magnetospeed users...

letrbuck

WKR
Folks that are using a MagnetoSpeed during load development...

I know on lighter contour barrels they will cause a POI shift, do they change barrel harmonics enough to make a big difference in group size?

I guess another question would be have any of you gotten a good group with a MagnetoSpeed attached and then that load didn't group once it was removed? Or vice-versa?

KineKilla

WKR
My poi and group size did not change on my 7mm. I imagine it could though.

I like to do my load development using group size and consistency as the sole goal. Once I know the rifle likes that load, I use the chrono to gather the speed, es and sd data for scope calibration.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
I personally shoot about same size groups with it on as off on 3-4 different cartridges/guns.

That said almost always the POI does shift down a tad. Thinner barrels more than thicker.

I’d say worst is 4” at 100yds.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the barrel. My little pencil barrel. 243 has a POI shift of like an inch and the groups only open slightly if at all. My heavy barrel. 223 has a POI shift of nearly 6" and groups open tremendously. My heavy barrel other gun has almost no shift of either. I can list every barrel and there is no rhyme or reason.

Wyohunth

FNG
Small Poi shift for me, but I’ve not shot enough Rounds with one on to say if groups open up.

On my Sporter barrels decent poi shift like 2-3 in. My comp gun is a heavy varmint savage profile like .1 mil shift in poi. AR platform stuff is little less then Sporter barrels for poi shift

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Agreed above- my magnetospeed picked up shots super well but the POI & grouping shift on-off drove me crazy as a variable.

Switched to a Labradar and while it’s nice having the barrel free, Im not sure if the app disconnecting and occasional missed shots is much better..

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t use the Magneto-speed during accuracy shooting in load development. I shoot my groups, then after I have selected my most accurate load, then shoot at least a group of five for my velocity data. I don’t think the weight of the chrono hanging off the tip of the barrel would move the POI a lot, but during accuracy testing, I don’t want to take that chance.

TxLite

WKR
My group sizes remain consistent but poi shifts anywhere from .5-2” depending on which rifle it’s on. I do load development with it mounted then remove it to confirm/adjust zero, then take it to distance to confirm velocities/bc.