Looking for a drop camp

ScottinPA

WKR
A buddy and I are looking for a drop camp archery hunt for elk in 2018. We've been thru the guided thing twice (both had opportunities and I shot a bull in 2014) and I did a DIY last year. He's not interested in the DIY type. States we're focusing on are CO, WY, MT, and possibly ID. J Bar H is on our list but may be booked for 2018 at this time. We're coming from NW PA. Looking for real world experience or knowledge of good outfits to start with and will narrow down the list as we do our homework. Thanks in advance.

Tallboy

FNG
Check out Two Bear Outfitters in Montana. Tell them Tallboy sent you. Seems the drop camp guys do pretty well there. Tent, food, transportation, and packing provided I believe. Alan Carter is a straight shooter and will give you the full run down. Good Luck!

KHNC

WKR
Drop camp at Fish lake by Boulder creek outfitters is usually pretty good. Fly in from Orofino ID.

fwafwow

WKR
A buddy and I are looking for a drop camp archery hunt for elk in 2018. We've been thru the guided thing twice (both had opportunities and I shot a bull in 2014) and I did a DIY last year. He's not interested in the DIY type. States we're focusing on are CO, WY, MT, and possibly ID. J Bar H is on our list but may be booked for 2018 at this time. We're coming from NW PA. Looking for real world experience or knowledge of good outfits to start with and will narrow down the list as we do our homework. Thanks in advance.

Where did you pick, and how was your hunt?

fwafwow

WKR
Ur messages are full!!! PM me and I have some good info for you.

A friend and I are in the early stages of the same for 1st archery in 2019, most likely CO or ID. If you don't mind, could you PM me the same info? TIA!

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Where did you pick, and how was your hunt?

Hunted a drop camp thru an outfitter in SW MT. One of the better hunts I've done for the price. Out of 6 days we heard or worked bulls 3 days. Wind was bad causing some issues. Tough terrain where the bulls were.
Accommodations left a lot to be desired. Kid that took us to camp didn't stick around to make sure wall tent and supplies were adequate. Nobody had checked it since last fall. Found mice floating in water pitchers. It was a mess. It was waterproof though.
We called in a couple big bulls and I screwed up on one of them. The other didn't give us a shot. I'd do it again but go in a little smarter and ask that the camp be checked out prior rather than assuming it was.