Looking for a good carry weapon - What should I go with?

A few questions you need to ask yourself, how familiar are you with semi-auto hand guns -- how many different types of hand guns have you shot -- what cals. were they -- how well did you control the gun while shooting it -- have you been to any professional shooting classes -- as mentioned what do you want to carry the gun for -- I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING VARIOUS HAND GUNS FOR MANY YEARS in many different situations from service grade military 1911s to Smith mod. 29s and 686s in competitions. My current carry gun is a Glock 27 in 40 cal. (summer carry ) or a Colt 1911 in 45 cal. (winter carry ) taught revolver,pistol marksmanship classes on a state level for 20 years. I find it interesting that one would ask for carry suggestions (as we all have different backgrounds and experience ) on a forum. So my suggestion is find a local gun club one that has pistol matches and offers classes, a indoor range or a dealer and observe and ask questions, get some range time with various models and cals. ( all you need to do is ask for assistance and let the others know what you want to do and I am sure there are members more than willing to help ) I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS AND IF SO I AM SORRY BUT BEING A NEW MEMBER AND WITH THE RECENT LOOSENING OF CCW LAWS this want is not a ego trip but a carry gun is a lot of responsibility not something you just jump into. Go slow train well and train often.

4rcgoat

WKR
A few questions you need to ask yourself, how familiar are you with semi-auto hand guns -- how many different types of hand guns have you shot -- what cals. were they -- how well did you control the gun while shooting it -- have you been to any professional shooting classes -- as mentioned what do you want to carry the gun for -- I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING VARIOUS HAND GUNS FOR MANY YEARS in many different situations from service grade military 1911s to Smith mod. 29s and 686s in competitions. My current carry gun is a Glock 27 in 40 cal. (summer carry ) or a Colt 1911 in 45 cal. (winter carry ) taught revolver,pistol marksmanship classes on a state level for 20 years. I find it interesting that one would ask for carry suggestions (as we all have different backgrounds and experience ) on a forum. So my suggestion is find a local gun club one that has pistol matches and offers classes, a indoor range or a dealer and observe and ask questions, get some range time with various models and cals. ( all you need to do is ask for assistance and let the others know what you want to do and I am sure there are members more than willing to help ) I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS AND IF SO I AM SORRY BUT BEING A NEW MEMBER AND WITH THE RECENT LOOSENING OF CCW LAWS this want is not a ego trip but a carry gun is a lot of responsibility not something you just jump into. Go slow train well and train often.
^^^^^ best advise ever

Huge P365 fan here. Never though I would be able to comfortably carry appendix, but now I do. Behind the hip carry, I would choose my Glock 19.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
For CCW purposes i was carrying a sig p320 x carry. Loved the gun. However due to the latest problems they've had with them I'm not willing to risk being shot out of the blue by my own gun. So I switched to my cz p-09. NOW if im out west and i was carrying. 454 Casull any day.

Lowg08

WKR
I agree with some others. Go handle many guns. I found I love how my Taurus G2C feels in my hand. 9mm. I wear XXL gloves so a smaller pistol is difficult for me. A friend of mine has the sig p365 XL. It felt nice in the hand but still pretty thin feeling to me.

I would handle a Glock 19 and a Sig365XL. I own both and like each one for different reasons. Can’t go wrong with either one and I don’t think there is currently a better carry pistol out there.

mi650

WKR
Thanks guys, I appreciate your suggestions and opinions.
1st, define affordable. That's a very subjective term. $2500 is easy for some, $500 a stretch for others. Fortunately, we live in a time that has pretty good options in just about every price range.

Then, decide how you're going to carry primarily. There is no 'one size fits all', so eventually you'll end up with several different holsters and at least a couple pistols.

Next, go to a range that has rentals, and try as many different pistols as you can. Even better, you'd have a buddy who has several you could try out and not have to rent them. You need to find out what fits you and what you shoot well. Nobody can tell you this. Personally, I don't like Glocks, they have the ergonomics of a brick. But they're a good option for a lot of people because they're cheap and they go bang when needed. HK & Sig have some good choices for about the same prices as Glocks.

I used to switch carry pistols every few months. 5 years ago, I bought a Wilson Combat EDC X9, and it's been my daily carry since. It's perfect FOR ME. I have others for the times I need something a little smaller or for deep concealment.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I love my M&P Shield 2.0. I prefer the trigger pull on it by a long shot over my son's Glock. The thin profile also conceals really well. On the other hand, he really likes shooting his Glock. We both carry 9mm. Find a dealer or range where you can shoot some different rental guns if possible.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

for me, the Sig P365 XL. It’s big enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal. If I’m wearing my baggy Carharts I can actually just slip it in my front pocket. BTW I don’t recommend front Pocket carry. Just saying it’s small and handy. As others have said try a few different things out. Whatever you decide on make sure there’s plenty of food available for it, and practice a lot.

The best carry gun is one you’ll carry every day and practice with regularly. A quality midsize double stack 9 is tough to beat(Glock 19 or similar).

Finding the right carry guns (plural for good reason) is a process involving shooting, carrying and training with different sidearms. My EDC is a full size G22 but I'm a big guy with big hands and conceal it easily. It's too big for many smaller men. Then there are times when all I carry is my LCR which weighs less than my keys. It's my "dress" gun when I want something small. But deciding which gun to strap isn't merely a seasonal decision or apparel issue...it is also an awareness of the probable risks. While I avoid "bad places" there are times I have no choice but to spend time in a city with crummy crime stats and I go in heavy. Big gun, big mags, more mags, knife, flashlight, pepper gel, tactical pen...the whole nine. Not very often but when the place you're visiting is a war zone (and there's a lot of them in my state where older white guys wearing suits are easy targets) I take every measure I can. In the end...your EDC needs to be sufficient to the situations you'll find yourself in and that requires a degree of selectability. I have several sidearms on my CCW card for different needs and practice regularly with them, both live fire and digital scenario training. Carrying a gun without professional training is like jumping into a racecar and winging it. You may die...or get completely F'ed up and/or tossed in prison. Find the guns that fit you, that you can shoot well (I like .40 cal), that you can carry comfortably and discreetly then buy a crap-ton of ammo and practice-practice-practice. When you can draw and accurately fire two rounds in under 2 seconds you'll begin to have a clue.

Last edited: