddo. Now money can't be justified for a spotter so I am stuck with the Razor for the long haul. Buy once, cry once and go for the Swaro, Leica, Kowa. Save if you have too. As silly as it sounds, I am saving change from things I buy with the family in order to buy a new one. I figure I have about 5 years of savings and then I can get a really good spotter. If I would have done what I advise, I would already have the nice spotter.

Size and weight are a concern but I’d also carry a bit more weight if it meant having a better picture.
There's always a better picture out there. 100mm scopes will outperform 80's and those will outperform 60's and so on. $3k scopes will outperform $2k scopes, and those will outperform $1k scopes (and so on)...

So you have to set some limits in the optics world and that will help you narrow down your selection. There are just so many choices now.

For true backcountry gear, my personal weight limit is about 2-2.5 lbs. for a spotter, and less than 12" in length. That way, it fits into a side pocket on my pack and is easily reachable when I need it. Other folks are willing to haul in bigger heavier scopes. But generally speaking, that's because they are interested in trophy hunting and they are looking for individual features on antlers. If you're just trying to tell if an animal is legal or not, a whole lot less scope will do just fine. For instance, I spotted a herd of bull elk from over 2 miles away with my 10x binoculars (on a good tripod) and could verify that at least two of them were legal (4 points on one side in CO) just with those binocs.

If you're just trying to verify whether an animal is legal or not, good quality binocs on a sturdy mount will do that for you - no spotter needed - within most reasonable distances that you'd be willing to chase that animal on a given day.

I find I use my spotter more from the vehicle anymore and less in the field. But I couldn't live without a very good pair of bins on a very good tripod mount. That setup gets about 90-95% of my time anymore.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
There's always a better picture out there. 100mm scopes will outperform 80's and those will outperform 60's and so on. $3k scopes will outperform $2k scopes, and those will outperform $1k scopes (and so on)...

So you have to set some limits in the optics world and that will help you narrow down your selection. There are just so many choices now.

For true backcountry gear, my personal weight limit is about 2-2.5 lbs. for a spotter, and less than 12" in length. That way, it fits into a side pocket on my pack and is easily reachable when I need it. Other folks are willing to haul in bigger heavier scopes. But generally speaking, that's because they are interested in trophy hunting and they are looking for individual features on antlers. If you're just trying to tell if an animal is legal or not, a whole lot less scope will do just fine. For instance, I spotted a herd of bull elk from over 2 miles away with my 10x binoculars (on a good tripod) and could verify that at least two of them were legal (4 points on one side in CO) just with those binocs.

If you're just trying to verify whether an animal is legal or not, good quality binocs on a sturdy mount will do that for you - no spotter needed - within most reasonable distances that you'd be willing to chase that animal on a given day.

I find I use my spotter more from the vehicle anymore and less in the field. But I couldn't live without a very good pair of bins on a very good tripod mount. That setup gets about 90-95% of my time anymore.
What binos are you running?

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG

I wasn’t impressed with my razor either. I might have to save for a really good spotter